What's new

Acquiring the Taste?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Pretty self-explanatory. Just wondering if there is any technique you can use to grow accustomed to kava's moldy chalk taste. Thank you.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Drink it a lot, learn to treat it like alcohol (taste puts hair on your chest kinda thing) me I have zero problem with the taste and could drink it by the pint or sip it like a fancy cocktail. I dont mind even the most bitter concotions though

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Drink it a lot, learn to treat it like alcohol (taste puts hair on your chest kinda thing) me I have zero problem with the taste and could drink it by the pint or sip it like a fancy cocktail. I dont mind even the most bitter concotions though
A pint of bitter?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I was thinking more along the lines of dagga or strong reishi tea or nastiness such as apple cider vinegar spirulina kelp and turmeric combos lol. Not bitter but most would sooner die than drink them

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I grew to love the taste pretty quickly, and now it is one of the most exciting parts of trying a new Kava. I'd say smoothness, nuttiness, and the anesthetic feeling are what make a good Kava for me. Grassiness, greasiness, and a gag affect kind of ruin even a Kava that produces a good effect.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I grew to love the taste pretty quickly, and now it is one of the most exciting parts of trying a new Kava. I'd say smoothness, nuttiness, and the anesthetic feeling are what make a good Kava for me. Grassiness, greasiness, and a gag affect kind of ruin even a Kava that produces a good effect.
When you say grassiness do you mean like BKH Instant green? I actually quite like that taste.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Not had it, N@H are another one that don't ship to the UK unfortunately. Damn governments!

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I don't mind the taste of most but I found a few ways to doctor it up for kava newbie friends by adding powdered Orange Tang or making it in V8 Splash Orange Pineapple instead of water.
But some people may not want all that extra sugar. So I had some key lime juice to make the pie and put a shot or two of that in the shell and really enjoyed it. So now I either buy the key lime juice or real lime or lemon and put a squirt or two in with each shell. Been digging the lemon the most, but I like to switch it out. Not totally masking the kava taste but gives a touch of tart citrus flavor that adds a little something to shelling for me and also makes it go down a little easier.
real lime.jpg
nellie.jpg

Abbas

Kava Curious
I don't mind the taste of most but I found a few ways to doctor it up for kava newbie friends by adding powdered Orange Tang or making it in V8 Splash Orange Pineapple instead of water.
But some people may not want all that extra sugar. So I had some key lime juice to make the pie and put a shot or two of that in the shell and really enjoyed it. So now I either buy the key lime juice or real lime or lemon and put a squirt or two in with each shell. Been digging the lemon the most, but I like to switch it out. Not totally masking the kava taste but gives a touch of tart citrus flavor that adds a little something to shelling for me and also makes it go down a little easier.
View attachment 6114 View attachment 6115
Interesting. I'm going to try to get my girlfriend to try kava. Do you think this is the best method?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Interesting. I'm going to try to get my girlfriend to try kava. Do you think this is the best method?
If you really want to make it a treat for your girl, and she likes creamsicles, try this. I call it a Kava Tangsicle.
Make up your kava ahead of time.
Put a pint or two of kava in the blender with some ice.
Add powdered Orange Tang.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Blend a few minutes until it is frothy like a smoothy.
You can strain off the froth as some people don't like that.
Nom Nom Nom

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
View attachment 6114 View attachment 6115
Squanch is really onto something here. When I first read that he was squirting lime juice in kava I thought it sounded odd...tried it myself and was amazed at how well it works! I don't mind the taste of un-doctored grog but the lime should make it a lot more palatable for a new drinker. I'll have to try lemon soon as well.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Squanch is really onto something here. When I first read that he was squirting lime juice in kava I thought it sounded odd...tried it myself and was amazed at how well it works! I don't mind the taste of un-doctored grog but the lime should make it a lot more palatable for a new drinker. I'll have to try lemon soon as well.
The lemon is less tart so a little less of a smack to the taste buds, though still enough to take your pallet from kava to citrus.

Abbas

Kava Curious
If you really want to make it a treat for your girl, and she likes creamsicles, try this. I call it a Kava Tangsicle.
Make up your kava ahead of time.
Put a pint or two of kava in the blender with some ice.
Add powdered Orange Tang.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Blend a few minutes until it is frothy like a smoothy.
You can strain off the froth as some people don't like that.
Nom Nom Nom
Awesome dude!!!! That's bad ass. Thanks

exit stage left
I switched to micro and developed a system of taking "shots" - a small amount of juice with one tablespoon of kava. Down it quickly, rinse with plain juice. It still tastes terrible, but I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to medium grind... the thought of chugging a large amount of that makes me nauseated just thinking about it.

Then again, maybe the heavily concentrated smaller amount tastes worse than I remember medium grind tasting.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I've always taken my kava plain and strong. The gnarly taste has is part of the experience in my opinion.

I have however started mixing my kava with coconut milk which I enjoy thoroughly. The tastes combine perfectly.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I guess I have never "acquired" the taste, in the sense that I still don't like the taste. But over time I have learned to ignore the taste more, so it doesn't bother me at all now...

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I personally have zero problem asserting myself with an undoctored pungent grog.
I will try fresh limes for my friends who are *cough* wimps.

Just put a few icecubes and just a little splash of coke with it and you'll be good boys.