What's new

First time to try Kava

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am new here, just found this forum today. I have known about Kava for a while now, but have never tried it before and just decided that I want to. I normally drink a few beers in the evening to relax, as I have a job that can be quite demanding and stressful and sometimes it's hard to wind down and get some good sleep. The problem is that after a few years of this, I am starting to gain weight and so I'm looking for a way to relax that doesn't make me fat, :shameshame:.

Anyway, I did a little Kava research earlier today and was too anxious to order up a batch to try. So after doing some more research later today, I think maybe I made a mistake. I decided to try the Vanuatu3 from Kavabyrex, based on a review that I after realized that was written in 2012... and then I found some not so positive reviews here, including things like 'It's sawdust'... wow, did I just royally screw up my first chance to experience Kava? I'd like to at least get a decent first experience, so can someone help me out here with some advice? Thanks!

infraredz

BULA!
Welcome!

Yeah, from everything I've read/heard, that kava has been pure rubbish lately. Check out our vendors and their reviews for the best kava to suit your needs, and don't forget to check out our Wiki, FAQ, and such.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Welcome Hyperion!!!

My own personal recommendation, is that Kapm (the owner of this site) works hard to make sure only quality vendors have "vendor" status on this site. So if you go to the vendor section, you will find a bunch of quality vendors there. Each has there own review section to see what others like (or dislike) about their products.

Hope that helps.

Another resource that may help you out is The Kavapedia, which has some pertinent information that you may find useful.

Best Regards
HeadHodge
Hello.gif

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome!

Yeah, from everything I've read/heard, that kava has been pure rubbish lately. Check out our vendors and their reviews for the best kava to suit your needs, and don't forget to check out our Wiki, FAQ, and such.
Thanks.

That's where I started, reading the threads here and looking at the approved sellers list. It sounded like this guy is a solid vendor... So, is there anything you would recommend for a beginner?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks.

That's where I started, reading the threads here and looking at the approved sellers list. It sounded like this guy is a solid vendor... So, is there anything you would recommend for a beginner?
Again my personal recommendation.... When I first started Kava, I thought the best thing I did was to get a couple of good extracts and some Instant Kava. This will make it easy for you to get started, without having to learn all that's needed to knead and squeeze Kava powder and such.

Shantu

Kava Curious
Welcome Hyperion,
A fellow newbie here. While I honestly have no knowledge of their kava, and little about kava in general, I'd say that if you can't withdraw the order or return it, try to stick with it for now. If nothing else, it might be good for lowering your tolerance while also getting used to the taste and preparation. Or you could mix a bit of it each time with the kava you order from one of the approved vendors here so that it doesn't go to waste completely.

It's somewhat troubling I think that so many kava newcomers fall into the trap of ordering from the wrong vendor or buying the wrong product. I bet it disheartens many that would otherwise need the benefits the root can provide. :(

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Oh forgot to say.....

If you look at all the great Kava Recipes here, a lot of them use Instant for their ingredient. Using those recipes may help get you going in the right direction.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....It's somewhat troubling I think that so many kava newcomers fall into the trap of ordering from the wrong vendor or buying the wrong product.....
Yea, maybe we could get Kapam to make two banners for Vendors. One that says "Vendor" and another "Approved Vendor", or maybe "Quality Vendor", just to help out in that area.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome Hyperion!!!

My own personal recommendation, is that Kapm (the owner of this site) works hard to make sure only quality vendors have "vendor" status on this site. So if you go to the vendor section, you will find a bunch of quality vendors there. Each has there own review section to see what others like (or dislike) about their products.

Hope that helps.

Another resource that may help you out is The Kavapedia, which has some pertinent information that you may find useful.

Best Regards
HeadHodge
View attachment 530
Hi HeadHodge,

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. I just emailed the vendor and expressed my concerns, so will see what happens. I just don't want to start out with a bad experience, I am too excited about trying Kava, and would be a bummer if I have to try a product that is subpar.

Hyperion

infraredz

BULA!
@infraredz I've just seen that Kava by Rex sells Vanuatu Tudei kavas! Wtf? I thought it was illegal to export them from Vanuatu?
Yep, it sure is illegal. Though like I was telling violet, there is a tremendous amount of tudei kava being exported, whether to be sold as tudei or to "spike" other kava to make it just a tad more potent. While it is illegal, the enforcement just isn't there.

Therefore, we as consumers should be requesting that our vendors provide the Certificate of Analysis (which lists chemotype, total kavalactone content, tudei vs noble, etc). If our vendors can't provide them, that means their wholesalers aren't going through the proper channels, and if enough pressure is made, the vendors will have to buy from the few wholesalers who are on the up and up.

Lebot had this to say about the subject (a couple months ago, same thing though)
"Anyway, to make this story short, tudei varieties are illegal in Vanuatu. So this fellow is basically advocating something illegal. I don't know what else I can say. Please send him the Kava Act, here attached."

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Yep, it sure is illegal. Though like I was telling violet, there is a tremendous amount of tudei kava being exported, whether to be sold as tudei or to "spike" other kava to make it just a tad more potent. While it is illegal, the enforcement just isn't there.

Therefore, we as consumers should be requesting that our vendors provide the Certificate of Analysis (which lists chemotype, total kavalactone content, tudei vs noble, etc). If our vendors can't provide them, that means their wholesalers aren't going through the proper channels, and if enough pressure is made, the vendors will have to buy from the few wholesalers who are on the up and up.

Lebot had this to say about the subject (a couple months ago, same thing though)
"Anyway, to make this story short, tudei varieties are illegal in Vanuatu. So this fellow is basically advocating something illegal. I don't know what else I can say. Please send him the Kava Act, here attached."
I read that thread also, at least part of it.

It sounds like the cat is out of the bag and cannot be put back in. I mean, what is it really that they can do if some cuttings of this strain have already been cultivated in other parts of the world? Sort of reminds me how there was a ban and it was a crime to export tobacco seed to the new world, back in the 1500s. That didn't last long.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Can someone point me to the list of approved vendors here, because I thought that Kava by Rex, was one of the approved vendors?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Can someone point me to the list of approved vendors here, because I thought that Kava by Rex, was one of the approved vendors?
I don't believe we have a list. Here is a list of the vendors who post on the forums off the top of my head:
- Bula Kava House
- Paradise Kava
- Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
- Noble Kava
- Global Kava Exports
- Ozia Kava Candy
- Kalm with Kava
- ? Hope I didn't forget anybody

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Wow, I think that would be a great banner for vendors here, one that says "Certified Vendor" (if they are one).
Not meaning to get too off topic here.....
But the more I think about it the more I think "Certified Vendor" is a really good idea. You don't become one just because someone likes the vendor or not (too subjective). It would just simply mean "This vendor provides valid certificates of testing for their products". That would really go a long way to aid the consumer and put a little pressure on the Vendor to step up to the plate.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome Hyperion,
A fellow newbie here. While I honestly have no knowledge of their kava, and little about kava in general, I'd say that if you can't withdraw the order or return it, try to stick with it for now. If nothing else, it might be good for lowering your tolerance while also getting used to the taste and preparation. Or you could mix a bit of it each time with the kava you order from one of the approved vendors here so that it doesn't go to waste completely.

It's somewhat troubling I think that so many kava newcomers fall into the trap of ordering from the wrong vendor or buying the wrong product. I bet it disheartens many that would otherwise need the benefits the root can provide. :(
Hi Shantu,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not one who is quick to be disheartened, but I would like to get a good feel for what is 'Kava', because I don't have any idea. I just know that I need something to sometimes trim off that edginess that comes with a high paced life in this modern world. Alcohol really is crap when it comes down to it. There has to be something better. And any type of prescription anti-anxiety poison is not going into me.

So, anyway, is there any Kava you would recommend? BTW, I emailed the vendor and expressed my concern, so hopefully, the guy will do right by me.

Kristy

Kava Curious
Gourmet Hawaiian kava is excellent. So is bula kava house. I'm new to kava also and I'm really into the micronized by Chris at Gourmet Hawaiian kava. :)
Although I've yet to try from the other venders yet .
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I don't believe we have a list. Here is a list of the vendors who post on the forums off the top of my head:
- Bula Kava House
- Paradise Kava
- Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
- Noble Kava
- Global Kava Exports
- Ozia Kava Candy
- Kalm with Kava
- ? Hope I didn't forget anybody
Thanks, kavadude, will check those out. In the meantime, I will post here about my experience in contacting the vanuatu3 vendor, when/if I hear back.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Gourmet Hawaiian kava is excellent. So is bula kava house. I'm new to kava also and I'm really into the micronized by Chris at Gourmet Hawaiian kava. :)
Although I've yet to try from the other venders yet .
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Thanks, Kristy, much appreciated. Maybe my 2nd order won't be so stressful, (y)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Rex was well liked on the old forums but he had a really killer batch of Van3 that I don't think he ever managed to top. As far as the quality of his service I don't think I've heard any complaints.