What's new

Aluball

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hello all. Okay, I'm sure this has been talked about in previous posts but I'm too lazy to search. I'm wondering about the Aluball. I will tread lightly because of my status as a kava vendor. I don't want anyone to think I'm being a hater. It's not like I'm selling something to compete with the product. My questions come from the angle of a curious kava drinker, which is what I am first and foremost.

So, what's the experience for those of you that have tried it? I'm wondering because kavalactones, as many of you know, aren't water soluble. This is why kava is squeezed traditionally. We all know that you can't steep kava like tea, you have to physically force out the goods. Basically, the best way to ingest a sufficient amount of kavalactones is to squeeze them out of root fiber or to ingest the fiber itself. At the kava bar, I can even tell the difference between kava made by a strong employee who can really put the squeeze on it, versus a smaller less physical employee's brew.

So I'm just wondering if Aluball users are getting an equal, or even better effect than from squeezing. And if so, what do the rest of you users and/or experts think is happening to get out enough kavalactones? Just sediment passing through the screen? Something about the shaking?

Anyway, I've never tried it so I'm just curious, I drink a lot of kava at home as well as at the bar so if it's really that awesome I may need to pick one up.

Bula!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The force of the ball going through the water is surprising. Everybody here loves the Aluball. It is worth a purchase for any Kava drinker beginner or vet
I'll have to try one I guess. Since pressure is the key to extracting kavalactones, I'm still a little confused about the physics of exactly how fast moving water does the trick, but I definitely won't knock it until I try it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I haven't tried it, so I really shouldn't speak on it, but tend to think it's effects are mainly derived by sifting out the fine dusty particles...creating a somewhat micronized type beverage.

I personally can't see how it could be squeezing out the kavalactones, to the degree that your hands do. Being a hard head, every extra bit counts for me and I'd personally rather spend the money on more kava than proving myself wrong (or right).

That being said, I truly appreciate kava innovation and the time and money put into it. Seems to be working great for a lot people. I think I'll stick to tradition until a machine comes out that guarantees at least 20-40% greater KL extraction.
::happyshell::

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I was very skeptical when I first heard about it. I thought the water to root ratio was insanely conservative and also wondered about how much of kavalactone goodness can be extracted through shaking. I like my kava strong and smooth so I didn't expect much from Aluball. I was extremely positively surprised. The first batch I made was with just one aluball (17 grams of root to 400ml of water). The end result was a silky smooth grog with quite a punch (considering I only used 17g of powder!). I then started experimenting and now use two balls per shaker (32-34g per 400-450ml of water). It's just bloody perfect. So strong that with some kavas it gets almost too strong. I have never been able to make a stronger beverage out of of just 30g of root than with my aluball (with proper straining).
This things is truly effective. If you like Tongan-style dilluted kava then just use one ball. If you are more into Vanuatu-strength shells go for two balls per shaker. You will not be disappointed. This little thing is a game changer.

I liked it so much that we've decided to bring it to New Zealand. I use it for smaller kava meetings/presentations. Very useful and convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I was very skeptical when I first heard about it. I thought the water to root ratio was insanely conservative and also wondered about how much of kavalactone goodness can be extracted through shaking. I like my kava strong and smooth so I didn't expect much from Aluball. I was extremely positively surprised. The first batch I made was with just one aluball (17 grams of root to 400ml of water). The end result was a silky smooth grog with quite a punch (considering I only used 17g of powder!). I then started experimenting and now use two balls per shaker (32-34g per 400-450ml of water). It's just bloody perfect. So strong that with some kavas it gets almost too strong. I have never been able to make a stronger beverage out of of just 30g of root than with my aluball (with proper straining).
This things is truly effective. If you like Tongan-style dilluted kava then just use one ball. If you are more into Vanuatu-strength shells go for two balls per shaker. You will not be disappointed. This little thing is a game changer.
Hi Henry, do you sell extra Alu Balls on your website? I noticed you have the 1 shaker and 1 ball combo?

Kava_Lavar

Kava Curious
@Judd Rench

The AluBall is great for on the go when you don't have time for the traditional prep. I have been using the AluBall daily for the past few months and I really don't know how I would go without it. It is particularly useful to shake up a batch before heading into my workplace.

With that being said there are some differences between Aluball and traditional (at least for me). When using one ball ( i don't have two. That didn't come out right, LOL)... The texture is on the thin side, as in watery. Hence the reason perhaps some people use two balls inside. As for the effects / potency I feel I am getting only about 5-10% less than traditional way. As for taste the Traditional way has a smoother, silkier, richer, oilier texture when going down the hatch and is more enjoyable. Not sure why its so oily to me...sometimes I feel like I am drinking straight cholesterol.

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
I too was skeptical at first, seemed too easy and convenient. I've had mine a couple of months and I've used it pretty much exclusively. You can't beat a minute or two of shaking. Of course as had been mentioned, for big batches traditional is better.
I feel I get more mileage out of my root, when I go traditional I'm usually too lazy for second or third washes. With the Aluball I typically do a second wash, it's easy just put a little less water albeit that second shell can be a little thin depending on the cultivar. Just shows the extraction works on the first go around.
Probably will get another one, two balls are better than one (y)

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

I liked it so much that we've decided to bring it to New Zealand. I use it for smaller kava meetings/presentations. Very useful and convenient.
Awesome! I'd be interested in doing a little experiment. I would like to weigh the kava before putting it in the Aluball, then remove the used kava after shaking, allow it to dry, then weigh it again. It would tell me how much sediment is passing through the screen, and how much that affects potency.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench

The AluBall is great for on the go when you don't have time for the traditional prep. I have been using the AluBall daily for the past few months and I really don't know how I would go without it. It is particularly useful to shake up a batch before heading into my workplace.

With that being said there are some differences between Aluball and traditional (at least for me). When using one ball ( i don't have two. That didn't come out right, LOL)... The texture is on the thin side, as in watery. Hence the reason perhaps some people use two balls inside. As for the effects / potency I feel I am getting only about 5-10% less than traditional way. As for taste the Traditional way has a smoother, silkier, richer, oilier texture when going down the hatch and is more enjoyable. Not sure why its so oily to me...sometimes I feel like I am drinking straight cholesterol.
Thanks for the input. Kavalactones are oily, which is why you get that feeling and taste.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
@Kavafied
So I got two AluBalls this Jan and now both of them are broken. The part were the kava sifts through, seems to be inadequately secured as it loosens at the edges over time. Now, you do recommend shaking it vigorously, so you can't put this on me. Lol
Who knows? Perhaps I got the two AluBalls that weren't up to standards?
I've taped that hole shut for now, but would really appreciate a replacement in the mail.

Crunked

Proselytizer
@Kavafied
So I got two AluBalls this Jan and now both of them are broken. The part were the kava sifts through, seems to be inadequately secured as it loosens at the edges over time. Now, you do recommend shaking it vigorously, so you can't put this on me. Lol
Who knows? Perhaps I got the two AluBalls that weren't up to standards?
I've taped that hole shut for now, but would really appreciate a replacement in the mail.
Have you only used cold/tepid water to clean them? Hot water is definitely a no/no.

EQ

Atman
AluBall works, definitely. I double AluBall it and get a great result every time. I think it is slightly more effective than kneading, because I am just too broken at the end of the day to knead out a batch these days...
What temperature water do you use?
I love using ice water, Kava is actually delicious out of the Aluball :hungry:

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Got mine in today. This is going to be great with my arthritic hands. Kneading hurts, but I sure can monkey shake this thing!

Last edited:

Fiend138

Their is a little more sediment with aluball than when I use double knee highs, but nothing crazy. Potency is roughly the same. It is the convenience factor that wins me over. Easier clean up as well. Not meant to be a replacement for traditional just an extra option. I have found myself drinking kava more often since purchasing the Aluball. Overall very happy with it and will be ordering more Kavafied products.

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
maybe im just not shaking the bottle hard enough for fear of cracking the ball, but so far for me my traditional prep is a good bit stronger. the convenience of the ball is awesome though

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
maybe im just not shaking the bottle hard enough for fear of cracking the ball, but so far for me my traditional prep is a good bit stronger. the convenience of the ball is awesome though
I've had mine a few months now, I shake the crap out of it for 2 minutes with cold tap water. No cracks yet. That said, when I do make a traditional batch with a Fijian strainer or knee highs I use hot tap water. I haven't been able to feel a difference in effects between the two methods. Just more convenience with the ball.
I would say I've been using the Aluball at least 90% of the time since I got it, maybe more.

Reactions: EQ