What's new

Kava Preparation Boiling Kava.

D

Deleted User01

I decided to start a formal thread on the subject of boiling Kava.

I used boiling water to soak my Kava today. I let it cool down a little and then added room temperature liquid to get the correct volume. When I went to squeeze it, it was a slimy mushy mess. I really don't like slimy greasy Kava and it seemed like I ended up with more sediment than usual. I had a small taste and got some good effects. But the slime factor grosses me out so I may go back to using 113 degree water and kneading the fool out of it.

Of course, I will be drinking the Melo during the week and I may change my mind depending on how that goes.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
Its crazy how a couple months back if anyone mentioned boiling water, we'd all be like "NOOOO NOOO boiling water it BAD! it destroys kavalactones!"
And ever since this new guy came and explained how good it was and everyone tried it, it became the thing to do

D

Deleted User01

Akava, I may not be doing again. I would say it's the thing to try at least once. Then decide for yourself. Some people like the result, I just don't like the slime factor. I think the eye opener for all of us is that boiling Kava DOES NOT kill Kavalactones like we were led to believe. The caveat being that the Kava can not be at boiling temperature for very long. The other axiom is that making Kava at high heat creates nasty tasting Kava. That may be true but I use a lot of Coconut Water so I cannot testify to that.

violet

Do all things with love
I think the controversy comes from the idea that lactones are destroyed when brought to the boiling point - except that the boiling point of kava lactones is much higher than the boiling point of water, so bringing kava to a boil in water does not destroy the active constituents.

D

Deactivated Account

Tried it once...I don't doubt I made poorly & personally I would have rathered drink a shell of warm pork fat with a hair in it.

I will certainly try it again with a little more patience.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I like to boil kava sometimes and sometimes I like the cold water, I find the boiling will make the effect more body and more of a down effect, I find the cold water way will give me the euphoria and the pleasant feeling, it seems that the boiling does something to the Kavain, or it just increases the DHK and the DHM. Done the right way it has it's place but you can over cook it and it will taste bad, but done right like in my video, it will change the flavor to a different somewhat more acceptable flavor. Both methods have there qualities and advantages, it just depends on what you are looking for from the kava at that point in time, like for me tonight it is a cold water method. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Well folks, this afternoon is Kava day for me so I will be checking my boiled Kava. Now whether I use hot water or tepid water, I alway bottle the Kava and drink it ice cold. This afternoon I'll be checking for the texture of the drink, the taste, and of course the effects. In any case, I'm sure I'll be relaxed at the end of the day and sleep like a new born. More to come ....

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I like it so much, I've gotton used to it now.
I wonder if certain varieties work better in cold prep "or hot prep" compared to others.
I believe we should have a thread somewhere, where we can compare notes to difference strain,
with both methods being tested on different dates "that way the results are not tainted by either opposite methods"

D

Deleted User01

I just did my first small cup of Melo Melo. It wasn't as slimy and thick as it was when I made. The effects are good but it's too early to tell if they are better or not. Endwatcher, did you notice if the texture of your Kava was different using the boiling method. Like thicker, muddier or any other adjective you care to bandy about? And why do you like it better? I'm doing afternoon so according to Chris, I should have more body effect (which I don't want in the afternoon). But actual today, I have the allergies or something and maybe it will help be relax a bit more.

Give me some input while I have the bottle in front of me so I can compare your notes to mine.

endwatcher

Mine was quite a bit thicker, and I could visualy see much more oils in the grog.
I used some Wakacon Lawena in the boil method and it WAS CRAZY THICK, I was a little scared to drink it, and yes.....it was hard to drink.
Ive also been adding Sunflower Lecithin while I let the boiling water and Kava spin my my blender, so I think thats helping in the extraction.
The effects are def. much stronger, just the numbing alone is crazy good "Like dentest good, lol"

Much more all around on effects.
Taste has been more starchy, but all have been pretty good tasting; other then the wakacon.

D

Deleted User01

I noticed the dental effect yesterday morning when I took a swig before breakfast (after I made it). I felt it all the way down my throat which I though was unusual. But you are confirming what I see in the texture of the grog. Thicker and not so inviting to say the least. Mine is ice cold so I hold my nose and put it down. I don't think I could drink thick greasy Kava at room temperature. I'm shuttering just thinking about it. Thanks for the input. I wanted to make sure that it was the Kava that was thick and not some kind of chemical reaction caused by the coconut water that I use. I may have more to report at 5:00 Central, I'm already overdue for my second dose. Here it goes, shake the bottle, pour the Kava, to your Health and finally ..... BULA!

endwatcher

You'll dig it, BULA!

Im drinking beers tonight..so no Awa :(

I also chilled my grog...warm thick liquid...er...resembles some other stuff, grossing me out,:wtf:
lol

D

Deleted User01

I can dig it. I had Beer on Saturday and red wine on Sunday. But I always look forward to my Kava days when I know I'm going to totally relax after work and sleep like a log. No alcohol on Kava days and I don't really need it. I sometimes have fitful sleep on my booze drinking days, especially if I ate too much BBQ.

P.S. Do you remember the words to the "Diarrhea Song". You could add a line to it, something along the lines of "If your grog is thick and slimy and it's tasting kinda piney, Diarrhea, Diarrhea.":wtf: Ok, I must have had 1 too many cups already. Your turn ...second verse different than the first.

D

Deleted User01

Whew, my final post for the day. I had my boiled Kava and I didn't feel that it was any stronger than usual. Here is the caveat. When I was squeezing it, it seemed like there was a ton of particulate going thru my nylon mesh. And it was an oily, greasy, mushy mess. I freaked out and stopped kneading. This may have been my downfall. In event, I'm feeling pretty good right now. My allergies seem to have disappeared. I think the Kava talked to them.

Good nite folks, and once again, welcome back Infraredz.

D

Deactivated Account

So I wonder if this is how the kava resin is made ? Just low temp heating to remove the moisture.

endwatcher

So I wonder if this is how the kava resin is made ? Just low temp heating to remove the moisture.
Tried it over the weekend.
Problem I had was I used the Wakacon, which had WAY MORE gooey-ness like I stated in a last post.
It kinda dried funny.
I learned 2 things with this one.
1)While drying in oven at LOW temp, dont use a glass container
2) Dont use wakacon

I am pretty sure that when I re-try this....it will work
Then its on:D