What's new

A New Lifestyle

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Damn the mate does give you a lift, hope I don't seem like I am tweaking at work. I usually like to present a mellow slothness to my co-workers. Nice to lift some of the migraine lethargy off.

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
Mate' can be pretty affordable. I get it from my local co op but I am blessed to live near one of the best in the country. You can even by kava in the bulk herb section... Though they can't tell me where it comes from so I don't dabble in it.
Micronized kava is super expensive but increadably convenient. Is there a machine I could buy to do this myself and maybe save money in the end?
Waka arrived today! First session of my new life is tonight! Going to pick up some cheese cloth on the way home from work then put some tunes on and get krunk. Hopefully some art will come out of it!
Still holding strong with the plant based diet but it isn't getting any easier, need to start adding in more varieties to the shopping list. Suggestions?

I'll be hopping on periscope as i kneed. If anyone cares to join and criticize my methods(y) my username is @homeworldarts
Things won't get started until around 9 eastern

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Mate' can be pretty affordable. I get it from my local co op but I am blessed to live near one of the best in the country. You can even by kava in the bulk herb section... Though they can't tell me where it comes from so I don't dabble in it.
Micronized kava is super expensive but increadably convenient. Is there a machine I could buy to do this myself and maybe save money in the end?
Waka arrived today! First session of my new life is tonight! Going to pick up some cheese cloth on the way home from work then put some tunes on and get krunk. Hopefully some art will come out of it!
Still holding strong with the plant based diet but it isn't getting any easier, need to start adding in more varieties to the shopping list. Suggestions?

I'll be hopping on periscope as i kneed. If anyone cares to join and criticize my methods(y) my username is @homeworldarts
Things won't get started until around 9 eastern
Kava King micronized is dirt cheap but a pretty good balanced heady/heavy kava and is Noble. A great daytime at work kava.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Last night before bed and this morning before work I mixed four ounces of my V8 Splash prepped GHK Mahakea/KWK Borogu blend(Awesome blend by the way) and four ounces of yerba mate. It didn't keep me up, I still slept like a baby, and woke up with no migraine. My temples where still swollen from the storm so I probably would have woke to a migraine without the mate. So a big thank you and others for mentioning mate on here and @Mrbinx69 for giving me the mate basics!

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
I need to get myself one of those travel french press mug/thermos things so I can be drinking mate all day at work and get the multiple infusions that were mentioned.

I have always believed in long low temp infusions with teas. You don't want to burn it. I guess mate' is the other way around?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
No still better to gradually steep just a little higher temp only 10 to 15 degrees hotter than black tea and a good 20 degrees hotter than green tea

Each herb varies for preparing. Leafs generally are more sensitive due to having flavanoids ect and not a strong barrier, as opposed to roots that need to be lightly boiled for hours known as a decoction. Long enough to break the cell walls, as ghk micro is processed to make that easier.

Anything thats "active" ingrediant is a flavanoid or something you can smell on the plant is going to be very temperature sensitive. Because if you can smell the active in the steam your obviously losing it. Whereas roots don't typically have that smell to them, and even when you need a higher temp with a leaf like mate, you then simply cover the top to allow steam to drip back into the drink so you don't lose the good stuff !

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the great tips!
don't lose the good stuff !
Gradually steep
30' hotter than green teas
cover, let steam return to brew

any specific time frame for the steep?
What is a good strong ratio?
Is there a point of diminished returns? where it just won't get any more potent?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
No still better to gradually steep just a little higher temp only 10 to 15 degrees hotter than black tea and a good 20 degrees hotter than green tea

Each herb varies for preparing. Leafs generally are more sensitive due to having flavanoids ect and not a strong barrier, as opposed to roots that need to be lightly boiled for hours known as a decoction. Long enough to break the cell walls, as ghk micro is processed to make that easier.

Anything thats "active" ingrediant is a flavanoid or something you can smell on the plant is going to be very temperature sensitive. Because if you can smell the active in the steam your obviously losing it. Whereas roots don't typically have that smell to them, and even when you need a higher temp with a leaf like mate, you then simply cover the top to allow steam to drip back into the drink so you don't lose the good stuff !
Brain rape alert. Damn you are like the Dr. Who of brewing tea!
I read that the traditonal method of steeping the same pulp over and over again can cause cancer for long time drinkers.
I heated some on the stove tonight long enough to see a little steam tbem pulled it off the heat. Let it cool then used the Cactus Kava nut milk bag to strain it good. No floaters!

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
I just did three pretty heavy sessions of waka tonight. Feeling good but could be way better. The first night getting back into it so I can't expect much. I'm hoping tomorrow night I can hit a good level and get some drawing done.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I don't really know the time of steep I just poor hot water in a cup put the Yerba mate in a tea bag about 2 tablespoons and then let it sit untill it's drinkable temp. And I've never had an issue. I don't find tea like herbs to be very picky about time/temp as much as other stuff . At a certain point your just picking hairs. It's not like it costs alot like kava so you need to get every bit out. As long as you don't burn the hell out of it or under heat it your fine.

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
Thankfully mate' is super cheap. Kava is still cheaper than halfway decent alcohol. My first day after my waka was an amazing feeling, and that first session when I got home really hit the spot. So much more powerful and faster than the first night. I'm looking forward to switching it up when my next batch comes, and continuously doing so. I need variety in my life!