What's new

Dermopathy quiz

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
The Dermopathy question is one that is no closer to being resolved than it was 15 years ago. I do however think that by people like us who use kava and give there experience with the dermopathy will help us all to get a better understanding of what causes it and why.
I can tell you that I used to get dermopathy from kava in the 1990's but that was because I was drinking all kinds of kava from everywhere. I was testing samples of extracts and regular kava too so I was going a bit overboard with kava at that time. I did not get it that bad but you could tell it was there. If I were to stop for a week or so then it would go away and not come back for a few months.
Now days I do drink kava every day and I drink only kava that I grow and I do not get the dermopathy anymore. I am sure if i were to up the dose and drink more then I would get it but I think I found a good dose that I like and my body does not seem to mind because I do not get the dermo like I used to.

There have been studies that tried to figure out what caused this issue and one of them thought it had to do with niacin and they did experiments on people and the study found that taking niacin while drinking the kava had no effect on the dermo problem. They still got the dermo and there was no change, not better and not worst.

Here is a small study that was done in Vanuatu at a Hospital---
Kava drinking in Vanuatu--a hospital based survey.
Abstract
Kava is an intoxicating non-fermented beverage native to the Pacific Islands. In Vanuatu men traditionally drank kava on ceremonial occasions. Now however men and women drink kava on a casual basis. To assess the kava-drinking habits of current-day ni-Vanuatu, 150 people were surveyed at Vila Central Hospital, (50 medical and 50 surgical patients plus 50 staff). 35% of those surveyed drank kava, (9% daily). 59% of men and 15% of women drank kava (approximately 4:1). 51% of all men drank kava at least weekly, compared to 11% of women. For any given kava-drinking episode men drank more than women, (4.3 +/- 2 vs 3.3 +/- 1.3 shells). There was no significant difference in age between drinkers and non-drinkers or in usage rates between patient groups or staff. Women attaining higher levels of education and women resident on Vanuatu's main island were more likely to drink kava. Of the women surveyed who were resident on outer islands none drank kava. This study reveals that the consumption of fresh kava on a regular basis is very common in Vanuatu. If this is the case it also suggests that whilst much is written about the dermopathy, weight loss and, more recently, possible liver disease associated with kava use that these and other health problems are of doubtful significance. This is also supported by field experience.

So we can see that unless more scientist start looking into this we will not really know what causes the dermopathy problem. I think since it is not harmful and it is reversible it makes this a low priority for most scientist that study kava.
I do know after talking with several Kava scientist recently that they are continuing work on kava and the liver and also other compounds in kava and there lack of toxicity or otherwise, they will also be studying Tudei kava and looking more into that issue.
So lets here some more experiences on kava and dermopathy. It may give us some ideas. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I do about 3 tablespoons of Hawaiian microniized 4-5 times a week, no dermo. This winter, I get "pin pricks" on my bacd. I'll bet that is the Winter plus the Kava. Perhaps on the verge of getting dermo. But moisturizing the pin pricks makes them go away. I only drink the GHK kavas that begin with a 4 though I do have some boroguru that I consume once a week.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I seem to get it more furiously with certain strains... Boroguru, Nambawan etc. And the cold definitely exacerbates it. I make between 6-8 tbs daily. The funny thing is that if I stop suddenly it seems to get worse before going away::whattheff:: Howzat work? ::shakefist2::

CentaurianSlug

My waka's got makas but still "rakas"
I drink a range of micronized kavas daily and have slightly dry skin but only noticed dermopathy with a certain extract pill that I will never get again.

Shantu

Kava Curious
I had it slightly during the summer when I used to drink Tanna Marang about two to four times a week. Mostly on my hands from (I assume) making the drink. I had about 6-8 tablespoons of powder a time if I recall correctly + second wash.

D

Deleted User01

I seem to get it more furiously with certain strains... Boroguru, Nambawan etc. And the cold definitely exacerbates it. I make between 6-8 tbs daily. The funny thing is that if I stop suddenly it seems to get worse before going away::whattheff:: Howzat work? ::shakefist2::
The easy answer would be lay off the Vanuatuan Kava for a while and do stuff like Moi' or nene. That is assuming those give the you the effects you desire for whatever condition you are trying to quell. It would be a good experiment in any event.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
The easy answer would be lay off the Vanuatuan Kava for a while and do stuff like Moi' or nene. That is assuming those give the you the effects you desire for whatever condition you are trying to quell. It would be a good experiment in any event.
Great jman! I knew I could count on you to bail me out(y) Hhmm..I just noticed that Nangol seems to be aggravating it too, thus confirming your suggestion to lay off Vanuatuan kavas for a while. Now I need to check on the Ava Lea..I've got some coming from Chris this week. Here's hoping! ::awesomesmiles::

Crunked

Proselytizer
I drink kava daily and I've never had dermo. But I don't drink tudei, I use gloves when mixing kava, I never toss and wash (except GHK micronized) I keep myself well hydrated and I use coconut soap. But with a sample size of n=1, I think my contribution has no value. However if I had to pick a suspect, I'd go for the makas.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Come on guys, if you measure your kava in teaspoons, of course you're not gonna get dermo ::amirite::

I honestly don't think tudei has anything to do with it except insofar as it's typically stronger than noble. Same with Vanuatu v. other kavas.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@kavadude Tudei has given me the worst Dermo of my life. After I switched to all noble it did recede, however it has never entirely gone away. I just reduced my dose from 55 grams to 35 grams and it's helped a ton.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I disagree. If @nemo is right (and I'm in his camp). Then, we need to compare the same strain (nobel or otherwise) with and without makas. But I can't get Chris or anyone else to help me do that. It would be great if I could get some Moi or 11 year old, some with makas and some without.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@kavadude Tudei has given me the worst Dermo of my life. After I switched to all noble it did recede, however it has never entirely gone away. I just reduced my dose from 55 grams to 35 grams and it's helped a ton.
I'm guessing you were consuming a lot more back then too with the tudei though, no?

D

Deactivated Account

@nemo yeah, man. It ruined micro for me from then on.
£%#}€ me...I'm going to be in a right state once I get my snout onto it in a few weeks then.

I'm prob going to end up in the Aussie goanna section of some bloody Florida Reptile Park.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
£%#}€ me...I'm going to be in a right state once I get my snout onto it in a few weeks then.

I'm prob going to end up in the Aussie goanna section of some bloody Florida Reptile Park.
Just the tuday fro HKC. It ruined it for me. I never got Dermo from any other strain of micro. I'm sure I'd love Chris's noble micronized kavas, but it's more of a texture and memory thing for me now. If a tiny fiber makes it to the back of my throat when drinking I find it difficult not to immediately blow chunks.