What's new

Best kava product for someone very new

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lol I love that there's consciousness into this forum... the kratark forum I asked if anyone had experience with kratark and evolution of human consciousness and like one person understood what I meant at all lol... maybe more but no help ... since I've quit I feel the inner body and consciousness much stronger again. And kava has never inhibited such experiences! Thank god for kava !

Shot

I got some HGK Awa Moi medium & used a four minute blender method with a little milk which I saw on YouTube. Filtering it about three times of course and am having a good experience but I was wondering if the massaging / squeezing method is better than a blender. Your thoughts?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I got some HGK Awa Moi medium & used a four minute blender method with a little milk which I saw on YouTube. Filtering it about three times of course and am having a good experience but I was wondering if the massaging / squeezing method is better than a blender. Your thoughts?
You'll get ten different answers from ten different people and the crazy thing is they'll all be applicable and correct. I personally knead my kava by hand, and it's never let me down. I can't say I've tried really any other method. It's just been the one that works, and I've stuck with it. I'm giving myself a break though, as I purchased 2 lbs of instant kava from GHK and boy oh boy am I enjoying not having to do the ole' "squeeze & knead" routine. :)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Am I gonna regret toss and washing ?... I just haven't found a reason to do anything else yet! I don't get tummy issues from it!?. Also I don't have a muslin bag or whateevr it's called ... anything else I could use maybe?

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Kava isn't going to send you on a vision quest, but no slouch among psychoactives either.

Whether it leads to some kind of enlightenment, epiphany, satori, whatever.. no idea. I can tell you that it moved me to poetry, has made me more sociable and less anxious, and increased my quality of day to day life a lot. I'll trade 1000 lovely days for 1 day of epiphany---and flowing through the collective consciousness---without any regrets.
Oh I am not looking for a vision quest, I have other things for that like my icon as well as another species of mushroom I have grown to adore. None the less, I believe kava is more than just recreation.. I believe it has spiritual lessons to teach us, it's teaching method is simply much different from the aforementioned. I believe kava can teach us how to live in peace and clarity of mind, and camaraderie.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Oh I deeply agree. I believe the kava priests actually translated to those who know how to use kava.... which implies a big misunderstanding of it even with the islanders possibly... a similar situation we have with cannabisioso..? Probrably.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Am I gonna regret toss and washing ?... I just haven't found a reason to do anything else yet! I don't get tummy issues from it!?. Also I don't have a muslin bag or whateevr it's called ... anything else I could use maybe?
You don't have to have a muslin bag. Anything will do. For example, a nylon stocking will work. Paint strainer will work.
First couple of times I made kava I used a blender, but the blender cleanup was more work than just using a bag and squeezing the kava. IMHO the squeezing method makes better kava. Many vendors sell bags along with their kava too. I believe "Kavaboy" and "Kalm with Kava" sell bags along with their various kava varieties.

Also, I've heard of people mixing in a little ginger powder with their kava to help with stomach issues.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
So, my kava came in the mail today. I ended up going with the 11 year waka because the GHK was a little more than I wanted to spend for something I am so new to.

Anyway, this is unbelievable. THe directions said to mix 1 to 2 tablespoon in your fav liquid and drink. I mixed 1 tablespoon and decided to drink very slowly over time so as not to take too much, see I need to sleep tonight and kava gives me horrible insombia. Anyway, I literally took about 2-3 sips and now I am already very high. I can't believe how strong it is, it is stronger than whiskey. This is SO MUCH better than the capsules. Unfortunatelty I am not very happy right now because I really really needed sleep tonight and it is looking like that is out of the question. Thank God I had the sense not to drink the entire glass. THis is absolutely insane. I am sure this kava will provide me with the sort of experiences I am looking for. Tonight I was simply looking for anxiety relief and I got in way over my head. Oh well, live and learn I guess. The feelng of this kava is also much better than the capsules. It is more uplifting and less similar to alcohol.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh I am not looking for a vision quest, I have other things for that like my icon as well as another species of mushroom I have grown to adore. None the less, I believe kava is more than just recreation.. I believe it has spiritual lessons to teach us, it's teaching method is simply much different from the aforementioned. I believe kava can teach us how to live in peace and clarity of mind, and camaraderie.
Since your avatar is a mushroom, you might be interested in this handy comparison chart I created comparing the kava experience with the psychedelic experience:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/first-night-on-kava.3961/#post-44384

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Years ago I tried some capsules and some Tunga kava I bought online with little to no effect. Recently I tried some pharma kava capsules from a local store that worked well but were nothing like this 11 year waka. I am actually quite pleased because it seems to have mostly worn off and I actually think I might be able to sleep on time tonight. The capsules were a lot different, much milder effect but much longer lasting.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Years ago I tried some capsules and some Tunga kava I bought online with little to no effect. Recently I tried some pharma kava capsules from a local store that worked well but were nothing like this 11 year waka.
Much has opened to you now. The different Islands, the different cultivars. All unique because they're hand-propagated and have been for literal millenia.

I am actually quite pleased because it seems to have mostly worn off and I actually think I might be able to sleep on time tonight. The capsules were a lot different, much milder effect but much longer lasting.
It doesn't generally need to wear off for you to sleep, it kind of tapers into a sleepiness towards the end of the evening and bed is awesome when you get there.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Ssee I need to sleep tonight and kava gives me horrible insombia.
Huh. I often have problems with insomnia (which is why I decided to try kava), and I've found it makes it so I generally sleep really well - after someone here told me to take it a few hours before bed instead of at bedtime.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I sleep much better with kava (besides waking up to pee). I also tried capsules and extracts before arriving here; they don't touch the effects of real kava.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I tried about 2 teaspoons of kava consumed gradually over about 4 hours last night and experienced a great relaxing effect. However, today I woke up with a headache. Did kava cause the headache?