What's new

Best kava product for someone very new

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I tried about 2 teaspoons of kava consumed gradually over about 4 hours last night and experienced a great relaxing effect. However, today I woke up with a headache. Did kava cause the headache?
Sounds like tudei (two-day) kava to me. Not good. Where did you buy the kava?

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I bought the 11 yeah waka from bula kava house. i am not sure if it caused the headache though. the other time i took it, i did not get a headache.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i have ended up with a headache the morning after drinking kava that i am certain is noble. in my case it was because i was dehydrated and slept very soundly in an awkward position

verticity

I'm interested in things
i have ended up with a headache the morning after drinking kava that i am certain is noble. in my case it was because i was dehydrated and slept very soundly in an awkward position
^^^^ This. Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, headache, general crappy feeling

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Dehydration was my first thought, @Sacred Journey. You have to drink more than you think you have to drink when you're consuming kava. I drink about a glass of water to a shell.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Dehydration was my first thought, @Sacred Journey. You have to drink more than you think you have to drink when you're consuming kava. I drink about a glass of water to a shell.
Yeah, to expound, thirstiness is not a reliable gauge of how much water you need to drink. You need to remember to to drink water even if you don't really feel thirsty. Oh, that reminds me, I need to drink some water!

verticity

I'm interested in things
11-Year Waka is probably not actually tudei, in my opinion. It is a case where the normal test for nobility may give a false positive. But we don't really understand what is going on with it yet. So, I don't want to start a discussion about that, and get this thread hidden, because it has been quite controversial and contentious in the past--Just to be fair to BKH by pointing out it is probaly not tudei, (IMO) (But some believe it is--it's not cut and dried) (Well the kava roots are cut and dried literally, but, you know what I mean [/LAMENESS]

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
I think that might be what caused the headache, I drank the kava without drinking any water and then went to bed without any water. The next time I used it, I didn't get a headache.

I am still learning how to use kava. I have another question, it seems like sometimes when I drink kava I have problems with my coordination, but not every time. I drank some kava a few nights ago and the next day I felt off balance all day at work. Is this a normal next day effect?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I am still learning how to use kava. I have another question, it seems like sometimes when I drink kava I have problems with my coordination, but not every time. I drank some kava a few nights ago and the next day I felt off balance all day at work. Is this a normal next day effect?
Problems with coordination are a common side effect at high doses, but it should not persist to the next day; that would probably only happen if you are drinking two-day kava.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
Well today I am drinking the same kava and have no problems with coordination, even though I am drinking the same dose, actually a bit more. Today it is just wonderful, I feel so relaxed and content, everything just feels as though it's alright how it is and I don't understand why I have spent my entire life so anxious and constantly worrying. For what?

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
So my experience last night was fantastic except I could not sleep even though I was exhausted. THe kava kept me wide awake all night. I don't understand how it can be marketed as a sleep aid, it's the worst sleep aid I have ever taken.

I am wondering, were I to start drinking kava every day could I develop a tolerance to this effect and thus be able to sleep on it? I work full time and cannot afford to not sleep all night. THis means the weekend would be the only time I could take kava, but I am often busy during the day on weekends and don't necessarily want to be high on kava all day (and so far when I do it, it lasts ALL day). Kava is incredible but I am really struggling to fit it into my schedule. ANy tips?

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
it could very well be that the kava you're taking has a chemotype that is not sleep conducive. that 11 year waka keeps me up for hours after i take it. i took some at work the other day and it was perfect: relaxed but energized with a great mood lift but i had to switch to some papamahawakakea when i got home to mellow out before i could sleep. try something heavier next time and see what happens. the papa kea is a guaranteed knock out for me

verticity

I'm interested in things
So my experience last night was fantastic except I could not sleep even though I was exhausted. THe kava kept me wide awake all night. I don't understand how it can be marketed as a sleep aid, it's the worst sleep aid I have ever taken.

I am wondering, were I to start drinking kava every day could I develop a tolerance to this effect and thus be able to sleep on it? I work full time and cannot afford to not sleep all night. THis means the weekend would be the only time I could take kava, but I am often busy during the day on weekends and don't necessarily want to be high on kava all day (and so far when I do it, it lasts ALL day). Kava is incredible but I am really struggling to fit it into my schedule. ANy tips?
As @Steve Mariotti has said elsewhere, kava is not knock-out drops. If you just need to get to sleep ASAP, melatonin will work better. The kava experience is complex, with both stimulating and sedative aspects, depending on the cultivar, set and setting. The "stimulating" effects come on first, followed after possibly a few hours by more sedating effects. For that reason, the best time to drink kava is right before dinner, so your stomach is empty, and the sedative effects have a chance to kick in by bedtime. You will not develop a "tolerance" but your experience may change as you get used to it.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava is currently selling kava made from the lateral root hairs of the Hanakapi'ai variety, which is supposed to be quite sedating. I haven't tried it yet (looking forward), but that might be a good one to try.

Sacred Journey

Kava Curious
i am having more luck sleeping now that i have built up a bit of a tolerance to kava. i dont get wobbly from drinking a teaspoon anymore and can actually drink up to a tablespoon while at work and function fine. i am loving kava a great deal. it has become one of my favorite psychoactive plants. i am no longer using big doses but smalll ones. i took a big dose last weekend and had a bad trip off it, complete with hallucinations and ego dissolution. i find high doses very dissociative. i think my long history of hallucinogenic drug use makes me a lot more sensitive to these sorts of effects. the bad trip was quite scary but i learned a lot fromn the experience.