What's new

First time to try Kava

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Rex was well liked on the old forums but he had a really killer batch of Van3 that I don't think he ever managed to top. As far as the quality of his service I don't think I've heard any complaints.
Well, there's always the legendary this or that, or whatever, and that's not what I'm looking for (although, who wouldn't like), I just want a decent product to start with, and saw dust, as some here have described it as, isn't exactly decent sounding (n)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Well, there's always the legendary this or that, or whatever, and that's not what I'm looking for (although, who wouldn't like), I just want a decent product to start with, and saw dust, as some here have described it as, isn't exactly decent sounding (n)
It might not be too bad for ya, considering the likelihood of reverse tolerance anyway...even if you get a weak batch of Van3, you can just use more root per session if you need to. You might wanna add some of his fiji waka to your order (if it's in stock), to get a feel for another type of kava.

Alien

Kava Newbie
As some others have said, be prepared for a RT phase where you don't get much of any effect from kava if it all. It's just part of paying your dues and if experienced you should not be discouraged by it because it is normal. Took me a good few days of trying kava before I broke through and really felt its effects. Very few people don't have to go through this phase while those who do have to do it for varying amounts of time.

violet

Do all things with love
Not meaning to get too off topic here.....
But the more I think about it the more I think "Certified Vendor" is a really good idea. You don't become one just because someone likes the vendor or not (too subjective). It would just simply mean "This vendor provides valid certificates of testing for their products". That would really go a long way to aid the consumer and put a little pressure on the Vendor to step up to the plate.
I think this is something the American Kava Association would be able to help get accomplished in a big way.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think this is something the American Kava Association would be able to help get accomplished in a big way.
You bet, but this site could establish a standard for vendor approval by letting all acceptable vendors be here but maybe have different levels of rating. i.e. one vendor could have the label called simply "Vendor" and another one called "Certified Vendor" where they met a higher criteria as defined by the site. It wouldn't punish or shun a vendor who is not "certified" but it would entice them to "upgrade" to the preferred rating, knowing that it would give them preferential treatment (i.e. more sales), because newbies will gravitate towards the "super vendor" as defined by us and it would give us the power to entice better vendor quality. So I think we can do a lot ourselves without relying on the AKA. I see the big benefit of the AKA as helping define standards. But I think it's up to us to try and apply them. (whew my fingers hurt, but I'm passionate at the moment). :)

infraredz

BULA!
Yep!

They do have a "Retail Membership" which includes:
  • Place the AKA seal on your products, website, and other materials to let buyers know that you are a member in good standing with the AKA and adhere by the highest standards in the Kava industry.
  • Participate in the formation or modification of the AKA bylaws.
  • Participate in any action or activity that the Association takes.
  • Benefit from the subsidized pricing on analytical testing and COA.
  • Host your test results on the site so that customers can verify your products’ potency and purity.
  • Benefit from the business you gain from AKA Consumer Members.
So they would have access to much cheaper testing than it would be normally, though getting it tested in Vanuatu is apparently incredibly cost effective.

infraredz

BULA!
You bet, but this site could establish a standard for vendor approval by letting all acceptable vendors be here but maybe have different levels of rating. i.e. one vendor could have the label called simply "Vendor" and another one called "Certified Vendor" where they met a higher criteria as defined by the site. It wouldn't punish or shun a vendor who is not "certified" but it would entice them to "upgrade" to the preferred rating, knowing that it would give them preferential treatment (i.e. more sales), because newbies will gravitate towards the "super vendor" as defined by us and it would give us the power to entice better vendor quality. So I think we can do a lot ourselves without relying on the AKA. I see the big benefit of the AKA as helping define standards. But I think it's up to us to try and apply them. (whew my fingers hurt, but I'm passionate at the moment). :)
I definitely would be on board with something like that! That sounds like an awesome idea.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
  • Place the AKA seal on your products, website, and other materials to let buyers know that you are a member in good standing with the AKA and adhere by the highest standards in the Kava industry.
You freak me out. You can reply to my posts even before I send them!!!

this is what I'm talking about. If the vendor demonstrates something like the highlighted above they get bumped to "Super Vendor"

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
To further elaborate: So then a vendor is coaxed into believing: "I'm just a regular joe vendor here, BUT I could get more action if I was rated a "Super Vendor"!!

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Poor Hyperion... Look at what he started. (actually impressive for a newbie).
Well, I'm just happy to see that this is an active forum, and I really appreciate the quick replies to my question. I emailed the vendor asking to substitute my order for something 'stronger', if possible, but haven't been replied to yet. I received a ship notice from USPS but it doesn't appear that it has actually shipped yet, so maybe I will still get an answer.

I guess the next thing, after this arrives, is preparation, which from what I've read so far seems to be quite involved. I'm really anxious to give Kava a try.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Well, I'm just happy to see that this is an active forum, and I really appreciate the quick replies to my question. I emailed the vendor asking to substitute my order for something 'stronger', if possible, but haven't been replied to yet. I received a ship notice from USPS but it doesn't appear that it has actually shipped yet, so maybe I will still get an answer.

I guess the next thing, after this arrives, is preparation, which from what I've read so far seems to be quite involved. I'm really anxious to give Kava a try.
The best advice I would give right now would be to not give up on Kava based on your first root experience. If you do fall into the reverse tolerance zone, yes, you may get some effects eventually, however subtle, from it but it is nothing compared to when you break through the RT on some good root. It took me probably a few months to start to become familiar enough with the strains to know which kind worked best for me (I prefer the mental relaxtion, anti-anxiety kind vs. the body/muscle relaxation). Also, it took time to figure out which vendor and variety was most effective as far as price/quantity/experience goes.

It may seem overwhelming at first but trust me, once you become familiar with kava you will find yourself living better and learning more so things like this aren't as overwhelming. Also, no hangovers! If anything, you may feel the beneficiary effects of kava the next day or so.

Hang in there @Hyperion if you are patient and respect the Kava the Kava will return the favor 10-fold. And welcome!

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Also, if i can quickly follow this up. If you got the root powder, please for your own sake, take a few minutes to research the traditional soak, knead and strain method for preparing kava. Straining being the most important part.

Starting out, i tried taking shortcuts by just blending in a few tablespoons of powder into a shake type thing and chugging it and let's just say my stomach revolted on me and it took me a while to try it again. good luck!

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
The best advice I would give right now would be to not give up on Kava based on your first root experience. If you do fall into the reverse tolerance zone, yes, you may get some effects eventually, however subtle, from it but it is nothing compared to when you break through the RT on some good root. It took me probably a few months to start to become familiar enough with the strains to know which kind worked best for me (I prefer the mental relaxtion, anti-anxiety kind vs. the body/muscle relaxation). Also, it took time to figure out which vendor and variety was most effective as far as price/quantity/experience goes.

It may seem overwhelming at first but trust me, once you become familiar with kava you will find yourself living better and learning more so things like this aren't as overwhelming. Also, no hangovers! If anything, you may feel the beneficiary effects of kava the next day or so.

Hang in there @Hyperion if you are patient and respect the Kava the Kava will return the favor 10-fold. And welcome!
Hi TidyMinion,

(I prefer the mental relaxtion, anti-anxiety kind vs. the body/muscle relaxation)

I'm guessing that's what I would prefer also.

Also, no hangovers! If anything, you may feel the beneficiary effects of kava the next day or so.

That sounds wonderful. I occasionally overindulge in alcohol and the result is almost always feeling terrible or at least not so great the next day. I really would like to get totally away from the stuff, it's just that I get so hyped up and stressed out from work sometimes that I really need something to just take the edge off.

I hope that Kava is a good option for me. But hey, the way I go into anything at this stage in my life, is that I go in not expecting anything so that when the experience is good, then I appreciate it more. That's the same way I am looking at Kava, I don't expect anything so I will just be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be a good experience for me. I know there are a lot of people who find it very beneficial and that's what inspired me to give it a try.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Starting out, i tried taking shortcuts by just blending in a few tablespoons of powder into a shake type thing and chugging it and let's just say my stomach revolted on me and it took me a while to try it again. good luck!
Thanks for the advice. The prep is something I've already been thinking about as it sounds like it requires some work and patience . I suppose, like most Americans, I want everything to be easy and now, but I'm going to try to do this right.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Others may suggest, next time, you try the Micronized or Instant powder from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava for the quick fix. I hear it's an excellent product and might be comparable in price to root powder (although you pay more up front, you use less per session). Although, it may not be worth the $$ until you break through RT, if you experience that...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello! Welcome to the forums. It looks like everything I could type would be a reiteration of what's already been said.

On that note, our vendors are verified by members to have quality kava products. Some (vanuatu3 for example) have a less than stellar reputation for strength, however you'd be hard pressed to find anything else on our "menu" that was less than anything we would consume ourselves (aside from tuday, or isa strain kava).

Concerning certified vendors, we most certainly will be classifying vendors as certified when the American Kava Association starts to roll out with COAs.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Hello! Welcome to the forums. It looks like everything I could type would be a reiteration of what's already been said.

On that note, our vendors are verified by members to have quality kava products. Some (vanuatu3 for example) have a less than stellar reputation for strength, however you'd be hard pressed to find anything else on our "menu" that was less than anything we would consume ourselves (aside from tuday, or isa strain kava).

Concerning certified vendors, we most certainly will be classifying vendors as certified when the American Kava Association starts to roll out with COAs.
Hi Kapmcrunk,

Thanks for the welcome. Awesome posting name and image!

D

Deleted User01

Welcome Hyperion. Why not just order the sampler from BHK or the Gift Pack from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. The one from GHK has 3 types of Kava and each Kava has a different effect. It gives you a real good chance to test a little bit of everything and find out what suits you. By the say, your story about drinking a few beers after work, that was my story for 40 years. And sometimes it is more than a few beers. The weekends were wrought with Binge Drinking (like if I was 18 again). Kava has tapered my drinking. I still like my alcohol but I have Kava days and I have beer days and I try to do both in moderation. Here's good rule, Kava on the workday so you can sleep good. Beer and BBQ on the weekends.