What's new

full spectrum extract from meridian botanicals

thewanderingwise1

Kava Curious
its 12 bucks for an oz.but it doesn't list the strain or how it was grown.or noble or tudei.mrbinx and others have vouched for these guys in the past though.please recomend other sites for herbs and ethnos and give any info on this site you have thanks.and if someone could tag mr binx id love to hear from him on this and dont kno how to tag him

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I emailed him . When we talked in the past. I was the first to tell him most of the info about kava we take for granted knowing here. That was months ago and I'm not sure if he really delved into it or really didnt end up caring to much. For all other herbs I recommend him. But with kava it's tough . Well have to wait tI'll he responds because even mountain rose herbs had some tuedi laced kava . It seems in the herbalism world kava is well known but no body knows the actual info

thewanderingwise1

Kava Curious
Awesome man thank you.lookin forward to hearing what he has to say, also to putting my first order with them in.my cart with them is very excitingUOTE="Mrbinx69, post: 100974, member: 1890"]I emailed him . When we talked in the past. I was the first to tell him most of the info about kava we take for granted knowing here. That was months ago and I'm not sure if he really delved into it or really didnt end up caring to much. For all other herbs I recommend him. But with kava it's tough . Well have to wait tI'll he responds because even mountain rose herbs had some tuedi laced kava . It seems in the herbalism world kava is well known but no body knows the actual info[/QUOTE]
Aw

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
It's kind of discouriging .

"Sorry I do not have that information on hand, however the extract is indeed a combined water and alcohol extract. I doubt noble kava is used for extracts unless it is custom made."

thewanderingwise1

Kava Curious
It's kind of discouriging .

"Sorry I do not have that information on hand, however the extract is indeed a combined water and alcohol extract. I doubt noble kava is used for extracts unless it is custom made."
id say very discouraging , not only about the kava exttract either.if he knew that little about one of his products that kind of makes me a bit less excited to order the mass amount of other ones i was excited about ordering.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Once again koda as almost every herbalist ive seen or talked to knows little about kava.
Don't assume he doesn't know what he's talking about with the other stuff just because of kava.

Even the herbmentor programs herbal pedia on kava is just terrible.

I highly recomend still ordering from koda just not kava stuff lol

thewanderingwise1

Kava Curious
Good enough for me .maybe someone suggest him pulling the kava extract though.but im happy , ill put that order in very soon with him.maybe someone suggest he become a member of the forums ::tpbricky::

K

Koda

Hello all, funny to stumble on this discussion on google this morning, especially after speaking to a member here earlier in the day yesterday about this very product.

First, let me give a little back story on myself, I am a student of pharmacology and a lover of all things natural and have been this way for most of my adult life. I respect nature and think that the medicine that grows from the earth is of the highest caliber, and in most cases it is superior as a fresh or dried plant to an extract and especially a synthetic. I do think there come times and places for extracts, such as when attempting to elicit a specific effect or goal, purifying one compound out of a plant for instance can open up new possibilities for medicine and otherwise.

But the facts of the matter remain the same, the indigenous tribes and native cultures found throughout the world are far, far ahead of us when it comes to the safety and utility of a potential medicine, namely the thousands of years of collective experience working with the plants, this is something that even modern day drugs cannot compete with, most only having data that supports the safety of these compounds for the duration of a few months or years. When it comes to kava and other herbs, we have generations upon generations of experiences to look upon for data.

There are other benefits too when it comes to these plants, such as biosynthetic metabolites (the whole kavalactone family as opposed to a single isolated kavalacone is one example), the chemical makeup which is more attuned to a human's biochemistry, and there is always the simple fact that you are supporting a native way of life by working with the herbs when they are as little processed as possible.

Forgive me for the tangent, but I felt it was needed to give a little history of myself and my perspective on plant medicine. I am 100% behind traditional, native, and time tested traditions.

That being said, let me expand upon the kava extract that this topic is about. The extract is not known whether it is noble or not. We purchase our extracts from large manufacturers at this time. We do realize that extracts are inferior, generally in 99% of cases this is true. Perhaps if they were made better, such as small batch hand crafted extracts from noble kava and certified organic herbs, we would not have this issue. Maybe even some spagyric extractions could be had, fermenting, distilling, extracting, and burning/extracting the ashes to create a final product true to the herbs identity could be something nice. However this sort of work requires space and time, not to mention a facility that meets certain FDA regulations. We are unfortunately not at the point yet to begin making our extracts, however I do personally have much experience with plant chemistry, and do intend to do so at some point. Until then however, we are purchasing extracts from larger companies, and even then, only some are making the cut.

I will indeed ask my supplier about this specific kava extract, but I cannot promise anything and would suggest just assuming this comes from generic kava. I know this is not satisfying to hear, but the extract is here more so for the people who do not like drinking kava. It is the same with the other extracts in our shop, such as rhodiola rosea. The extract we have is quite potent, but it seems to be missing some of the dimension that rhodiola rosea root does. On the other hand, the extract does not cause nausea in high doses like the actual root does, so there is indeed a place for it, even if it is inferior to the whole herb. My goal is to help people help themselves. If someone is withdrawing from xanax, the most important thing to them is relief. But if one would rather enjoy some Borugu Kava that shows up yellow in the acetone test and comes from Vanuatu, we have that too (actually will in 2-3 days).

I hope this clears things up, and I am more than happy to contribute to the forum too, I just need to know what the rules are concerning vendors. I could literally talk about botanicals and pharmacology all day.

Cody

Kava Curious
I cannot attest to their kava but I heard about Meridian Botanicals form this forum and their rhodiola rosea is outstanding

K

Koda

Thanks Cody, rhodiola rosea is one of my favorite herbs! I find it to be like a yang version to the yin that is kava, favoring harsh cold conditions and expressing itself as a stimulant/stress relieving adaptogen while kava prefers warmer climates and provides a more relaxed and easy-going demeanor. I see much in common through the differences of these two herbs in particular.

I have recently contacted my supplier about our kava extract, and it is extracted with alcohol and water from lateral roots which are sourced from Vanuatu. The color is bright bright yellow, indicating a favorable kavalactone content (tudei kavalactones are more brown, are they not?).

We also have our Borugu cultivar of Vanuatu sourced kava back in stock as well. This was tested by a member of the kava community, and was given a possible tudei adulterant status, however when performing the Lebot test myself with the plant matter the liquid was quite a translucent yellow, once the ultra fine particles of kava were filtered out of the glass anyways.

K

Koda

Is DHM the kavalactone to avoid? I am curious why one specific kavalactone is avoided, is it actually toxic, or is it just liver heavy, inhibiting some cyp pathways? If it is the latter*, the compound should not even be toxic until certain doses are met or toxins are consumed co-current with kava, kind of like how MAOIs work. But I do admit this is not a subject I have explored all that much, aside from a brief introduction to the individual activity of the individual kavalactones.

Test results as provided by mrbinx69:

code description vendor chemotype
B0101 Zach 1 0.00 243651
KL rel. % total %
1 Desmethoxyyangonin 9.63 0.83
2 Dihydrokawain 26.04 2.26
3 Yangonin 15.98 1.38
4 Kawain 24.43 2.12
5 Dihydromethysticin 11.69 1.01
6 Methysticin 12.23 1.06
K/DHM: 2.09 100.00 8.66

qual: borderline​

Last edited by a moderator:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
No but there is a slight connection between tuedi strains and high dhm. The creation of kava was from piper wichmanni . Which contains very high DHM and low kavain... the creation of kava came from a gradual almost flipping of this. So tuedi is usually in the middle chemotype wise.

It's not an exact indication and is not the basis for the actual test . Just a side note that was noticed after a while that all these tuedi kavas have a less then 1 to 1 ratio of kavain to dhm .
We could try to ask Gary what exactly made him say it was borderline or possible laced with tuedi but I haven't heard from him in a sadly long time.

So no dhm is not toxic or anything like that and is not to be avoided.
I actually find my favorite chemo is 245. Which is dihydrokavain first. Kavain second and dhm third.

But if you were to ingest pure DHM you would fall asleep very very quickly and probrably be very neasuas much like opioids.

Here's a chart !

chem2.jpg
chem2.jpg
42227.jpeg