What's new

30 % kavalactones ?

verticity

I'm interested in things
30% is not that high. It seems like it is kind of a standard for a lot of the extracts/pills that I see. There are some kavas that actually have up to 20% KLs in the raw root. I've seen extracts being sold that claim to have 84% KLs.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Since starting this endeavor about 4 years ago we have ended up trying pretty much every extract available. This includes manufacturers from China, Germany, Vanuatu, NZ, and the US. The bulk of what's available as a 30% dry extract is often all from the same manufacturer but sold by many different suppliers. The original brand name is Kaviar and I know VKS was offering it at one time but it looks like they have switched to their own instant.

IMO it is awful. Literally tastes like battery acid when mixed with water or juice. That is often why it is sold in capsule form to avoid hitting your taste buds.

Pretty much anything between 20-60% is going to be solvent extracted unless it is mixed with with a carrier or diluting agent. 65-90% is usually going to be your CO2 extractions.

I have sent Deleted User a number of these samples we had left over from all the sourcing. For reasons of inability to confirm source with most of the manufacturers, hit or miss on effects, and resulting Tudei symptoms from most, we decided to contract a company to custom extract the root varietals we source into extract form for us until we purchase a supercritical extractor.

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
30% is not that high. It seems like it is kind of a standard for a lot of the extracts/pills that I see. There are some kavas that actually have up to 20% KLs in the raw root. I've seen extracts being sold that claim to have 84% KLs.
I've seen a lot of kavas and many HPLCs. I've never seen a result showing anything near 20% for a dry root. Most I've seen is around 12%, and that is very rare. If you know someone growing a quality kava like that, and they have lab results to back it up, put them in touch with me. I'd love to add their root to our lineup.

Correct about the instant/extract. This is likely a 30% extract, which is pretty standard. Most instants tend to be between 9% and 12%.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A processor in Vanuatu told me that village level processing often has to wash and sun dry the kava more than once.
Everytime you do that, it loses some potency. That's why stuff like Nambawan, WOW! & Five Star seem fresher and stronger.
Here's a list of some test samples:
https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?A=ShowDocPartFrame&ID=6587&DocPartID=6114#page=7
I'm not sure if they were tested fresh or dry, but you can see 14% 15% pop up pretty regularly. Even up to 20%.
But most common is 8-12%.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
A processor in Vanuatu told me that village level processing often has to wash and sun dry the kava more than once.
Everytime you do that, it loses some potency. That's why stuff like Nambawan, WOW! & Five Star seem fresher and stronger.
Here's a list of some test samples:
https://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?A=ShowDocPartFrame&ID=6587&DocPartID=6114#page=7
I'm not sure if they were tested fresh or dry, but you can see 14% 15% pop up pretty regularly. Even up to 20%.
But most common is 8-12%.
I do see one kava variety on that list at just over 20%, then a few at 14% and 15%. These are likely from fresh root. Drying root does diminish potency some so those percentages would make sense. Like I said, never seen a dry root much over 12%. I would like to get my hands on that 20.8% though. Even dried it would possibly be some very interesting stuff.

I'd have to go back and look at results to be sure, but even our potent Nambawan is only around 11% if I'm not mistaken.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've seen a lot of kavas and many HPLCs. I've never seen a result showing anything near 20% for a dry root.
You may be right. I have seen numbers near or above 20% in the literature, but those may be for the fresh root, before drying. I would imagine some of the KLs would evaporate during the drying process.
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava claims on his web site that his Mahakea is 19%, not clear if that's for the fresh root or powder.
This book lists one sample of papa ele ele tested (by V. Lebot) at 20.8% (p. 52) (although other plants tested lower). But true that most of the total KL measurements of native Hawaiian cultivars in that book are between 10-15%.
The paper The Origin and Distribution of Kava (1989) by Lebot and Levesque lists several near or above 20%.
But even if the maximum number is 12 or 15%, my point remains that a 30% extract is on the same order of magnitude of potency of high quality root.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I've seen a lot of kavas and many HPLCs. I've never seen a result showing anything near 20% for a dry root. Most I've seen is around 12%.
I also have seen a lot of kavas and HPLC and I guess you must be looking in the wrong place, Hawaii is full of kava that will regularly reach over 12% total kavalactone content and even into the 20% range too, even in Vanuatu they have kava that has been tested at 20% as Verticity said, it is well documented with HPLC and HPTLC tests from kava experts. In the photo you will see the results from just one Hawaiian variety, there are a dozen more Hawaiian varieties.
You can see in the picture that these tests were done by a reputable company that has been selling kava for a very long time.
There are a lot of studies that were done here in Hawaii by kava experts with the help farmers like me, in fact I provided some of the samples for this actual test that you see in the picture. These studies that were done to find out what would increase the kavalactone content and the studies show that it is in fact the way you grow, the variety and the soil, even the sun has an effect on the overall kavalactone content that is why we farmers here in Hawaii are able to grow high potency kava.
I hope you all enjoy the picture and now you all know that the total kavalactone content can get up to or even higher than 20%.
If anyone has any questions about these test results or would like to see more from other Hawaiian varieties then just let me know, aloha.

Chris
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava are these results from fresh kava or dried/processed kava? On the same note, have you noticed any variable percentage of KL between dried and fresh?
Hi Kapm, it says right at the top of the picture that it was done with dry lateral roots. I have not seen any great difference in the kavalactone content with wet root vs dry root. Remember it takes 5 pounds of fresh root to make 1 pound of dry powder so even if we go past that and use 10 pounds we still get the same total kavalactone content, we just have more of the kava material that's all. I do believe that the fresh root contains certain things like enzymes and things like that, I think it is what makes the fresh root so good. That is what I based my method of making instant kava with, I wanted to keep the enzymes and other stuff that are destroyed with the heat of grinding or other processing methods.
Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava - What do you base the 19% number for your Mahakea on? Do you have HPLC results for that?
This was a test done by Dr. Lebot using HPTLC. I am still waiting on the paperwork, Dr. Lebot is not in Vanuatu right now, he is in Europe till the end of the month. I should have the paper work not too long after that.
If you would like to see them when I get them I will be happy to email them to you. Aloha.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
This was a test done by Dr. Lebot using HPTLC. I am still waiting on the paperwork, Dr. Lebot is not in Vanuatu right now, he is in Europe till the end of the month. I should have the paper work not too long after that.
If you would like to see them when I get them I will be happy to email them to you. Aloha.

Chris
I think it would be of general interest to people on the forum, maybe you could post it here?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I also have seen a lot of kavas and HPLC and I guess you must be looking in the wrong place, Hawaii is full of kava that will regularly reach over 12% total kavalactone content and even into the 20% range too, even in Vanuatu they have kava that has been tested at 20% as Verticity said, it is well documented with HPLC and HPTLC tests from kava experts. In the photo you will see the results from just one Hawaiian variety, there are a dozen more Hawaiian varieties.
You can see in the picture that these tests were done by a reputable company that has been selling kava for a very long time.
There are a lot of studies that were done here in Hawaii by kava experts with the help farmers like me, in fact I provided some of the samples for this actual test that you see in the picture. These studies that were done to find out what would increase the kavalactone content and the studies show that it is in fact the way you grow, the variety and the soil, even the sun has an effect on the overall kavalactone content that is why we farmers here in Hawaii are able to grow high potency kava.
I hope you all enjoy the picture and now you all know that the total kavalactone content can get up to or even higher than 20%.
If anyone has any questions about these test results or would like to see more from other Hawaiian varieties then just let me know, aloha.

Chris
[/URL][/IMG]
I must be missing something. I see one at 15%. Still looking for that 20%. Where are these samples from? Are they your kava?