What's new

Drinking last night's kava?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I've done this twice now. Yesterday and today. Made kava last night. Left it in the bowl, drank some this morning for anxiety. Taste is about 10x stronger, do you think this is a bad idea though? Obviously it's probably a good idea to put it in the fridge but it slipped my mind.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Don't think I would do it if it was left out. In the fridge it can survive quite awhile although amazingly, it somehow tastes worse.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I've done this twice now. Yesterday and today. Made kava last night. Left it in the bowl, drank some this morning for anxiety. Taste is about 10x stronger, do you think this is a bad idea though? Obviously it's probably a good idea to put it in the fridge but it slipped my mind.

For me, the anti-anxiety effect lasts through most of the next day. I have tried drinking kava in the mornings, but it makes me too sleepy during the day so I stopped doing it.

But I don't notice any difference in the taste after leaving a batch in the fridge overnight, it tastes the same to me just cold.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I also noticed the effects are much stronger too. Couple of sips makes my mouth go completely numb and kills the anxiety, whereas before I'd have to drink a whole cup. Interesting. Normally I wouldn't do daytime kava either. But I stopped taking etizolam for sleep and have developed some withdrawals, and this is the only thing that's helping.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
No, the numbing action of kavain is much stronger then normal. There is always a bunch of sediment at the bottom of the kava bowl, I think this sitting and soaking has caused the kava to absorb more kavalactones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
No, the numbing action of kavain is much stronger then normal. There is always a bunch of sediment at the bottom of the kava bowl, I think this sitting and soaking has caused the kava to absorb more kavalactones.
Interesting. Maybe it is stronger if you leave it overnight, but since drinking the stuff in the morning makes me sleepy, I don't notice. Or maybe that's why it makes me sleepy, because it's too strong.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Makes me want to make my evening batch and toss it in the fridge in the morning to see if its much stronger.

infraredz

BULA!
A lot of kava bars definitely re-use any kava that wasn't sold/consumed by refrigerating it over night and then serving it the next day, so it isn't rare. That being said, I would definitely recommend that if you are going to drink kava that you prepared the night before, it should have been refrigerated overnight.

As far as kava getting more potent by just sitting there, I would be a little curious "how" that would actually work since the grog can't absorb any kavalactones since they are not water soluble and our kava (as we know it) is a suspension and not a solution.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I would say it would be safer to keep it in the fridge. I studied microbiology in college. One bacteria, cell, can turn to billions, in just hours. Now the real question is, does kava make a good substrate, for consumption by bacteria? That variable, can make all the difference. I would say Kava tea made with water, would have a high PH. Bacteria, dose not like high PH. It tremendously slows down the cell division. If that's not the case, and Kava makes a good catalyst, for bacteria growth, then doing so, could cause problems with food poisoning. I doubt that's the case. But if made with milk, I would through it away. I threw some away the other day, because my wife made some with soy, and left it out all night. It turned into a big clump. Now if you want to be for sure its safe, you could pasteurize it. Keeping it at 140 degrees F. for 1 hour, will kill all the bad bacteria. Usually milk companies keep their's at 150, but 140 will work. Probably too much trouble. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

I always have Kava in the fridge. Once you open the bottle and let the air in, then it can taste worse as time goes by. Just like red wine. But it's a convenience thing and I have been doing that with no ill effects for a while. At least no ill effects that I can see ....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I was convinced that kava must have an alkaline pH with the way it messes up my hands on contact (just like alkaline soap), so when I asked Chris he performed a pH test for me and the kavas he tested came out at 6.5.
Hahaha in my own personal experience it might be the the kavalactones being put into suspension and they themselves could be the cause of that feeling.

A theory but there do seem to be substances that in similar carry specific properties over from one method of use to the other; now of course we don't use kava for topical use because that would be just strange :confused: and may lead to some frankensteinesque crocodile skin monster :eek:.

But to get to the point; kava with high kavain contents has a rather numbing affect on the mouth; and therefore in emulsion whilst kneading; those affects translate over to what's in contanct at the moment.

And believe me I've had that feeling too before, almost like when a bit of water is put into a small paper cut but without the sharp pain (sorry if that makes no sense it's difficult to explain) .

I may be completely off key here but it's an interesting thought nonetheless, no:bookworm:?:coffee:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I was convinced that kava must have an alkaline pH with the way it messes up my hands on contact (just like alkaline soap), so when I asked Chris he performed a pH test for me and the kavas he tested came out at 6.5.
6.5 is not too bad. I'm a bit surprised. Of course this would very, from water source to water source. But Good to know. Also its hell on my hands too.

violet

Do all things with love
... now of course we don't use kava for topical use because that would be just strange...

But to get to the point; kava with high kavain contents has a rather numbing affect on the mouth; and therefore in emulsion whilst kneading; those affects translate over to what's in contanct at the moment.
Not that weird, kavain can be very useful topically (y)

Monkava'd

On the topic of using kava from one night to the other; yes I've walked down that dusty road before:cry:; ya know when you've got no fridge in sight, have managed to lose your shirt, socks and pants than for some reason walk hards playing in the backround:wacky:....wait that's definitely not the same thing.:smuggrin:

Anyways if ever I have kava saved for the next day with no fridge I make sure to keep it submerged in ice and sealed in a double walled mug so there's no temperature drop; even if it might be an anti-microbial; because here at the kava forums it's "better safe than sorry" (this should really be the kava forums slogan hint hint:woot:) .
(y)

I mean as some others said bacteria is a nasty foe to combat and you'll likely lose that battle.;):)

Monkava'd

Not that weird, kavain can be very useful topically (y)
Please 'do tell' :pompus: :coffee: hahaha but seriously you've intrigued me.
Edit- ahh you embedded a link, well darn how could I forget that it's used in that manner :facepalm:. Though I guess I should've been more specific and said that we don't use "grog" that way for the same reasons I stated hahaha :D.

Monkava'd

6.5 is not too bad. I'm a bit surprised. Of course this would very, from water source to water source. But Good to know. Also its hell on my hands too.
In my perspective good ol purified water is the only thing I'll use due to from what I can remember being found that tap water has properties and minerals in it in which will break down kavalactones rather quickly

Of course I'm not aware of the validity of that statement but as of now I personally use purified water because I know everything i'm getting comes with a stamp of assurance. (y);):D

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
A lot of kava bars definitely re-use any kava that wasn't sold/consumed by refrigerating it over night and then serving it the next day, so it isn't rare. That being said, I would definitely recommend that if you are going to drink kava that you prepared the night before, it should have been refrigerated overnight.

As far as kava getting more potent by just sitting there, I would be a little curious "how" that would actually work since the grog can't absorb any kavalactones since they are not water soluble and our kava (as we know it) is a suspension and not a solution.
Don't know how but it definitely is stronger after sitting for so long. Perhaps the particulates in the bottom soaked up more water and when I swirled the kava around before grabbing some (which I always do since the good stuff sinks to the bottom over time) it knocked more kavalactones loose?

Also as of now I haven't been stuck in the toilet with explosive diarrhea or anything lol. But I definitely will put it in the fridge tonight since I know I'll need another morning dose tomorrow.