What's new

Dermopathy quiz

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
So question for those who consume daily. How much do you consume per day and do you get dermopathy or not?

I'm sick of running into it, so I've been working on lowering my dose over the past few days. Right now I'm at 1/2 cup of powdered root, daily. No dice as it still seems to be getting worse, I wonder if I need to go lower or wait for this case of dermo to go away before I start again. Anyone managed to consume around this amount daily without dermo?

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
What do you drink? Unless it's some tudei or shakas-makas, it must be your body. I drink kava a few times per week (similar amounts to what you drink or the potency equivalent in micro/instant) and I have never had any problems.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's noble. I've gotten dermopathy from noble instant/micronized as well. I dunno about my body, but it's certainly worse in the wintertime.

I am coming off 3/4 cup, often more daily so it's possible if I just stop, let it go away and then return to the 1/2 cup I might do okay.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It's noble. I've gotten dermopathy from noble instant/micronized as well. I dunno about my body, but it's certainly worse in the wintertime.

I am coming off 3/4 cup, often more daily so it's possible if I just stop, let it go away and then return to the 1/2 cup I might do okay.
Hmm, I don't know it it's of any relevance, but I always drink buckets of ginger beer and rooibos tea during and after my kava sessions. I also eat pineapples or grapes as chasers. Perhaps I just get well-hydrated?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Google google on the wall, what the hell is dermopathy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25069767

I believe @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava found a study implicating kavalactones in dermopathy, but I can't for the life of me find it. Chris, do you remember the one?

I am definitely hydrated, always follow up my kava with two full glasses of hot water and one for sipping. From my experience, I am pretty well convinced it is just some combination of kavalactone dose and frequency. Was just curious how low I have to go on that to avoid any noticable symptoms.

D

Deactivated Account

found a study implicating kavalactones in dermopathy, but I can't for the life of me find it. Chris, do you remember the one?
I am 100% sold on makas doing it not kavalactones. I get it all the time in varying degrees from waka however never ever once have i had it from fresh, which is really a watery sap & very limited residue.

D

Deactivated Account

I am 100% sold on makas doing it. I get it all the time in varying degrees from waka however never ever once have i had it from fresh, which is really a watery sap & very limited residue.
Interesting, it's fairly well known even in Vanuatu though right?
I have never ever once seen demopathy on a nivan & as you know its easy to spot on dark skin. I have however seen it on the hands of the nivans mixing it though but they might mix 50-60 litres a day or more for the owners of multiply nakamals.

Ive seen it in bucket loads on Fijians here drinking powdered.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I go long periods of time without getting it. It seems to get worse in the winter with the dry air, and I get clay dust all over me at work that seems to dry me out even more. It also appears as though, once I get it, it wants to lingering or return easily. When I was drinking a harder 245xxx chemotype regular, it arrived more furiously and was hard to shake. When I switched to verified noble, it cleared up for a long time. It's recently come back with noble, perhaps due to dry air and clay dust. One or two days with Amlactin always seems to clear it up.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Really? Shakas I know you're kinda heavy on the dose, do you use daily?

I agree on it coming back easier. I think whatever is getting deposited in the epidermis that causes it needs to go past a certain threshold to become evident, but may need more time after it disappears to return to baseline. The human epidermis takes like 40-60 days to turn over completely. (This is just me spitballing, I got my degree from Google University, so don't take it too seriously).

The dry air makes definitely makes it a lot worse.
I have never ever once seen demopathy on a nivan & as you know its easy to spot on dark skin. I have however seen it on the hands of the nivans mixing it though but they might mix 50-60 litres a day or more for the owners of multiply nakamals.
Definitely the skin contact makes it worse, before I started using gloves I only used my right hand to knead and the difference was crazy.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Swap...103 here now :(
Haha we can't win. It's nice outside here right now, wore t-shirts and a shore today (and the kava plant went outside to soak up some sun), but I'd take the 103 100% humidity back for some relief from the dermo.

D

Deactivated Account

image.jpg
Haha we can't win. It's nice outside here right now, wore t-shirts and a shore today (and the kava plant went outside to soak up some sun), but I'd take the 103 100% humidity back for some relief from the dermo.
You just bring the kava ....I'll sort the heat.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I consume fairly heavily every day. I drink 2tbsp of micro for breakfast then, depending on my day at work, some paradise extract at work. Then usually a 1/2cup of medium grind through a pretty lenient strainer so there's a fair amount of sediment. I only notice on my hands but I forget gloves often and I'm an auto technician so I wash them 20 times a day which doesn't help.

I DO get some shoulder derm from the 11 year when I near the end of my 1lb bag. I've found that gold bond ultimate healing lotion works the best for me.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I drink some amount of kava every day, minimum 3 tsp micronised. Never had dermopathy. I do moisturise my skin fairly relentlessly though because it sometimes gets fairly dry unless the weather is humid. I also use lanolin quite often; it must be the most economical thing to put on your skin, a small jar (250ml) lasts me months.