What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday Thread: Freedom Friday!

Blippy5

Certified Noble
This is an example of techniques used to goad the sheep into agreeing: a "question" wrapped in the obvious implication that anyone who believes this is just stupid. But when viewed from reality, the idea isn't so preposterous. Obamacare tried very hard to force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions, and many states are misinterpreting existing discrimination laws to fine "non-compliant" businesses out of existence.

So, to answer:
1. No, I'm not stupid.
2. Yes, religious liberty is under attack because of legalized homosexual marriage. The same laws misused in other instances are quite likely to be misapplied to religious organizations.
I did not mean to imply that you are stupid. Can you give me reasons why same sex marriage violates your religious freedoms?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Well, these idiots exist(ed):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_Back!
"On November 9, 2008, a contingent from Bash Back!'s Lansing chapter picketed outside Mount Hope Church, because the church promoted traditional biblical strictures concerning homosexuality. Meanwhile, several Bash Back! members entered the building disguised in plain-clothes and disrupted a worship service. During the late morning service the group dropped a rainbow banner bearing the slogan "It's Okay to Be Gay! Bash Back!" from the sanctuary balcony [The horror!] and showered a thousand fliers exhorting teenagers in the congregation to "embrace and explore" their feelings, and assuring them there are many organizations supportive of gays that "enable you to be who you truly are." [Savages!] The group set off a fire alarm when exiting the building [That's illegal, and wastes police resources! These are clearly dangerous individuals!]"
However that particular group of idiots is defunct, so I don't know of any other gay "terrorists" LMAO

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
How about the opinions of three Supreme Court Justices?

Justice Clarence Thomas: "It appears all but inevitable that [civil marriage and religious marriage] will come into conflict, particularly as individuals and churches are confronted with demands to participate in and endorse civil marriages between same-sex couples"

Chief Justice John Roberts: "The majority graciously suggests that religious believers may continue to 'advocate' and 'teach' their views of marriage," writes Roberts. "The First Amendment guarantees, however, the freedom to 'exercise' religion. Ominously, that is not a word the majority uses."

Justice Samuel Alito:"The majority attempts, toward the end of its opinion, to reassure those who oppose same-sex marriage that their rights of conscience will be protected. We will soon see whether this proves to be true. I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.
::giveup2::

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Well public opinion is not made by the law. To me, those opinions worry of things to come. They do not have specific reasons.

I would say, it appears to me, that those who oppose are hurt that they are no longer the vocal majority. That they fear discrimination, which had very much been the standard for the lgbt community. Many of us are damaged by growing up in a world that tells us our existence is wrong.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I did not mean to imply that you are stupid. Can you give me reasons why same sex marriage violates your religious freedoms?
I would say a couple of things are going to happen:
(1) Christian churches will be taken to court for refusing to marry gays.
(2) Christian churches that refuse to marry gays will have their tax exempt status taken away by the government, which will cause some of those churches to close for financial reasons.

Those two things haven't happened yet - that I know of - but it seems to me the gay rights industry will continue its business as usual. It is an industry with plenty of dollars to be made just like the race industry will continue to ply its trade. There is no money to be made when people are satisfied and living together peacefully. Keeping people stirred up and angry with one another is when the private donations and government money rolls in.

Last edited:

Blippy5

Certified Noble
@awametal - such a case would not seem to have a chance. The church can refuse a same sex marriage, they are allowed to have their religion. The state however, can not refuse, they are not a religion. You can choose to participate in religion, but ( like it or not) everyone is subject to govt.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
@Deleted User the damage I referred to doesn't come from being a minority,. It is rooted in children seeing seeing signs that say "god hates fags", in fear their families will disown them, in hiding who they are, the fear of violence, every time a relative says "damn fags". I am not saying that you are the cause of these things, but that angry and hate filled people cause damage.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Deleted User the damage I referred to doesn't come from being a minority,. It is rooted in children seeing seeing signs that say "god hates fags", in fear their families will disown them, in hiding who they are, the fear of violence, every time a relative says "damn fags". I am not saying that you are the cause of these things, but that angry and hate filled people cause damage.
Of course there is the damage done by actual violence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard
And these things happened:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_acts_of_violence_against_LGBT_people#United_States

I searched for a list of violent acts against Christians, that were committed because of hatred of the Christian religion, in the United States, but I couldn't find any. Obviously there was the recent deplorable shooting in the AME Church in Charleston, but that was clearly racially motivated.

kava

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Do people seriously believe thier religious liberty is under attack because of same sex marriage? No one has said a church has to preform a wedding. I honestly can't figure out if people believe that, or it's just a line.
I know a photographer that was forced to take photos of a gay wedding against his will even though it was against his religious belief.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Chris, didn't you say you only peel the stumps, not the lateral roots? Maybe that's what those are?
Yes you are correct we only peel the stump but I can tell that the kava in the picture is not lateral roots it is the stump and should have been peeled.
The structure in the roots are a different shape than the stump and it is unmistakable. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Ok, you guys got into religion again when my back was turned. :rolleyes: All I gotta say is, "Pan Fried Sexuals Unite!". Maybe we can get some government handouts since we are so damn special. :sneaky: