What's new

Any experiences with "overdose"

RevRad

Kava Curious
Let me start by saying I know it's pretty much unheard of to overdose in the traditional sense, but what I'm talking about here is getting like wayyyyyyyy more krunk than you thought you would and getting some bad effects whether it be paranoia, anxiety, extreme nausea, etc. Has anyone ever had an experience like this? I assume it's most likely to happen when you try a new variety or you keep taking more and more doses of a variety you trust because you're not feeling it, then suddenly it all hits really delayed and it's like a brick wall.

I had a mini freakout when I tried a mix of maybe 2TBSP of Vula Waka to 4TBSP of Nambawan. I kneaded the hell out of it for a long time in warm water and I think I got a crazy amount of KLs out because, I was sitting down on my computer, and suddenly several minutes later realized I was REALLLLLY "high"/krunk and had a mini freakout because it was very intense. Obviously minimal threat if any at all but it was an interesting moment.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Isn't nambawan really heady? I know when I first started drinking kava certain ones could make me feel a bit anxious for a bit. Nambawan is head and potent so that is most likely the reason.

Kraken

Kava Curious
Sorry dude I can't clue into that I have no idea how kava could affect you that way I mean probably put your mind at ease in the more messed up you are on it even if you do throw up in my experiences you're still happy in the end it's never a terrible thing that's just what I have experienced.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If I get smacked with a rush of intense kava effects, but no major nausea, I consider it a rare blessing. As far as paradoxical reactions like kava induced anxiety, I've had that a few times too, but it's usually earlier on or mid-way through drinking, before I've even hit the fullest effects. It seems to be more common of an effect on random occasions when the kava is hitting harder than usual for whatever reason. I've read a few accounts over the years of native drinkers drinking to a state of shakiness where it's hard to control your limbs...that seems to come from a huge amount of kavalactones in your system and/or a personal biochemistry that is more prone to that side-effect. Another little point to mention, is that an anxious/shaky effect has been noted with certain cultivars, such as the "Tikiskis" variety on Tanna which is named after a "jittery" local bird and is said to induce a jittery nervousness if too much is consumed.

Getting nausea is so common for me with kava, that it's not necessarily a real indicator of having consumed too much. However, truly consuming too much will always lead to nausea. The most likely (but not at all likely) "real" overdose that could happen with kava, is drinking so much that you dilute your body of electrolytes and give yourself water intoxication.

Last edited:

RevRad

Kava Curious
Isn't nambawan really heady? I know when I first started drinking kava certain ones could make me feel a bit anxious for a bit. Nambawan is head and potent so that is most likely the reason.
For me I find nambawan pretty balanced. A good body and mind mix, but fairly weak as you'll see in other threads, it's just not the kava for me, the search continues.

The Vula on the other hand usually hits very heady but sometimes has significant heaviness mixed in.

RevRad

Kava Curious
If I get smacked with a rush of intense kava effects, but no major nausea, I consider it a rare blessing. As far as paradoxical reactions like kava induced anxiety, I've had that a few times too, but it's usually earlier on or mid-way through drinking, before I've even hit the fullest effects. It seems to be more common of an effect on random occasions when the kava is hitting harder than usual for whatever reason. I've read a few accounts over the years of native drinkers drinking to a state of shakiness where it's hard to control your limbs...that seems to come from a huge amount of kavalactones in your system and/or a personal biochemistry that is more prone to that side-effect. Another little point to mention, is that an anxious/shaky effect has been noted with certain cultivars, such as the "Tikiskis" variety on Tanna which is named after a "jittery" local bird and is said to induce a jittery nervousness if too much is consumed.

Getting nausea is so common for me with kava, that it's not necessarily a real indicator of having consumed too much. However, truly consuming too much will always lead to nausea. The most likely (but not at all likely) "real" overdose that could happen with kava, is drinking so much that you dilute your body of electrolytes and give yourself water intoxication.
I should have mentioned my mini freakout was really short, like for maybe 15 seconds then I just started talking to some people online and was perfectly fine and pleasantly kava-stoned once again. It wasn't like sitting in the corner freaking out waiting for the DEA to raid me like some psychoactives cause in people.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Let me start by saying I know it's pretty much unheard of to overdose in the traditional sense, but what I'm talking about here is getting like wayyyyyyyy more krunk than you thought you would and getting some bad effects whether it be paranoia, anxiety, extreme nausea, etc. Has anyone ever had an experience like this? I assume it's most likely to happen when you try a new variety or you keep taking more and more doses of a variety you trust because you're not feeling it, then suddenly it all hits really delayed and it's like a brick wall.

I had a mini freakout when I tried a mix of maybe 2TBSP of Vula Waka to 4TBSP of Nambawan. I kneaded the hell out of it for a long time in warm water and I think I got a crazy amount of KLs out because, I was sitting down on my computer, and suddenly several minutes later realized I was REALLLLLY "high"/krunk and had a mini freakout because it was very intense. Obviously minimal threat if any at all but it was an interesting moment.
I'm sorry, you freaked out when what happened was what you wanted to have happen and was the logical consequence of what you did to make happen? Yeah, in high doses, most kava will get you krunk. 4 TBS of nambawan with get you krunk, for most people. Add 2 TBS of Vula and you'll get very krunk. I mean, that's what you wanted, right? Of course, the first time it happens there can be some freaking out over the unfamiliarity of it, and it's not for everybody.

There is such a thing as overdose with kava, and it typically involves double vision and vertigo. It can also involve nausea and extreme lethargy. With some water and some time it passes. Again, probably the worst part of it is the potential freaking out over the unfamiliarity of the experience. As with krunk or very krunk, it will pass.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think I've seen some people mention getting paradoxical effects from strains that have a high yangonin content
Nambawan is still the only kava strain I ever had I couldn't figure out. I love it, I just don't know why, aside from the flavour, the only kava whose flavour I have ever intensely craved. It does do strange and inexplicable things to your heady, but it's not heady like a heady kava is heady. It's different, sort of inscrutable with a side order of ineffable. I think it's an uncommon mix of KL's. I love i, I just don't know what it is.

RevRad

Kava Curious
Right I was fine after a few seconds but initially I freaked out because I got really intense effects so quickly and wasn't quite ready for it, but it's not like I wouldn't like to repeat that experience. I just need to expect it next time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Right I was fine after a few seconds but initially I freaked out because I got really intense effects so quickly and wasn't quite ready for it, but it's not like I wouldn't like to repeat that experience. I just need to expect it next time.
There's your answer right there! :)

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
IThere is such a thing as overdose with kava, and it typically involves double vision and vertigo. It can also involve nausea and extreme lethargy. With some water and some time it passes. Again, probably the worst part of it is the potential freaking out over the unfamiliarity of the experience. As with krunk or very krunk, it will pass.
This has been my experience. I've consumed too much on a couple of occasions with the same reaction: unpleasant dizziness. It goes away in 39 minutes or so. No permanent damage & no reason to call anyone about it. Eat some food & drink some water & you'll be ok.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor

When you feel like you had too much Kava, the best thing you can do is to sweat it out the next day or immediately after if you have access to a steam room or hot tub. It's an old island saying that I learned from my Dad. Too much Kava may give you the spins and cold sweats in your sleep, I've been there before many of times.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Same thing happened with me when I got Nambawan awhile back. After a few days of drinking it, it suddenly gave an overwhelming effect accompanied by tinnitus, it felt like being hit by a concussive but soft blast, the kind that would make your ears ring (of course). I also had a mini freak out but was able to calm myself mainly just by saying that if I could get calm, it would probably be a very enjoyable feeling, and it was. I had no dizziness though, oddly. I Haven't gotten double vision or vertigo ever. Thinking of it makes me want to try that stuff again, but I ran through that stuff within the week.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I think most of us have been there. Laying down in a dark quiet place and drinking water helps it pass.

Spinem hed blong yufala olsem helicopter propellers.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This has been my experience. I've consumed too much on a couple of occasions with the same reaction: unpleasant dizziness. It goes away in 39 minutes or so. No permanent damage & no reason to call anyone about it. Eat some food & drink some water & you'll be ok.
and Fetch............. the Comfy Chair!!!

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I did actually OD as in paralysis , I fell and could not move for a long time ,stuck on my back staring up at the bathroom light that was left on. Not fun , you do not want to do it. Usually the built in anti-abuse factor will kick in and you will gag and be unable to drink anymore but not that night. Also puking kava is not fun either and will normally happen before paralysis.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I saw what you could call "overdose" a lot and experienced it quite a few times. Especially with Tanna chewed kava. One huge (about 500m) shell and you are very highly affected but not unpleasantly so - just quick onset and much more intense than usual. But taking a second/third can quickly bring on double-triple vision, inability to walk (not just the wobbles, but completely uncontrollable legs) and unpleasant muscular spasms that last all night and keep you awake. My arms and shoulders used to lock up for the whole night and move by themselves with the muscle spasms after accidentally having too much.
Once in Vila a tourist from a cruise ship came up to our regular nakamal by himself and sat inside. We noticed he was drinking very fast - one every 4-5 minutes - then after maybe an hour he was having problems walking to the counter to get his next shell, so someone called him a taxi in case he missed his ship. When his taxi came he said he was alright and he could get to it by himself, but when he stood up from the bench his legs had packed up completely, and he stumbled forwards quickly and did a flying headbutt into the taxi door and knocked himself out.
When you are familiar with a particular kava its hard for something like this to happen unless you're actually aiming for it, but with a new kava or a strong mix it can catch up pretty quickly.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I saw what you could call "overdose" a lot and experienced it quite a few times. Especially with Tanna chewed kava. One huge (about 500m) shell and you are very highly affected but not unpleasantly so - just quick onset and much more intense than usual. But taking a second/third can quickly bring on double-triple vision, inability to walk (not just the wobbles, but completely uncontrollable legs) and unpleasant muscular spasms that last all night and keep you awake. My arms and shoulders used to lock up for the whole night and move by themselves with the muscle spasms after accidentally having too much.
Once in Vila a tourist from a cruise ship came up to our regular nakamal by himself and sat inside. We noticed he was drinking very fast - one every 4-5 minutes - then after maybe an hour he was having problems walking to the counter to get his next shell, so someone called him a taxi in case he missed his ship. When his taxi came he said he was alright and he could get to it by himself, but when he stood up from the bench his legs had packed up completely, and he stumbled forwards quickly and did a flying headbutt into the taxi door and knocked himself out.
When you are familiar with a particular kava its hard for something like this to happen unless you're actually aiming for it, but with a new kava or a strong mix it can catch up pretty quickly.
Do you mean kanna ? I have tried this just a pinch between cheek and gums , it is indeed a serious potentiator but nausea it brings is not fun at all, you really feel the kava, for hours but most of that time is spent being so nauseated you can't move anyway. Also the cancer concern not for me anymore. The best remedy for not feeling a very strong kava like BKH's Nambawan is a week or two break from kava and instead of going for the full on krunk every session enjoy the lighter effects by taking lowest amount possible for you to feel any effects . Works for me anyway and has for over 20 years but we're all different.