What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday Thread: Freedom Friday!

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
That is an interesting and well-reasoned article. I don't agree with the conclusion that we have entered an era where Christians are "exiles" within our country... but appreciate the perspective.

I like our live and let live people on this forum where we respect others opinions and we don't all have to think alike. It seems society could learn a lot from kava drinkers.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I like our live and let live people on this forum where we respect others opinions and we don't all have to think alike. It seems society could learn a lot from kava drinkers.
It's hard to get angry after a few shells. Also shouting is unpleasant ;)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
So, this is my opinion:
- Marriage between consenting adults should be legal.

Corollaries:
- Marriage between a man and a woman should be legal
- Gay marriage should be legal
- Polygamy should be legal if no parties are coerced or underage
- Marriage to animals should not be legal, because animals are not capable of giving consent
- Likewise, children are not capable of consenting, and should not be allowed to marry
- @HeadHodge should be allowed to marry himself

Any questions? :D
Very well laid out opinion and I agree in part but I don't think you can use the consent argument with animals. Considering we eat (kill) them on a daily basis without their consent.

D

Deleted User01

Well, I'm doing some Mahakea and Papa Kea and everything is pleasant right now. @Deleted User, I would like to extend to you a warm pan fried invitation to join our Pan-Fried Sexual Society. For your inititation, you have to eat a Texas Style Portion of Chicken Fried Steak and you have to finish the french fries. :hungry: Cream gravy is optional. Of course, we are a non-religious non profit group and thus you are under no constraints. For you no-carb guys, just remember, this is pure fat, no carbs. It fits right in to your diet.
Disclaimer. The Pan Fried Sexual Society is not liable for the clogging of arteries and/or mild heart attacks that may result at our initiations. If you are not sure about your arteries, please get a second opinion from your Doctor before embarking on this pan-fried experience.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Very well laid out opinion and I agree in part but I don't think you can use the consent argument with animals. Considering we eat (kill) them on a daily basis without their consent.
True, there is an argument to be made for not eating animals. I like to eat animals, though. But there are laws against unnecessary cruelty to animals, which are justified in my opinion, and I think that "marrying" an animal (which since they can't consent would basically amount to raping an animal) would be a form of cruelty, and should not be allowed. Yes, we eat them, but that doesn't give us carte blanche to do whatever we want to them...

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
True, there is an argument to be made for not eating animals. I like to eat animals, though. But there are laws against unnecessary cruelty to animals, which are justified in my opinion, and I think that "marrying" an animal (which since they can't consent would basically amount to raping an animal) would be a form of cruelty, and should not be allowed. Yes, we eat them, but that doesn't give us carte blanche to do whatever we want to them...
I like to eat animals too. And the are usually happy afterwards. :)

My definition of marriage:
A marriage is a Union between one thing and one or more other things.

If I was going to create a Marriage database the Relationship Diagram would be:

| THING | <====>> | THING |

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've just married a kava plant, so I assume everything will be fine when I file my taxes as "Married filing jointly". And strangely enough, my plant has no income, so in addition to the normal benefits I'll also get Earned Income Credit. And it is old enough to take cuttings, so next year I'm expecting a lot of exemptions!
As long as your plant has a SSN I think you're golden (unless you're claiming dependents maybe). If your plant doesn't have one of those I know people in San Diego that can hook you up.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
As long as your plant has a SSN I think you're golden (unless you're claiming dependents maybe). If your plant doesn't have one of those I know people in San Diego that can hook you up.
Oh and don't forget to name your plant and have the name on various accounts (i.e. utility bills, bank accounts). Then your plant will be able to vote in the 2016 elections!!!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Oh and don't forget to name your plant and have the name on various accounts (i.e. utility bills, bank accounts). Then your plant will be able to vote in the 2016 elections!!!
Also if your plant happens to be an African American or American Indian plant, well then we're talking some extra dinero my friend.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I like to eat animals too. And the are usually happy afterwards. :)

My definition of marriage:
A marriage is a Union between one thing and one or more other things.

If I was going to create a Marriage database the Relationship Diagram would be:

| THING | <====>> | THING |
I think you need to use a many-many relationship to cover all the cases, and abstract "the marriage" to a separate table:
hedgie_marriage.jpg

verticity

I'm interested in things
Just had an interesting thought... This same sex "marriage" thing opens a LOT of financial opportunities. For instance, if an individual who is qualified for Social Security benefits dies, their spouse continues to receive those benefits. This opens enormous opportunities for "financial match sites", which would (for a fee) pair young people with old folks receiving benefits but near death. All you have to do is get "married", and boom - the Government gets to pay for 50+ extra years! I predict Social Security will be declared bankrupt very soon...
Well, this is theoretically possible for opposite sex marriages, too, but I don't think it's a thing.

Polygamy on the other hand.. imagine the board of directors of a large corporation all getting married to each other...

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've just married a kava plant, so I assume everything will be fine when I file my taxes as "Married filing jointly". And strangely enough, my plant has no income, so in addition to the normal benefits I'll also get Earned Income Credit. And it is old enough to take cuttings, so next year I'm expecting a lot of exemptions!
I believe the correct filing status for that is "Single smoking a joint"

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It's possible, but the potential for child support would make it risky for both parties. Where procreation is impossible, that risk doesn't exist.

This also raises a further question of "inequality"; with a male/female relationship, parental support of children is automatically assumed to be the responsibility of both parties. DNA testing might prove otherwise, but the burden of proof is on the parents. If a same-sex couple manages to reproduce (obviously with help, lol), who are the responsible parents? No one?
Would your plant pay child support??

verticity

I'm interested in things
It's possible, but the potential for child support would make it risky for both parties. Where procreation is impossible, that risk doesn't exist.

This also raises a further question of "inequality"; with a male/female relationship, parental support of children is automatically assumed to be the responsibility of both parties. DNA testing might prove otherwise, but the burden of proof is on the parents. If a same-sex couple manages to reproduce (obviously with help, lol), who are the responsible parents? No one?
Huh? If a same sex couple adopted a child, or somehow reproduced without the aid of the opposite sex, they would both be responsible for the child, same as for hetero couples...
But if such a "matching" service did exist: I don't think it would be such an issue for opposite sex couples. Case 1 - A young man marries an old, dying woman to get her benefits: no risk of unwanted kids. Case2 - A young woman marries an old, dying man: she can refuse to have sex with him or use birth control: no risk of unwanted kids. Not quite seeing your point here.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I agree that it's bad to mistreat any animal but with the topic of marriage... It doesn't have to all be about a sexual relationship. If it's about love and getting government benefits, why can't I marry my dog? Companionship, love, it's all there. Why stop with same sex marriage at this point?