What's new

First Time experiencing ISA Kava/ Tips

Transcent

Kava saved my life
I have a 1/2 pound of Root of Happiness papua new guinea Kava powder coming. Anyone with experience that could offer tips on preparation and portion/consumption?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Go in with an open heart and an open mind. Not only will you be fine, but you'll also enjoy it :)

Isa is "thin" and doesn't have that thick muddy texture. It has more of a biting piney flavor to it, and it tends to "creep" more than a Noble. Start with a little bit and work your way up.

Enjoy!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yep, try a couple of tablespoons to start off and judge from there how you feel at the time and the next day. It's a slightly different experience to noble kava but only because of the KL content. It's heavier and more body numbing. I find it more pleasant overall to add a tablespoon to my regular grog for an extra effect. On it's own it's a less rounded experience in my opinion.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I found the RoH PNG to a real creeper. It came on very slowly versus a noble kava so take it slow and give more time between shells then you would a noble. It tends to lack that pleasant kavain rush that you get with nobles, and most people are looking for. Effects were a very stoney feel, but not unpleasant. Taste was piney but not god awful. I had some stomach issues the next day after the first time I took it, but nothing after that on future shells - so it may or may not have been related to the kava. It did however kick my normal low grade dermo (i.e. general dry hands, eyes, and torso) into full blown dermo (shedding skin like a snowstorm)after just one night of 4-6TBS.
After a few nights of just this kava I finished the remaining 1/2 lb by mixing a bit in with my noble kavas.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I found the RoH PNG to a real creeper. It came on very slowly versus a noble kava so take it slow and give more time between shells then you would a noble. It tends to lack that pleasant kavain rush that you get with nobles, and most people are looking for. Effects were a very stoney feel, but not unpleasant. Taste was piney but not god awful. I had some stomach issues the next day after the first time I took it, but nothing after that on future shells - so it may or may not have been related to the kava. It did however kick my normal low grade dermo (i.e. general dry hands, eyes, and torso) into full blown dermo (shedding skin like a snowstorm)after just one night of 4-6TBS.
After a few nights of just this kava I finished the remaining 1/2 lb by mixing a bit in with my noble kavas.
I've not noticed any extra dermo but I no longer get dermo anyway. I think it's better blended with something else.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
My personal tip is to not drink it daily. I went that route and ended up wondering why my skin was so desperately trying to leave.
I think in your case the micronised didn't help though? I wouldn't recommend drinking Isa daily anyway. You'd get quite sluggish quite quickly that way.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I think in your case the micronised didn't help though? I wouldn't recommend drinking Isa daily anyway. You'd get quite sluggish quite quickly that way.
No the micronized definitely didn't help. It also didn't help that what I was consuming was tested at being pretty much wild kava. I believe it would probably take a good bit longer with medium grind to reach the level I was at. I always suggest caution less anyone find out the hard way like I did.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've not noticed any extra dermo but I no longer get dermo anyway. I think it's better blended with something else.
I think it is better blended as well since it lacks what I would typically look for in a kava experience. I tend to like to front load my kava, and get a nice hit of kavain up front and have me smiling away the days worries. Then maintain with a few shells, and slowly come down to a relaxed calm to go to bed. On its own this kava could not do this for me. Of course YMMV.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm glad we can have a sensible discussion about Isa without it being trashed. Thanks @Kapmcrunk , I think you've helped usher in a more reasonable and calm period for the kavaforums.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
This is all very useful information, guys. I was thinking of trying out RoH's PNG kava. I was definitely thinking of blending it with other kavas like what @Edward does.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm glad we can have a sensible discussion about Isa without it being trashed. Thanks @Kapmcrunk , I think you've helped usher in a more reasonable and calm period for the kavaforums.
The way I see it is that as long as it exists we need not block discussion on the topic. I'll always suggest noble kava when it's available for those who are looking for a daily drinking kava. I do understand that some people use it medicinally, and who are we to tell them they're wrong? I also do think we should extend a cautious attitude when suggesting its use, but that's actually happening now. Respect the plant and it will respect us in-turn :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Transcent I am interested if you tried the Isa yet and if you did what was your experience with Isa. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
I know you asked the OP that question but in case you're interested I've tried the PNG Isa and also a Hawaiian Isa and I've found both to be strong, relaxing and sedative as you might expect. Knowing that it was Isa I've always taken it very slow and steady and never had more than a few tablespoons. I've never had a next day effect stronger than that of a strong noble, heavy kava.

@Kapmcrunk I'd always say that use of these kavas sparingly is advised but I can see a definite need for them. No doubt as people mention there are some of these kavas that will make you ill if you drink too much but with moderation and an understanding of their properties which comes from open discussions like this then we're minimising that risk greatly. It's clear that this PNG Isa when drunk in moderation will not make you sick and can be used or enjoyed depending on your need appropriately. Not an every day drinking kava but has it's uses.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
By "these kavas" you mean different brands of isa or different tudeis? If the latter then your assessment might change if you ever try any of the worse tudeis. I might still have some of that tudei that sent my mate to a hospital. While isa might be relatively benign when consumed in moderation and in a traditional form, some tudeis clearly arent, as experienced by yours truly.
It's clear that not all tudeis are equal but it's also clear that some are quite drinkable without giving the same effects you experienced. I hope I never come across one quite like what you describe. I don't think that just because that kava made you and your friends that ill that all tudei is inherently bad?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
It's clear that not all tudeis are equal but it's also clear that some are quite drinkable without giving the same effects you experienced. I hope I never come across one quite like what you describe. I don't think that just because that kava made you and your friends that ill that all tudei is inherently bad?
How many isa and tudei varieties have been documented? I see a lot less mention of varieties of these, just the umbrella categories. You mentioned a PNG variety of isa and a Hawaiian isa. Are the other isas? What about tudeis? Wouldn't mind some literature.

Transcent

Kava saved my life
@Transcent I am interested if you tried the Isa yet and if you did what was your experience with Isa. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
I did end up trying it, cautiously lol The first thing I'll remark on is the smell. It has the aroma of soil that is very rich in minerals. Like miracle grow. And, I've never brewed a cup of miracle grow but It tast like I imagine miracle grow would tast like Ha Ha. Its kinda hard to describe the feeling. Its more of a deep relaxing feeling in your mind and body, but aslo subtle. I felt it in my eyes even, and I felt a slight mental numbing effect come over as time passed. I felt it the next morning, but I wasn't sick or anything. I like it, but I'll have to try it more to get a solid opinion