What's new

Developing a GMP Kava Processing Facility in Tonga

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Hi All,
Our company is prospecting to invest in a GMP Kava processing facility in Tonga that mimics such establishments in Vanuatu and Fiji. It is our mission to give the small crop farmers in Tonga a safe and standardized way of exporting their Kava to the global Kava community. Through prior experience of exporting Kava from Tonga, it is apparent that the lack of qualitative oversight and corruption in the country has hindered their Kava presence in the global market.

I would love to hear your advice on establishing the infrastructure to accomplish this.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hi All,
Our company is prospecting to invest in a GMP Kava processing facility in Tonga that mimics such establishments in Vanuatu and Fiji. It is our mission to give the small crop farmers in Tonga a safe and standardized way of exporting their Kava to the global Kava community. Through prior experience of exporting Kava from Tonga, it is apparent that the lack of qualitative oversight and corruption in the country has hindered their Kava presence in the global market.

I would love to hear your advice on establishing the infrastructure to accomplish this.
Tyler with the American Kava Association has a wealth of knowledge regarding cGMP and USFDA issues. He'd be a huge help. He's not too active on this forum but you should be able to contact him through the AKA website I linked to.

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
@PacIsleKava - best of luck in your endeavor. Sorry, not sure how much help I can be. If you have a good handle on sourcing and relationships with farmers I think you should be ok. Assuming GMP regulations are in place, it still does not guarantee "bad kava" is not being mixed in with good. Even through lactone profile tests it can be hard to determine....best to know and trace kava back to origin. Alohas~

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've been continually impressed by Tongan kava, and I think this is an excellent venture. To make the kava you buy, process, import the most widely available, I think you could consider on-site testing for nobility (acetonic) and kavalactone percentage and chemotype (HLPC) to keep the market free of the Bad Kava that would sully the reputation of Tongan kava and kava as a whole.

At this point in kava's lifecycle in the USA, establishing a spotless record for high quality, strong, noble kava is going to be a key competitive factor.

We are currently having difficulties in the EU and aren't much help to you guys. Rest assured, when we get our problems solved here though we will be happy to sell any Noble Kava from Tonga. Wishing you all the best of luck.