What's new

Eating after kava. What's your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infraredz

BULA!
I've noticed that a few times after I've had my kava, if I eat some hot food it can almost 'bring back' the effects and even kick it up a notch. I've read some conflicting things on this (anecdotal reports) about it having this effect or the opposite. According to wikipedia, "

In Vanuatu, a strong kava drink is normally followed by a hot meal or tea. The meal traditionally follows some time after the drink so the psychoactives are absorbed into the bloodstream quicker. Traditionally, no flavoring is added."

I always consume kava on an empty stomach. I've felt this 'potentiation' of sorts anywhere from 0:30-1:30 after having my kava.

Is there any reason to this? Anyone else have similar or different experiences?

P

pitshack

I always try to consume kava on an empty stomach. For me there is a definite and noticable difference in potency.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
So, this happened yesterday...I had to toss n wash some Nambawan after a doctors appt..had a nerve wracking ride ahead of me...about an hour later I ate a bowl of chicken rice soup...about 15 minutes later, while sitting on the couch...BAM!! Suddenly I literally could not see straight. I've never had this experience before. It was so intense that I had to lay down and pass out for about an hour. Not the normal fuzzy blanket experience...but WAY beyond! Actually had me in a very uncomfortable place. lol

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, that's exactly what's happened to me on a few occasions and it always seems to be with hot food around an hour after I drink some kava. I usually don't eat until 2 hrs after just because my appetite is so low for the first couple hours.

I wonder why this happens?

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
That would be very interesting to find out. It's never happened to me before so I'm not sure if it's because, like you said I ate sooner than I normally do...but good grief it was something not to be toyed with! :eek:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava plus 15 minutes plus pepperoni pizza = krunk attack. I attribute it to the fact that kavalactones are actually quite difficult to absorb on their own, and anything greasy or fatty or warm will help them absorb more quickly.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think too. It seems to be the most pronounced with foods high in fat (ie. Olive oil and stuffed pasta, Quiche, etc).

There is more and more evidence that I've seen pointing to the importance of a lipid in kavalactone extraction whether it be into grog or physiologically.

Last edited:

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
I haven't tried this. I normally lose my appetite after a kava session (despite fasting for at least 2 hours before). Has anyone had success with something like hot tea or cocoa instead of food?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
My experience is that eating a delicious hamburger and then drinking a bunch of kava is not as great of an idea as you might think. I'll try the reverse this weekend when my order of *noble* kavas gets here.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, I think it's established eating on a stomach with any sort of food in it is not good.

Eating fatty foods after though, well that might just be pretty great! I've read someone saying that even non-caffeinated (or hot cocoa!) is also good. Who knows what the reason is, maybe to accelerate the gastric emptying...?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'd like to know more myself. From what I know of bro weight lifting science fat generally slows digestion. I'm familiar with the idea of fat soluble compounds but I'm not sure how exactly that applies to kavalactones or aids their digestion...?

infraredz

BULA!
Well, I highly doubt that kava is absorbed through the gastric mucosa in the stomach, but instead, through the duodenum in the intestines where most nutrients and drugs are absorbed. I've read that eating can *accelerate* the gastric emptying (which is delayed by high fat substances if I remember correctly) so I think this is the main cause. I suspect this is why hot liquids have a similar effect.

I've noticed the past few days that it sometimes works, and sometimes has no effect. The foods have all been similar in Fat, Protein and Carbs so I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

I wonder if the sediment has anything to do with it (ie. Does drinking kava with large amounts of particulate matter make a difference)...

EDIT: The Vagus nerve is highly involved in the gastric emptying and I would imagine that it's possible that more "relaxing" kavas would have this potentiation type effect more than high Kavain "uplifting" types...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've definitely noticed that eating a small meal (usually hot and/or spicy) an hour or 2 after a few shells typically brings on an extra 'kava rush'...not always, but a lot of the time. I've always assumed that the food(or spiciness) stimulates my digestion and suddenly starts pushing slow digesting kava through faster. I don't know if that's true or not. ...eating too much (my usual size portions) either always makes me nauseous or extremely uncomortable.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Ditto, I have had that experience as well. Not lately though, I think I'm too patient now trying not to take away from the kava effect. Back when I first really felt the effects of kava I wasn't able to wait it out and would eat something while the kava was still taking effect then *woosh* strongest effect of the night in one moment.

violet

Do all things with love
I have found that I really enjoy eating after a kava session. Food flavors are enhanced, while some textures become off-putting (bananas or Hershey bars are just gross to me then). My evening kava sessions fits in quite well with preparing dinner and then eating with my family. Eating usually brings back or intensifies the effects for me also.

D

Deleted User01

You may be on to something. After you eat, you would expect to lose effects. But I don't lose effects. I couldn't say whether the effects are amplified after eating but there is no noticeable loss.

kavalover

Outsider
I've found eating after kava to be an art, you can't eat too much, you can't eat too little. Just the right amount. Kap'm up there mentioned pizza, which is awesome because that's exactly what I eat after 3 or 4 shells :D It's light, but greasy, and tends to make a few shells kick in with a fury, sometimes a little too much. In fact, I feel as if the only times I've ever experienced the full "punch" of a kava session was when introducing my stomach to food after a kava session.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I wonder if the grapefruit juice method works well with this. It potentiates many other substances, in particular pharmaceuticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.