What's new

Member Soapbox Does anyone else drink kava all day?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I am working on my kavalactone content and chemotype article right now so I do not have time to go into this but soon I will clear things up as best I can for the dermapothy question, there is some interesting stuff about it and you will all find it informative so stay tuned. Aloha.

Chris

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Roaddog A lot of us that have dermopathy issues often have a little going on somewhere always. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you try to drink through it or not, the result is still the same. You just find that balance between how much you can drink on a daily basis and how much dermopathy you feel like dealing with. The best thing I know for it is what Kavalot does, use a prescription steroid ointment, works wonders.

I used to get fierce dermopathy from drinking boroguru. It could have been the grind, it could have been the root, hard to tell. When BKH's grind got finer I had to jump ship because a single session gave me instant killer skin issues. I've gotten it from other kinds of kava as well. The Hawaiians are a different story, I don't get dermopathy from them and I drink a good bit of it every day (60-100 grams strained unless I have micronized). The closest I ever got to dermopathy from GHK kava is when I went through a half pound of micronized in a few days, got a little bit of eye dryness but nothing more. So I think certain kavas could be more apt to cause dermopathy than others.
Wow. great answer too. You do see a correlations from different kavas, to others. I am using a product called mood&mind Vanuata. Its got a nice heady feeling. I have not tested it. I am waiting on some Fijian from Wakacon, to arrive. I believe its been tested on this Forum, and proven to be Nobel. So I will do the test when it finally arrives in the mail. Usually I have to wait a week and its from Amazon. Anywho, just wanted to say, I like your reply. I like the cream idea. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Hi everyone, I am working on my kavalactone content and chemotype article right now so I do not have time to go into this but soon I will clear things up as best I can for the dermapothy question, there is some interesting stuff about it and you will all find it informative so stay tuned. Aloha.

Chris
Awesome. Will do. Cant wait, litterly. Just kidding. Thanks for all your hard work @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Much love. Roaddog....

Dr Bowman

Kava Curious
I drink Kava about 2 days a week tops. I have a couple beers while cooking and eating dinner 2-3 days a week as well. I don't think kava would go too well with a meal, I've never tried it, but sure don't plan to in the near future.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I find I can eat a heavy meal 2 hours after consuming kava, and 3 hours after eating. To some degree, I find eating after my night kava, to be quite pleasant. It can smooth out any edginess, and help me relax. Much love. Roaddog....

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan

Chris
Intrigued, for sure. I've wondered if chemotype/cultivar affects people differently in regards to dermapothy duration and/or severity. For me, some kavas affect me different than others. Some I won't get any dry skin or skin irritation while other types I may get rash-like itchy spots.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Boy I have been hitting it hard today. Started at 11am and going all the way to 8pm. Ill take a break after this one. But it just seemed like a beautiful day to enjoy a lot of kava. Probably more than I have ever consumed in one day. A little itchy today, but not too bad really. My itchy seems to be under control, for the most part, now. Im trying to listen to the kava, and it all like, welcome to Hawaii. Aloha. Its like I have been hanging out at the kava bar all day. Well see how the hangover, and itch is tomorrow. Much love. Roaddog....

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Try amlactin twice daily for dermopathy. Stuffs magic. Only thing that truly prevents it. That said, I dislike daytime kava. Especially high dhm/dhk. If I drink it in the morning I feel depressed and apathetic all day. High kavains I could see doing, but nah. I like being alert.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Try amlactin twice daily for dermopathy. Stuffs magic. Only thing that truly prevents it. That said, I dislike daytime kava. Especially high dhm/dhk. If I drink it in the morning I feel depressed and apathetic all day. High kavains I could see doing, but nah. I like being alert.
Just ordered some. Thanks. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Roaddog So I think certain kavas could be more apt to cause dermopathy than others.
I've read so much about dermopathy since joining this site, I've lost track of everything I've read. But after all of what I've read, this is the first time I'm hearing that there might be a relationship between Kava chemotypes and dermopathy. Even Chris in another post somewhere now talks about removing the star fibers contained in the center of the root to reduce the effects of dermopathy. This seems a pretty significant casual relationship to me. Since I'm susceptible to the derma ick, I'm definitely going to restrict my Kavas to ones that are believed to have less impact for dermopathy. At least for awhile, just to verify the validity of this concept.

I would have to say, that if this were true, this would be a much stronger argument for me personally to stop using tudei's instead of trying to reduce my FKB intake.

Anyways I hope this leads to a better understanding as to what really causes dermopathy, and maybe an antidote for it. If that ever happened, then Kava would the total perfect solution for me.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I drink kava daily, and usually have my first shell around noon. I'll often drink 5 or 6 shells between noon and bedtime, with increasing frequency as it gets later. There is a "medicinal" level that is very useful to me, and that's pretty much what I maintain 'til evening.

Dermopathy? Sure, but totally manageable with lotion. And besides, it's a badge of honor in Vanuatu, isn't it?
Thanks Deleted User, that's about close to what I have been doing. Well I take a morning, and an evening, and some times a lunch.:sneaky: Much love, Roaddog....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
This may be due to other factors I'm unaware of Roaddog, so take this with a grain of salt. Some strains of kava I've had give me more than the occasional loose stool, others more dermopathy but lessend loose stool and some like Chris's Boroguru hold no prevalence with either of those symptoms. This is an aspect I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around; tudeis/isas were one thing, and now I've grasped that subject, but these things still confound me.

And since it is how it is without having the referential information. I suggest what others have suggested to deal with these side affects. Although I'm not sure if this really helps but with loose stool, I try to eat a couple hours after consuming kava and not immediately after. With dermopathy, refined or unrefined coconut oil is used to moisturize the skin since I've no amlactin on hand atm or any personal usage of it and can only offer their opinion in saying; if it's working for so many others, than amlactin is the best current treatment known. :D(y)

Any issues caused by daily usage can hopefully be mitigated by taking these and other precautions but if it only seems to get worse then the kava is certainly "speaking to you" Roaddog. ;):D

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Ya @Monkava'd I may try coconut oil, that's easy to get. Although I did order some amlactin, I have plenty of patches to try it out on. And as @Deleted User said the rash is a badge of honor.:D
Much love. Roaddog....
I use coconut oil as a moisturizer also. The great thing about it is it has this cooling property to it. It cools any itchy spots and provides instant relief. Now it's no specially formulated over the counter cure so it may not help bad cases but it's a natural substance that really helps. I also put it in my grog as it *may help potency but it does help flavor if nothing else

Monkava'd

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer also. The great thing about it is it has this cooling property to it. It cools any itchy spots and provides instant relief. Now it's no specially formulated over the counter cure so it may not help bad cases but it's a natural substance that really helps. I also put it in my grog as it *may help potency but it does help flavor if nothing else
It's also a great energy and immune booster when taken daily by the tablespoon.
I'll just place this here -
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/hwnl_9-4.htm
:D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
yes, I have been hearing great things about coconut oil.(y) I should try to find some. Much love Roaddog....

Monkava'd

20140624_213315.jpg

The jar on the right is the one I am currently using because of the price point but there is a slight taste of actual coconut which is not a problem if you like that sort of thing (it's very slight). The jar on the left is "primo" and has no taste, is in a glass jar for esthetics and because it's glass contains no bpa or bpa analogs. This one is my favorite but the price point reflects considerably so it's rare that I go out of my way to purchase it. :D
In a nutshell I just love coconut oil; plus it's about to make some "finger lickin good" brownies! :D
I felt that other word doesn't explain just how delicious they really are. :hungry:

Last edited:

Monkava'd

If only they could somehow be kava brownies Roaddog.....but the heat would destroy the kavalactones. :cry::rolleyes: