What's new

A new article about kava: Meet Kava Tea, a Prescription-Free Alternative to Xanax

D

Deleted User01

Thanks @Henry, there was both good and bad in the article. You know what? (Sabes Que Compa?) I'm not a fan of Kava Bars. I don't like the idea of people getting "rooted" on kava and then getting a DUI and then the red flags go up at the FDA. And why do they get a DUI, because the kava is spiked or they abused it. That being said, I have driven to hell in back after doing kava with no problems. But I only do Noble Kava and I do it responsibly. So I know we are supposed to play nice with everyone but this is my opinion. I'm like the Donald Trump of Kava Bars. (Except for the crappy hair-do and the hate thing).

Disclaimer. The opinion of Deleted User01 and any other furry creatures which haunt the Kava Forums does not necessarily represent the opinions of other members of this Fine Establishment.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thanks @Henry, there was both good and bad in the article. You know what? (Sabes Que Compa?) I'm not a fan of Kava Bars. I don't like the idea of people getting "rooted" on kava and then getting a DUI and then the red flags go up at the FDA. And why do they get a DUI, because the kava is spiked or they abused it. That being said, I have driven to hell in back after doing kava with no problems. But I only do Noble Kava and I do it responsibly. So I know we are supposed to play nice with everyone but this is my opinion. I'm like the Donald Trump of Kava Bars. (Except for the crappy hair-do and the hate thing).

Disclaimer. The opinion of Deleted User01 and any other furry creatures which haunt the Kava Forums does not necessarily represent the opinions of other members of this Fine Establishment.
I can respect that, but noble or not, kava affects motor function, so you drinking a bunch of noble and driving isn't really much different. It's up to kava bar employees and owners to make sure that people understand that after a certain amount, kava consumption and driving don't mix, and to even cut people off if necessary. We've cut people off on more than one occasion at Bula Kava House.

Also, as I'm sure you know, the use of kava in a public setting has been happening in Vanuatu for quite some time, so we can't say it's not "traditional".

Kava brings people together in an increasingly disconnected world. You should see the beautiful community that has developed at my place over the years. People from vastly different lives who would otherwise likely never interact become close friends at the kava bar. Kava bar patrons study, they laugh together, cry together, work, play games, make important life decisions, come up with fantastic ideas, and so much more, all over shells of kava. I wish you were close enough to spend a few evenings there, it's such an amazingly positive environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
At the end of the day, this is actually a pretty good kava article, relatively speaking. It's important to mention the liver health topic, and the author handled it well. It's also important that people know that kava is absolutely an intoxicant. I think many people assume kava affects drinkers at a level similar to chamomile or tryptophan.

Of course I like that we're mentioned, but Bula Kava House doesn't have much of a "tiki" vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I can respect that, but noble or not, kava affects motor function, so you drinking a bunch of noble and driving isn't really much different. It's up to kava bar employees and owners to make sure that people understand that after a certain amount, kava consumption and driving don't mix, and to even cut people off if necessary. We've cut people off on more than one occasion at Bula Kava House.

Also, as I'm sure you know, the use of kava in a public setting has been happening in Vanuatu for quite some time, so we can't say it's not "traditional".

Kava brings people together in an increasingly disconnected world. You should see the beautiful community that has developed at my place over the years. People from vastly different lives who would otherwise likely never interact become close friends at the kava bar. Kava bar patrons study, they laugh together, cry together, work, play games, make important life decisions, come up with fantastic ideas, and so much more, all over shells of kava. I wish you were close enough to spend a few evenings there, it's such an amazingly positive environment.
I'm glad you commented on this. I go back and forth about the whole kava bar situation.

On one end, I feel like associating kava with a bar of any sort promotes a negative image. I don't want kava to look like another booze, creating even more dependence on drugs. Additionally, other herbs added into many kava bars' kava could give this wonderful root a bad name.

On the other, I feel like certain kava bars promote what you're talking about. Community and a strong moral responsibility to protect kava (in many various ways) are what I would look for in a kava bar. Unfortunately, I feel like this is hard to come by; at least of those that I've seen online. Keep on keepin' on, @Judd Rench .

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Personally I loved the article. Fair, level-headed and comprehensive journalism. I suspect we'll see more and more of these. Regarding kava bars, I'm very pro kava bar because I think kava bars are making kava culturally relevant in the US and spreading awareness.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I have mixed feelings about the kava bars. I like the idea of a calm cafe/nakamal type venue for early evening kava tranquility. I am not sure about the "legal-high" - pseudo-booze bar type bars. The latter seem to attract the wrong kind of attention and a very peculiar type of clients.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
Bula kava house is a fantastic little oasis. I chatted the day away with super mellow, knowledgeable and friendly staff and met and had a conversation with a lady who had 20+ years clean and sober over a shell. I've not been to any other kava bars but I am all for more places like BKH in the world

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about the kava bars. I like the idea of a calm cafe/nakamal type venue for early evening kava tranquility. I am not sure about the "legal-high" - pseudo-booze bar type bars. The latter seem to attract the wrong kind of attention and a very peculiar type of clients.
Exactly my thoughts. Couldn't have phrased it better.

Bwiggy

I like plants
When I invite my friends to drink kava with me, I tell them to not eat for at least four hours and that kava really doesn't work unless you have an empty stomach.
In the article the author says he threw up after drinking kava because he had an empty stomach.
Because of that, I decided to not share the article with friends, even though I could really use some positive PR to share with people about kava.
Anyone have any thoughts on the throwing up because of an empty stomach issue?
Maybe he means he didn't eat all day?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well, it could have been the kava they serve. As we all know, some kavas, especially the non-noble varieties, are more likely to cause severe nausea than other types. One kava I bought from a US vendor made me sick for the whole night. It turned out to be a heavily tudei-spiked kava. I sometimes feel a bit nauseous from drinking A LOT of noble kava, but I've never been sick. So make sure you choose the right kava.

At the same time, it's clear to me that drinking kava on an empty stomach generally potentiates both its positive and negative effects. I remember that after my first day in Vanuatu (and drinking noble, fresh kava on an empty stomach) I found it was a bit too strong, so the next day I would have a light meal two hours before going to the nakamals.