What's new

Digestive Aid....If it was available, would you take it?

Digestive Aid to relieve Kava issues (gas, nausea)....If it was available, would you take it?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The gas is just part of the fun - ask my partner (oh wait, he/she left long ago)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Just wondering if there was a KavO (like Bean-O) product that helped with gas and nausea, if anyone would be interested enough to take it. I'm mostly vegetarian (I do like plants) and I'm pretty sure I'd have more friends if I took something like this every day, regardless of kava consumption.
Anyway, I have some connections....so....it might be possible!
Funny, while I was writing this, member @Kavo logged in. Nothing personal, Kavo. In fact, maybe it should be called Kava-Ohh Ahh (wait, maybe that implies something else).

Poivrier

methystified
Ginger for nausea !

I would rather take a digestive aid that would allow me to enjoy kava even with a full stomach !

Bwiggy

I like plants
I hear ya @Poivrier - I'd take that. I'd drink more if I could enjoy it on a full stomach. Not sure if that would complicate the gas thing.
Fresh ginger slices are great for nausea and to clear that kava taste.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Awesome, thanks @verticity. I just read your description under your name. So that's the digestive issue I'm talking about. Have you tried anything that worked?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Awesome, thanks @verticity. I just read your description under your name. So that's the digestive issue I'm talking about. Have you tried anything that worked?
No, I actually just step forward and claim that I am Fartacus to protect the real Fartacus. But I do fart a lot. I tried fennel seeds, and they might have helped a little.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Hmm, I wonder who the real Fartacus is...and if we're related. I think it's a possibility.
anyway, I think it might be beneficial to take enzymes for it.
I'm about ready for that.

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
hmm... yeah, I'd take something for nausea! Lately it hasen't been as much of an issue, but if I get into something heavy like boroguru, then yeah. I don't care about the gas. It isn't nearly as bad as beer farts and since I started kava, I don't drink beer anymore. My wife concurs. She hears it but doesn't smell it anymore. In the theater, I tell her "it's alright, baby, I'll tell em I did it".

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Yeah, we need a Lactaid for kava. Chewable tablets of not too bad tasting powders that settle the gut during kava sessions. Might have to take it beforehand to give it a headstart.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
@Steve Mariotti , I 'm curious if you have digestive issues with kava, 100% of the time?
also, is it exclusive to kava or anything, for that matter....?
From the esophagus downwards, it's just a nightmare over here. Lactose intolerant, hyperacidic, IBS has almost put me on medical leave a couple times, I'm sensitive like a soft cushion.

When I first started drinking kava, I was using paint strainer bags and it was making me gurgle all night long with gas and commotion going on downstairs that prevented sleep. It was pretty bad. But I liked the feeling of kava. So I got progressively finer and finer straining bags until the gut torment went away. I stopped at 25 micron nylon monofilament mesh, after seeing that nut milk bags are just nylon monofilament mesh. This worked! I could enjoy kava without gurgling like a pachinko parlor for hours.

Then there's the ongoing and persistent low-level gas situation that's kind of always there. Not that I'm super gassy ALL the time, but I'm at least a little gassy pretty much throughout my day. It's never super bad, and it's never painful, it's just kind of always there.

Bloating and gas are usually the result of digestion happening in the large intestine where it's really supposed to be about water extraction. I've found that certain things "late digest" and end up giving me gas. Some fruits, cruciferous vegetables, some sugary things... they feed the bacteria in the large intestine. I think kava takes up residence in the same neighborhood, late in the session, during the night, the next day.

I'd love to know what the bacteria are working on so that I could find a way to remove it. :)

krazyforkava

Kava Enthusiast
@Bwiggy I don't usually get nausea from kava, so after I drink my kava I'll take some if needed. But if you usually get nausea you might want to take it before kava consumption.

Bwiggy

I like plants
From the esophagus downwards, it's just a nightmare over here. Lactose intolerant, hyperacidic, IBS ....

I stopped at 25 micron nylon monofilament mesh, after seeing that nut milk bags are just nylon monofilament mesh. This worked!. :)
Whoa, Steve. You've got a lot to deal with. Did you ever try getting off gluten for a couple months. It's so addicting, its difficult. But it seems related to so many problems.
Anyway, I've been gluten free for a year. It feels great.

You probably know all this, but I'll just mention Kefir, which helps repopulate all the helpful bacteria, that restores gut health, and Enzymes. That's all Beeno is, a specific kind of enzyme meant to assist digestion. Brands matter, as they affect quality. Enzymes, Inc. creates reliably high quality enzymes.

A point of clarification, is a nut milk bag the same as 25 icon nylon monofilament..... Are you saying nut milk bags worked for you?

thanks,
Brigid

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Whoa, Steve. You've got a lot to deal with. Did you ever try getting off gluten for a couple months. It's so addicting, its difficult. But it seems related to so many problems.
Anyway, I've been gluten free for a year. It feels great.

You probably know all this, but I'll just mention Kefir, which helps repopulate all the helpful bacteria, that restores gut health, and Enzymes. That's all Beeno is, a specific kind of enzyme meant to assist digestion. Brands matter, as they affect quality. Enzymes, Inc. creates reliably high quality enzymes.

A point of clarification, is a nut milk bag the same as 25 icon nylon monofilament..... Are you saying nut milk bags worked for you?

thanks,
Brigid
Hey there, Brigid. I had tests done where biopsies were taken of my large intenstine looking for evidence of celiac sprue and I'm totally fine on that front. Gluten intolerance is over-diagnosed and/or over-self-diagnosed to my mind, though anything that works for you is something you should listen to. If eating a pint of mule dung every morning took care of my digestive woes, I'd have one staked in the middle of my back yard. A mule, I mean.

I do take pro-biotic supplements and eat fermented foods to help with gut flora. It does seem to help.

The 25 micron bags I'm using are intended for industrial/commercial filtration systems. Specifically, for biodiesel reclamation filtration processes. It's the same material (at a finer mesh) that is used in nut milk bags which are usually more convenient to use and easier to find, though don't get so small as 25 microns. The smallest commercial nut milk bag I found was 80 micron nylon monofilament, and most are 200 or so.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Hi Steve - So if I wanted a good filter, I could buy a nut milk bag and get more filtered out than a standard filter bag, is that right?

Over the long haul, maybe the situation will improve without beer, etc. clogging everything up.

From what I understand, probiotics need pre-biotics. Sometimes you can get them together.

....and enzymes are a different beast. Enzymes are known to help with gas, bloating, etc. from beans, cruciferous veggies, starches, etc. and every other aspect of digestion.
More here http://www.enzymesinc.com/digestive-supplements/ .

I'm sorry to hear about all your distress. My comments are meant to help and if they are of no interest, no explanation needed. I just wish the best for you.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Hi Steve - So if I wanted a good filter, I could buy a nut milk bag and get more filtered out than a standard filter bag, is that right?
I guess it depends on what you call a standard filter bag. If you're talking about the nylon mesh paint strainers, then yes, a nut milk bag will remove more makas. I don't know how the silk straining bags from fiji rate on the micron scale, but I suspect it's not much lower than 200 based on my reading. I found the convenience of nut milk bags to be excellent, but just needed finer grit!

....and enzymes are a different beast. Enzymes are known to help with gas, bloating, etc. from beans, cruciferous veggies, starches, etc. and every other aspect of digestion.
More here http://www.enzymesinc.com/digestive-supplements/ .
Yes, and definitely something that I've looked into and have had some good effect. Daily I take probiotic/prebiotic blend with a bunch of psyllium fiber and that pretty much evens me out. Thank god.

I'm sorry to hear about all your distress. My comments are meant to help and if they are of no interest, no explanation needed. I just wish the best for you.
No, THANK YOU for your comments, concern, and help! I really appreciate the attention to my disability. :)

Bwiggy

I like plants
Good.... we're good, and sounds like you're good!

Can I ask you about the straining situation - I've used a few muslin strainers - 1) how do you order yours - what are they called? 2) It takes so long just to let the liquid drain....how do you have it set up? I hook mine from the kitchen sink and put a container underneath, then massage it to help the liquid out. Still takes like 20 minutes to strain.

mjazzguitar

Kava Curious
Can I ask you about the straining situation - I've used a few muslin strainers - 1) how do you order yours - what are they called? 2) It takes so long just to let the liquid drain....how do you have it set up? I hook mine from the kitchen sink and put a container underneath said:
Are you using a lot of kava? I put about a cup in a bag and soak it in a couple cups of hot water for a half hour. Then just wring it out a number of times. I reuse it again and the second time use something to press down on the bag while it's still in the liquid to try to get everything out of it.
If I have powder I use the wash and toss method and there can be considerable more nausea, but ginger ale helps with that, and the aftertaste. I don't get any increased flatulence.
I stopped eating meat, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.