What's new

Best Liquid to Extract Kavalactones/ How to drink it in the office

ouijayes

Kava Curious
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but if we didn't discuss things more than once we'd be no better than cavemen.

I use milk at home, but I'm going to be drinkin' it at work from now on, so I can't bring in a bowl to the office, or even a few bottles.

is there a fatty, liquid substance better than whole milk for this? I probably just use too much liquid, and can fit it all in one bottle.

btw, I use around 8 tablespoons.

also, wouldn't blending the root powder and THEN doing the traditional preparation be better considering more surface area is exposed? or not.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Ditto on the water suggestion from @kavadude. They generally don't use anything fatty in kava drinking cultures. We add a little soy lecithin at the kava bar, but on the rare occasion that I make a personal batch I use water only, and honestly I don't notice any significant potency difference.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
And btw, I drink kava almost daily. Making a personal batch is a rare occasion because I'm lucky enough to make a living selling kava, which my employees make. A definite perk to the stress involved in owning a business.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I agree with @Judd Rench. Adding fats seems to be for the ultra sensitive drinkers. Stomach contents and post-kava meal selection seem to have more effect on potency than added lipids. Plus it makes your strainer bag nasty.

If you are a micro fan you can buy small juice bottles, drink a little then add a tbsp of micro. Shake and pack with your lunch.

You can also make a more concentrated batch. More root less water. Then add that to a juice or something.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
If you decide to go the instant/micro root, we have what is often referred to as the best instant out there (made from the same root as the epic Nambawan). We also have a fantastic and unique 12 year old micronized Fijian Waka that tends to get great reviews from both online buyers and kava bar customers. The instant and micro can be found here. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments. Email is better because I'm a little inconsistent around these parts nowadays. [email protected]

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I often make a batch of traditional at home and bring it to the office. It'll last ~3 days refrigerated if you don't drink that often.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
They're about the same IMO. It has never been my experience that fatty substances aid in extraction.

ouijayes

Kava Curious
I'm probably just going to chug it all down before work. it last hours. but the drive is more than half an hour...

ouijayes

Kava Curious
I agree with @Judd Rench. Adding fats seems to be for the ultra sensitive drinkers. Stomach contents and post-kava meal selection seem to have more effect on potency than added lipids. Plus it makes your strainer bag nasty.

If you are a micro fan you can buy small juice bottles, drink a little then add a tbsp of micro. Shake and pack with your lunch.

You can also make a more concentrated batch. More root less water. Then add that to a juice or something.
but how much water is too little for 8tbps?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The amount of liquid doesn't effect potency, so long as you can still knead it effectively. You could do say, 8 tbsps with 2-3 cups of water and that should still fit in a large size travel mug. If that's too thick for you to drink, you could mix it in with some bottled water there or something.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I can do a pretty good job with 8tbsp in 2cups water. That's one wash. The second is a bit darker than it would be if I used more water at first. There's a limit to how much good stuff water can hold it seems.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I was considering that, but can you shake those mugs without liquid escaping?

even if the milk were better [though I tend to agree with the experts (you guys)], it would spoil some.
If you get a good quality mug, it will seal and you can shake it (or you can stir it with a spoon)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I think the Kava King micronized "instants" would be perfect for daytime use. Just mix in some water and quaff. It's strong, it's heady and body, and it works really well.