What's new

A New Lifestyle

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Good for you. Kava is helping me with cravings as I have been eating better the last few weeks.
For you mate drinkers. How do you all prep it? Do you need the traditional strainer? What brand of Mate is good to order? I tried it once at a Brazilian friend's house. Since being on kava I stopped drinking caffeine but uplifting without the jitters sounds nice.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I'm curious about the mate as well. I've tried it once or twice, but it always had a terrible taste -- not something I could sip all day long. It seemed to be like drinking hot grass water. Some people like it, so maybe I'm not doing it right? Maybe I need to experiment with prep methods or different brands?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm curious about the mate as well. I've tried it once or twice, but it always had a terrible taste -- not something I could sip all day long. It seemed to be like drinking hot grass water. Some people like it, so maybe I'm not doing it right? Maybe I need to experiment with prep methods or different brands?
You could try the toasted variety of it, has a different flavor to it.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Regarding animal products:

I was a hard-core vegetarian for about 10 years (vegan for about 2). I absolutely LOVED how I felt, lots of energy, never any heaviness/food coma, kept the weight under control easily. I very much enjoyed it.

About 9 months ago I took up body building. Lots of weight lifting. In order to build muscle, you need TONS of protein. We're talking
150 grams/day for a guy my size (I'm average 6' and not overweight). There is no practical way to get that much protein without eating meat,
unless you want to consume lots of whey powder isolate shakes each day, which *can* work but is not ideal. Meat's slow-release/absorption
proteins sustain and build over time whereas the protein shakes are quick and dirty. You really need both for best results.

I have found that I have more energy and feel WAY better now than I did as a vegetarian, not because I'm eating meat again,
but because I'm exercising more heavily and building plenty of muscle.

So I think it depends on your lifestyle. For me personally, I need the protein and getting that much from a veg diet would require me
to eat bushels of legumes and nuts daily, which have tons of fat and/or carbs. Not practical.

I still eat veg meals once a week or so because I really enjoy veg dishes. Especially Indian food!!!!

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I drink toxic amounts of coffee daily. I bought a pound of smoked mate from the grocery store(the yellow bag stuff). I boiled an ounce, strained it, and ended up with a quart of liquid. I saved the pulp and boiled it later on in the day. That first quart I made kept me going all day. There were zero caffeine withdrawals, and like I said, I drink toxic amounts of coffee.

Lastly I know the quality of mate matters and there's stuff out there that's light years better than the yellow bag stuff.

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
Regarding animal products:

I was a hard-core vegetarian for about 10 years (vegan for about 2). I absolutely LOVED how I felt, lots of energy, never any heaviness/food coma, kept the weight under control easily. I very much enjoyed it.

About 9 months ago I took up body building. Lots of weight lifting. In order to build muscle, you need TONS of protein. We're talking
150 grams/day for a guy my size (I'm average 6' and not overweight). There is no practical way to get that much protein without eating meat,
unless you want to consume lots of whey powder isolate shakes each day, which *can* work but is not ideal. Meat's slow-release/absorption
proteins sustain and build over time whereas the protein shakes are quick and dirty. You really need both for best results.

I have found that I have more energy and feel WAY better now than I did as a vegetarian, not because I'm eating meat again,
but because I'm exercising more heavily and building plenty of muscle.

So I think it depends on your lifestyle. For me personally, I need the protein and getting that much from a veg diet would require me
to eat bushels of legumes and nuts daily, which have tons of fat and/or carbs. Not practical.

I still eat veg meals once a week or so because I really enjoy veg dishes. Especially Indian food!!!!
After 10 years when you started to eat meat again... did it revolt you/make you sick?

August West

Kava Enthusiast
From what I've read, the smoked mate tastes stronger. Also boiling it makes it taste a lot stronger. I'm guessing that letting it soak overnight or in the sun like tea, or both would make it a lot more palatable.

Traditionally, I believe mate drinkers just soak it, drink it, add more water and drink it, like five times in a row throughout the day with the same pulp. I just boil and strain it and save the pulp for a second go around. Just like kava, I drink it for the effects and health benefits and not the taste

August West

Kava Enthusiast
@iglooNakamal, ghk Fiji waka is very well rounded, but it isn't crazy potent. For 38 bucks it's worth it. It's effects will round out any root that you mix it with. It will take the edge off of mo'i, or it will slightly lift up mahakea. It will slow down and extend kavaboy. It'll round out any root, in my experience.

If you're looking to stretch out a top shelf root without drastically changing the effects, it's my go-to mixer. While I usually use about four rounded tablespoon sessions with most varieties, I'd use six with the waka.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Got some mate this morning. On my second cup, it did but a little spring in my step when I walked down Main Street to pick up my vehicle from the alignment shop. Fingers crossed its vasodilator qualities help with my migraines. Think I found my new second daily beverage :)

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Got some mate this morning. On my second cup, it did but a little spring in my step when I walked down Main Street to pick up my vehicle from the alignment shop. Fingers crossed its vasodilator qualities help with my migraines. Think I found my new second daily beverage :)
I should be getting my order in today. I'm stoked! I'm especially intrigued by drinking it terere (sp?), which is a cold brew, and drinking it cold. Apparently hot mate is an Argentine thing, and cold mate is a Paraguayan thing.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I should be getting my order in today. I'm stoked! I'm especially intrigued by drinking it terere (sp?), which is a cold brew, and drinking it cold. Apparently hot mate is an Argentine thing, and cold mate is a Paraguayan thing.
I think I want to brew it home and strain it as the tea infuser lets a lot of particles through. Not going to kill me though I guess. I guess I could get some kind of secondary strainer for work too. My buddy's wife is Brazilian and she drinks it hot, she let me try and told me a little about it but I forgot about it till it was brought up on here. The store I stopped at had Eco brand mate. I would like to try some smoked mate next. Some cold brewed sounds good too. I think I need to buy a bombilla to help strain it. Zachary told me about some tea bags you can make yourself, just cut and heat to seal any size you like.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, it's pretty expensive. It's worth it to try, or get a hot tea if you're walking by a store, but buying in bulk would leave me bankrupt. Rather spend it on kava anyways, lol.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Yeah kava funds first. Seems like a cool store, and looks like there is one in Hampton VA. Girlfriend's family lives down there. Now I have two brews to deal with them in my anxiety arsenal!

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
Great to read all this.
Kava does indeed fit into a healthy and sporty life and elevates one's quality of life.
Bula to that:woot:::chugger::