What's new

Best kava product for someone very new

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Hi. A few days ago I purchased some "pharma kava" capsules from a local psychoactive plant store. I had tried kava twice years ago but got no effect, but these things were incredible. I had no idea kava could be that powerful, it was an amazing experience that was very theuraputic for me and helped teach me how to relax and enjoy life whereas before I was constantly wracked with anxiety without even being aware of it.

Anyway, I am interested in finding out what kava would be best for someone like me. I want to try a heady, euphoric variety but my question is should I go with an extract or plain root? What are the major differences? I am lazy and do not like the idea of having to spend a lot of time preparing kava, so that makes the extract sound appealing. But I also would like to have a traditonal kava experience. WHat do you folks recommend?

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I personally would recommend any one of my micronized or medium grind kava's, they are all great but the micronized will be easy to prepare, just mix with water and drink. Let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris
Chris,

What is the difference between instant and micronized?

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I personally would recommend any one of my micronized or medium grind kava's, they are all great but the micronized will be easy to prepare, just mix with water and drink. Let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris
Thanks. One question I have is how does the experience differ between those and an extract? I am looking for the most full, well rounded, but also strong experience. When I took the kava capsules, I felt filled with positive energy and connected to life. It was almost a spiritual experience for me. What would you recommend as the most spiritual type of kava?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Chris' instant kava is the closest thing to drinking fresh kava on the islands. He makes it by dehydrating the kava beverage made from freshly harvested (not dried) roots. It's finer and easier to dissolve. It's also a bit stronger and easier to drink. His micronzed is slightly more difficult to drink (but still smooth) and made from dried roots. Both are excellent. I think instant is generally slightly better, but it's also more expensive, so I would say that instant is great for special sessions/weekends and micronized is better for weekday drinking.

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
I am new myself, so I will quote GHK: "Then the Micronized Kava goes through an additional proprietary process which ruptures the Kava cell walls and releases more Kavalactones. This Kava is convenient like Instant Kava but potent like Kava Powder." http://www.kavalibrary.com/Kava-Types.html
Doesn't that sound like micronized is more potent than instant?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
In my experience, instant is slightly more potent per gram. However, micronized might have a higher potency per $.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I am new myself, so I will quote GHK: "Then the Micronized Kava goes through an additional proprietary process which ruptures the Kava cell walls and releases more Kavalactones. This Kava is convenient like Instant Kava but potent like Kava Powder." http://www.kavalibrary.com/Kava-Types.html
Doesn't that sound like micronized is more potent than instant?
Truthfully I think for me they are about the same. I do not say much about my production technique for the instant but it also goes through the sell rupturing process so that you get more kavalactones, like Henry said the instant cost more that is why I recommended the micronized.
Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thanks. One question I have is how does the experience differ between those and an extract? I am looking for the most full, well rounded, but also strong experience. When I took the kava capsules, I felt filled with positive energy and connected to life. It was almost a spiritual experience for me. What would you recommend as the most spiritual type of kava?
For me I never liked the capsules, I felt that I was not getting the full kava experience but with my kava you will get the full kava experience. I think you will like it better than the capsules. It is hard to say what is the most spiritual kava because everyone will get a different experience but I think that you might find the Mahakea a good one, you might think of trying the sample pack too. The Hiwa was used by the Hawaiian kahuna or the Hawaiian priests and that was certainly spiritual for them but I do not have any of that for sale right now. Please let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Ok thank you, I will try ordering some and see how it compares to what I have now. I've another question though. So, two days ago I had my first real kava experiences and I as said, it was incredible. I was filled with wonderful, positive plant energy and I felt connected to the realm of the gods. So today, I decided to try another experience. I took the same dose of the same kava on an empty stomach and I barely feel anything. Slight relaxation, that's it. How is it possible? Did I develop tolerance? Is kava one of those thing where it is only good the first time and then all downhill after that?

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Generally it's not something you develop a tolerance to. A lot of people find it to be hit or miss, with the same kava, and same situations. Don't know why.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Man, that is dissapointing. I was really looking forward to another spiritual experience with this plant. It seriously blew me away, I mean it was like on the level of mescaline (though it a totally different way of course), thats how good, amazing and spiritual it was. I am feeling it a little bit more now, but it is nothing like last time. I just feel relaxed, no amazing energy or spiritual feeling.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Now I am feeling nausea and dizziness. Last time there were no side effects at all. Maybe kava isn't as wonderful as I thought, I am having second thoughts as to whether it is really for me. I don't like being intoxicated in a drunken sort of way.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Now I am feeling nausea and dizziness. Last time there were no side effects at all. Maybe kava isn't as wonderful as I thought, I am having second thoughts as to whether it is really for me. I don't like being intoxicated in a drunken sort of way.
I had the same thoughts, 10 days into trying kava almost every day. Boy did THAT change.

That was 7 months ago.

It's not a drunken intoxication, when you get the full effects.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Ya for sure stick with it and give it a propper go!
You dont have anything to loose and I am willing to bet with some more experience under your belt, you will feel the (magic) again! :)
Kava is weird sometimes, like on any given night with the same setting.same dose ect ect...one night might feel amazing while the next might be different...
If I were you I would get some (real) kava from chris at GHK or hell any one of the vendors on this forum...
Order some Moi from GHK...you mentioned spirtiual?
I find the instant moi to be very heady.relaxing and in a way...spirtual, in that it helps connect you to mother earth, everything is beautiful with a gokd strong dose of kava! Certainly dont give up!

minerallad

Kava Curious
Man, that is dissapointing. I was really looking forward to another spiritual experience with this plant. It seriously blew me away, I mean it was like on the level of mescaline (though it a totally different way of course), thats how good, amazing and spiritual it was. I am feeling it a little bit more now, but it is nothing like last time. I just feel relaxed, no amazing energy or spiritual feeling.
As someone who can relate to "spiritual" experiences ;), might I recommend that you try something different than store-bought capsules and/or extracts? Sure, an extract may claim to be quite potent, and may very well be, but if what you are going for is as you said, an experience, I would definitely try making your own brews from the root. Something about taking the time to choose and acquire your strain of Kava, measuring out all of your ingredients, and finally proceeding to taking the time for a proper, kneading-based preparation, to end by finally consuming your Kava... I don't know, it just feels (to me) like it would be a much more spiritual/pleasing experience.

Different strains can produce (profoundly) different effects. The review section on this website has plenty of user-reviews of different strains, and may very well help you find a Kava more suited for you. I wouldn't say that you should give up on Kava because of your results from some store-bought capsules (not to mention, I've had some shoddy solvent test results from some capsules such as this that I bought back when I was first starting out). Kava can be a magical plant, although, not necessarily an immediately magical thing. Patience will pay off.

Best of luck to you,
David

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I think you will find with just about anything the first few experiences are the best ones. Once your body and mind gets used to it you will still feel it, only it will be on a different and probably reduced level.

Kava will never blow you away in the way you describe. That is just not how it works.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Thanks for the advice, I haven't and won't give up. That one experience was so amazing I am confident this plant has a lot of potential. Right now, I am waiting on an order to arrive. In the meantime, I have been taking 1-2 capsules daily which gives me a mild sense of relaxation and clear mindedness. It seems to help me with meditation and turning away from intrusive thoughts. Even if I never end up having another spiritual experience, simply using it as this level is quite beneficial. I thank the LORD for this plant.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Kava isn't going to send you on a vision quest, but no slouch among psychoactives either.

Whether it leads to some kind of enlightenment, epiphany, satori, whatever.. no idea. I can tell you that it moved me to poetry, has made me more sociable and less anxious, and increased my quality of day to day life a lot. I'll trade 1000 lovely days for 1 day of epiphany---and flowing through the collective consciousness---without any regrets.