What's new

Kava Science A Kavalactone Mystery Solved? Maybe, for me at least...

Pink

Kava Curious
Could it be just as simple as kava kava you got is very strong in kavalacktones ?
and daily usage would add up eventually,since i know your not new to kava and probably get every bit while preparing it and making it as potent as it can get, thus getting adverse effects.
how about reducing how many grams you take per day to see how it works,or trying different strain.As so far being on this forum i noticed couple posts where people got same effects while trying kava kava for the first time-anxiety high BP.

now dont want to mix kava with other herbs and medicine that exists,but same basic rule applies to almost anything when taken too much eventually people start getting adverse effects,be it week or year in the process.

Since someone mentioned in my post that kava kava is used for over 3 thousand years,but we forget that kava kava is a ritual drink and only those of high rank would drink it during ceremonies,until it became more widespread and available to everyone.

On the other note does anyone have more links to kava kava documentaries,as so far i know only of one on youtube full lenght that was made quite a while ago,Since its interesting to me to see actual people and their traditions towards kava kava.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
How does this compare to Fu'u? I'm asking because there's some oddball kavas out there, and Tongan's ability to make me feel as if I've just figured out the answer to a difficult problem might be the excitatory response described above.

Timothy Lanier

Noble Clouds E-liquid co-Owner/partner
Kava Vendor
Two quick notes. I don't believe the activity of yangonin at the CB1 receptor is known; it could be an agonist, it could be an antagonist. So we cannot assume that it affects us in a way similar to THC. Secondly, I'm not sure it is present in normal water extracts to any significant degree. See this study where quite high temperatures were required to efficienctly extract yangonin.

(http://www.researchgate.net/profile..._kava_root/links/0deec51567d9b3fe60000000.pdf)

Infraredz tried to fix the part where it says "mimics THC" long ago, but it got edited back. If you check the sources of that article, you'll see it makes the leap from yangonin's CB1 affinity to agonism and THC similarity on its own.
we have a generous proportion of yangonin in Noble Clouds. And just like complementary terpenes synergize and raise affinity concerning cannabinoids, we believe the same holds true when it comes to kavalactones and terpenoid synergies.

Timothy Lanier

Noble Clouds E-liquid co-Owner/partner
Kava Vendor
Several months ago I purchased 200g of GHK Moi Instant, and have been using it sparingly ever since. It's fantastic for a quick head boost, and very powerful. But it's also rather expensive, so I'd never done a full session with it. Since I was nearly out and the cultivar seemed great, I ordered Moi Instant, Micronized, and Medium Grind so I'd have a supply on hand.

With the typical kavahead attitude of "some is good, more must be great" I started a steady diet of Moi medium grind last Wednesday, using my normal prep. The day went well, and my somewhat increased energy level came in handy for the Holiday festivities. I continued drinking Moi exclusively, but by Friday afternoon I was noticing an increase in anxiety, pulse and BP.

I attributed this to the change in schedule for the holiday, but was increasingly anxious (with a corresponding increase in BP) into and through Friday night. BP was still up this morning, so I started investigating what might be causing the effects. What I came up with is interesting: Compared to my regular kava diet, Moi is quite high in yangonin:

Yangonin is not a kavalactone that gets much attention, so I looked it up. Here's what I found:

"Yangonin is one of the six major kavalactones found in the kava plant. It has been shown to possess significant binding affinity for the cannabinoid receptor CB1. As a result of this cannabinoid receptor activity, yangonin may be responsible for some of kava's intoxicating effects. The CB1 agonist activity of yangonin mimics some of the psychoactive effects of THC. This, along with the GABAergic effects of other kavalactones has given kava a use in the ethnobotanical treatment of anxiety, insomnia, pain, and other disorders. This anxiety relief is unlikely to be contributed to Yangonin's CB1 agonistic properties as CB1 agonism is known to be anxiogenic rather than anxiolytic."
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangonin)

Is this the reason for my increased anxiety and BP? The kavalactone profiles of my regular kavas are very similar to Moi, with the exception of yangonin... Obviously not a scientific test in the slightest, but not psychosomatic either since I was expecting great things, and got less than great. I've had a couple of shells of Boronguru so far today (it is also low in Y, like my regulars), and am showing a decrease in BP and anxiety levels.

This is not intended to bring bad light on Moi at all, this is a fine noble kava, it just does not seem to work for me in the capacity I expected. My intent for this post is to add another piece to the puzzle of how kavalactones affect us. I'll continue to monitor and report, but so far it looks like Moi needs to be an "occasional use" kava for me (where it is exceptionally effective), not a daily diet.

Garry
Great insight:)