What's new

Digestive Aid....If it was available, would you take it?

Digestive Aid to relieve Kava issues (gas, nausea)....If it was available, would you take it?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The gas is just part of the fun - ask my partner (oh wait, he/she left long ago)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
I recently tried Bromelain, but had to stop because it made my GERD flare up something awful. I didn't notice it helping with the kava bloat/gas, but I don't really experience those side effects too much and my GERD may have overshadowed any benefits. So, I guess this was a pretty pointless thing to mention haha.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Can I ask you about the straining situation - I've used a few muslin strainers - 1) how do you order yours - what are they called? 2) It takes so long just to let the liquid drain....how do you have it set up? I hook mine from the kitchen sink and put a container underneath, then massage it to help the liquid out. Still takes like 20 minutes to strain.
I started with this 80 micron nut milk bag:

Amazon product
Then I moved down to 25 microns with some of these:

Amazon product
I've stayed with the 25 micron bags for 6 months. I have four of them, and I clean them regularly (sometimes just soaking in boiling water with a little soap. Sometimes if they're really clogged (after mixing up a lot of freshly harvested GHK powder) I soak them in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for an hour and then rinse them out thoroughly. That is the "nuclear option" for cleaning up the nylon, which the kavalactone waxy oils stick to over time.

They can take as much pressure and torsion as I can apply with all of my strength, and over time they develop small holes from medium grind root fibers pushing through, but nothing too severe and they continue to perform fine and I had no digestive upset despite a little more sediment leakage.

I'd suggest trying the nut milk bag first, as it's higher quality and easier to work with and clean up. The filtration bags come with a steel ring for fitting over the filtration equipment and I have to remove that using wire snips, pliers and a little elbow grease. This last bag I haven't removed the ring, and I see a little rust around the edges where it's sewn in into the filter.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Ah, that's what I needed @Steve Mariotti , thanks.
do you work it while it's filtering out the water? My kava keeps coming out the tie string opening, so I have to open it and put the kava/water mix in and refuter.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Ah, that's what I needed @Steve Mariotti , thanks.
do you work it while it's filtering out the water? My kava keeps coming out the tie string opening, so I have to open it and put the kava/water mix in and refuter.
I twist the top a BUNCH of times to prevent leaking. The Nut Milk bag has a draw string, which is really helpful as you can draw it tight, then twist it a few times and then tie a bow really tight and it holds.

Generally what I do is put the empty bag in my bowl, put the kava in it, put the warm water in, and let it soak inside the strainer. Then, when it comes to straining, I just squeeze all of the air and most of the water out of it, and leave enough water inside to make it squishy, then squish and squish. Occasionally I bring it up and twist the hell out of it, then put it back in and massage it to let water back in. And repeat.

Seems to work great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.