What's new

Have I done this right? What now?

Jay

Kava Curious
I used half a pint of water, 5 tbsps malekula magic. Tried the rolling pin baggy method. Didn't feel like much was happening so tried traditional method with a sock (lol)

15 mins later I have this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383425380.157708.jpg

Do I drink it all or split it? Or what?

Have I done anything wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

infraredz

BULA!
that's about the right ratio, although usually it's only 3-4 tbsps per cup (half-pint=1 cup).

Now, you just need to gulp it down.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
It looks good to me. Use the method that works best for you.

Jay

Kava Curious
Done...

I genuinely don't dislike the flavour. There is nothing bad about it.

Jay

Kava Curious
Well not feeling too strong an effect have made a second lot. My hand is aching lol

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, that happens. FWIW, although I'm not familiar with malekula magic, I will generally use around 8 tbsps of good kava. 4-5 tbsps of anything but really potent stuff (like nambawan) would be a threshold amount for me.

Jay

Kava Curious
I had my second amount, had a nice gentle mellowness about me. Decided to eat, that was enjoyable but I felt a bit grotty in my stomac after.
Went to bed, didn't take any sleeping tablets (I do most nights usually)
Had a nice sleep.... Although my dreams were a bit mental :- I rescued Sandra Bullock (who in my dreams was a close friend) from a crack den/human trafficking operation. Strange.

All in all, I feel I have learnt more about kava. Will give it another try tonight, although I don't think I should keep using a sock lol, I need something a bit better.

kavalover

Outsider
An alternative to your sock is pantyhose, which comes extremely cheap and is a great straining device. Very similar to what I use, which is a Fijian strainer you can find online from multiple vendors. The point is to strain the big chunks of root out, but you want a fair amount of "grit" in there, that contains our beloved kavalactones. I found that using a sock or T shirt didn't produce the most desirable results as a lot of the good stuff was being strained out, leaving a less potent grog. Same with muslin bags in my experience.

Happy krunking dude! Part of the fun is seeing just what works for you.

edit: Oh and, a good thing about pantyhose is that you can double, triple, or quad layer it based on the grind of your kava and how "thick" you want your kava to be.

Last edited:

Jay

Kava Curious
Thanks, I'll see if I can use the mrs. Might even let her try some.

Jay

Kava Curious
Right.... Night no. 2 lol

Used tights ( pantyhose) and have gave it a good 15 minute kneading. Squeezed pretty toughly. Have ended up with a shinier, slightly different coloured liquid. Stronger perhaps??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383510992.659728.jpg

8tbsp - 1 pint water:

Jay

Kava Curious
Feels very subtle still. Mind awake, body kind of chilled but slightly unsettled. A 250g bag would be good for 3 mild/average sessions. That sound about normal?
Or maybe it's the old reverse tolerance thing and i will be affected more sooner.?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
ya...if you're only on night 2 and 8 tablespoons doesn't feel like much, it's probably the reverse tolerance you're gonna have to push through

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Kava Curious
Apparently I've been restless both nights while asleep. I have had mad dreams but don't feel like I was restless (is this a side) Mrs wants me to have a night off as it affected her sleep lol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, definitely reverse tolerance issues there with the 250g lasting you 3 times. 250 grams would give me 4 extremely strong kava sessions with some left over. Keep at it. It's true that the more you use at the start the less you need later on.

That kava in picture #2 looks potent, so it looks like you're doing things correctly. If it could pass for something you can paint your walls with, well....you're usually doing it right.

Jay

Kava Curious
Would the fact that I have drunk a lot of alcohol for years be the cause of the RT

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I don't 100% know about the alcohol causing the RT issues, but I highly doubt it. Kavalactones take a while to build up in your system, hence when newcomers try kava the first few times they may be left feeling ripped off.
Once you're threw....ohhhhh you'll know it.

The reverse tolerance effect can also be why many of us experience continued anti-anxiety effects several days after our kava. The active lactones stick around for quite a while.

Reactions: Jay

Nihilist

Kava Enthusiast
When I started I was using half to whole cups of powder and not feeling much.
2 heaping tablespoons can make me feel pretty good now. It seemed like it took a couple of kg bags to get through all the way.

Jay

Kava Curious
When I started I was using half to whole cups of powder and not feeling much.
2 heaping tablespoons can make me feel pretty good now. It seemed like it took a couple of kg bags to get through all the way.
Well, used the rest of my 250g bag yesterday. My hands and upper lip are pretty dry. Had a nice sleep (something I been struggling with recently) still , effects are c subtle and I even started out with some instant kava couple hours before.

Can tell u something, instant kava, instantly killed my stress. Had a bit of a heated argument with the mrs....
Decided to just walk away, little cup of instant .... Like a new man. Shame she won't try it.