What's new

I Love Kava Friday Friday.

verticity

I'm interested in things
While I've never seen a kava plant in person, besides the cuttings I tried to grow back in the nineties, from what I've seen in pictures they look like they can get pretty big...

It'd be expensive grow them in greenhouses unfortunately. Bummer.
That might work if you could divert the entire water supply of LA to your green house lol

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
While I've never seen a kava plant in person, besides the cuttings I tried to grow back in the nineties, from what I've seen in pictures they look like they can get pretty big...

It'd be expensive grow them in greenhouses unfortunately. Bummer.
I was reading about these recently: http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html

I think kava plants are tougher than we give them credit for, as long as you can keep it from going below 40 during winter they could do well in Florida/Texas

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
American grown kava? Interesting.

Would it be analgous to fine, hand-rolled cigars made from American-grown
tobacco. Ick. (not counting Connecticut shade wrappers, yum!) Carribean grown cigar tobacco
is the best. South Pacific grown kava is the best too, correct? (Hawaii is close enough).

My point being, it's largely about the soil (and climate too to a degree [no pun intended])

Jerome

Kava Lover
@VictoryRider But cuban seeds were taken to Nicaragua and I've had Nicaraguan cigars, they're lovely.

There was a lot of VERY cheap land around volcanoes in Nicaragua, and even cheaper in the low areas near the southern border. I bet Kava would do well there. Its tropical, volcanic soil.

Jerome

Kava Lover
And where I live in Florida it almost never gets below 40 degrees. We have consistent, salty breezes, but REALLY crappy soil.

But if you made the right growing medium, nicely draining, well composted, using seaweed which is obviously readily available, you might be able to "artificially" produce soil of a caliber good enough to grow potent kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Pacific island kava is the best, cuz that's where it started. But, outside of respect for tradition, if kava was as popular as marijuana and we could grow it in the states, the plant would become a kavalactone producing beast. Just like what was done with the old natural dirt weed. Vanuatu is actually farther from Hawai'i than California is:
- 3,521 mi from Vanuatu to Hawai'i
- 2,467 mi from Hawai'i to California
Of course, they still have fairly similar climates/soils despite the distance. Had the Polynesians eventually made it to the mainland US and figured out how to keep kava alive, then we'd consider that kava to be just as good/legit as stuff from the islands.

Last edited:

Jerome

Kava Lover
Pacific island kava is the best, cuz that's where it started. But, outside of respect for tradition, if kava was as popular as marijuana and we could grow it in the states, the plant would become a kavalactone producing beast. Just like what was done with the old natural dirt weed. Vanuatu is actually farther from Hawai'i than California is too
- 3,521 mi from Vanuatu to Hawai'i
- 2,467 mi from Hawai'i to California
Of course, they still have fairly similar climates/soils despite the distance. Had the Polynesians eventually made it to the mainland US and figured out how to keep kava alive, then we'd consider that kava to be just as good/legit as stuff from the islands.
What about grafting Cannabis onto a moi root stock?

50ShadesOfKava

Official Kava Muppet
I've contemplated the greenhouse method myself, but with a several year maturity rate, the turnaround time doesn't seem to be practical. Being as most inexpensive greenhouse material has to be replaced every 1-5 years, I find it hard from an economics point of view. That's not to say that the right soil conditions couldn't be created / maintained in similar temperature zones. I'd need to know more about propagation too. Im afraid Im too northern for it to be practical, though I might grow one in a pot... for science, aesthetics and peace of mind, provided I don't start gnawing on it periodically.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Eww... I just realized I'm steering the "fun-Friday" post into boring, guilt ridden, half-assed history! Sorry, back to the fantasy kava farm!!

I had too much coffee this afternoon.