What's new

Hello Kava Forums!

Roberta Kavalli

Kavanista in Training
I've been educating myself for a few days now in the forums (lurking...I love that word) and decided to sign up. I'm not much of a "joiner", but I love the energy here. You are all so generous and kind with your experiences and advice. Thank you so much! After reading so many of your posts I decided to place a few orders. I can already see myself getting very carried away collecting and enjoying all the different kavas from different vendors :) I'm looking to enter into a relationship with Kava for relaxation and meditation. I just recently broke up with my good friend Vino. He started to turn on me, and I had to let him go. I'll always remember the good times. Lol. I received my first order yesterday from Paradise Kava. I got the Borogu powder and very much enjoyed the kneading involved in the traditional preparation. I noticed that I was very mindful while handling the strainer bag. I felt at one with the plant that had made its way to my table. A real blessing. As far as reverse tolerance goes I can't say where I'm at. My first prep was 2.5 Tbsp: 2 cups water, and I definitely felt cuddled in relaxation and optimism. Muscle tension in neck and shoulder areas diminished as well. Thank you Kava :) First step on my kava journey extremely pleasant. I look forward to receiving my orders from KavaBoy and the GHK Mahakea micro and Hanakapi'ai medium grind. Thanks for reading and thanks again for sharing. Enjoy your day!

::aintthatnicez:: All the best,
RK

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've been educating myself for a few days now in the forums (lurking...I love that word) and decided to sign up. I'm not much of a "joiner", but I love the energy here. You are all so generous and kind with your experiences and advice. Thank you so much! After reading so many of your posts I decided to place a few orders. I can already see myself getting very carried away collecting and enjoying all the different kavas from different vendors :) I'm looking to enter into a relationship with Kava for relaxation and meditation. I just recently broke up with my good friend Vino. He started to turn on me, and I had to let him go. I'll always remember the good times. Lol. I received my first order yesterday from Paradise Kava. I got the Borogu powder and very much enjoyed the kneading involved in the traditional preparation. I noticed that I was very mindful while handling the strainer bag. I felt at one with the plant that had made its way to my table. A real blessing. As far as reverse tolerance goes I can't say where I'm at. My first prep was 2.5 Tbsp: 2 cups water, and I definitely felt cuddled in relaxation and optimism. Muscle tension in neck and shoulder areas diminished as well. Thank you Kava :) First step on my kava journey extremely pleasant. I look forward to receiving my orders from KavaBoy and the GHK Mahakea micro and Hanakapi'ai medium grind. Thanks for reading and thanks again for sharing. Enjoy your day!

::aintthatnicez:: All the best,
RK
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us :) Of course, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum @Roberta Kavalli! ::awesomesmiles:: From looking at all the kava your ordered, I think we can surmise one thing for sure: Party at your house!! :woot:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome @Roberta Kavalli !

I admire your determination! Sounds like you've already had somewhat of a kava experience right out of the gates, which is fantastic. Reverse Tolerance can be a discouraging experience for many and is a definitely downside and barrier of entry for a drink that kind of tastes like crap.

I agree about the mindfulness of traditional prep. It's always a time when I'm right in the present, doing one thing, with my full focus on it and my energy going into it until it's done.

Please keep us updated on how it's going for you. I love the vicarious thrill of reading someone else's discovery of the wonders of kava.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
@Steve Mariotti, Thank you for your warm welcome! I find your posts super informative and really entertaining. I will report back as soon as my next order comes in :) It should be the Kavaboy. It feels like kava xmas.
Excellent!

My posts may SOUND super informative, but I actually know just an iota about kava compared to many many of our forum members who have been at this much longer and have a much deeper and broader understanding of kava, polynesian cultural traditions and the scientific and pharmacological information on the lovely stuff. I just write from my experience and try to be as honest as I can about what's going on with me, personally. Cheers for that! Made my day.

Roberta Kavalli

Kavanista in Training
SHARP stomach pains. Kind of like the time I had bad french fries, but not as bad :( Oh man, Having trouble falling back to sleep. Friday's total kava intake =5 Tbsp.
Time to buck up. Lots more kava to taste! @Steve Mariotti, I know the Kava Forums Royalty that you speak of. I have learned SO much from reading their posts as well. Makes me eager to learn more.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
SHARP stomach pains. Kind of like the time I had bad french fries, but not as bad :( Oh man, Having trouble falling back to sleep.
You're describing what I call the makkarena, which is the uncomfortable dance you do all night instead of sleeping. "Maybe this position will be comfortable..." Nah. "How about this one?" Hmmmm... nah.

I think you're sensitive to root fibers like I am. But don't despair, with a good bag and a bit of extra elbow grease, all it well. The full kava experience (minus the nausea and stomach upset) is fully attainable.

How are you filtering? Are you drinking micro or medium grind? Instant?
You're not doing toss and wash are you?

Roberta Kavalli

Kavanista in Training
I've started down the kava road with PK Borogu root powder. I'm using a strainer bag that I ordered from them. The powder seems pretty fine to me, and I'm just seeing light sediment after its strained.

NO toss and wash. That sounds like problems. I checked out the nut milk bag you recommended. Maybe the reaction will get better as I get used to kava? It has only been two days.

Thank you for the support

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I've started down the kava road with PK Borogu root powder. I'm using a strainer bag that I ordered from them. The powder seems pretty fine to me, and I'm just seeing light sediment after its strained.

NO toss and wash. That sounds like problems. I checked out the nut milk bag you recommended. Maybe the reaction will get better as I get used to kava? It has only been two days.

Thank you for the support
After a couple sleepless nights, I switched to finer strainer. The strainer bag from PK is a paint strainer bag, and it's pretty coarse compared to a nut milk sack. You could tough it out, and that'd be interesting to see because it suggests digestive adjustment and may mean I can go to micronized if my gut is adjusting. Not that my gut is the same as anyone else's. It's a sad French film noir version of a digestive system with a deep and abiding self-loathing. :)

blindy107

Kava Lover
What are these nut sacks made of? Muslin? I have a muslin strainer that I feel takes too much effort to get a good grog from. It just strains too well for me. But I have an iron guy and enjoy the sediment usually.

My wife however, is similar to you @Steve Mariotti . The slightest irritant sets her tummy on a crash course.

Roberta Kavalli

Kavanista in Training
KavaBoy order showed up in the mailbox. Nice treat on this rainy day! Having a ball trying out different kavas.
A dash of coconut creamer sweetened it up and made it a lil thicker Mmmmm ::aintthatnicez:: Initial effects: the feeling of being lifted off my feet. Levitation almost. Smooth relaxation, mind and body. I like this kava.

Nausea, stomach issues barely noticeable. I went through it for a while around 3am. Up for a bit last night watching Netflix with some discomfort. I survived though(y) and lived to drink more kava.

Roberta Kavalli

Kavanista in Training
Today I felt the kava like 10x more. It was like I was swept away to the magic kingdom of kava where everything is alright all the time. Kind of startling, but in the most pleasant way. I think the kava is starting to speak to me.

That Papa Kea is definitely calling my name... :)

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I've got it on order--I'll let you know if it's good. Unless you're impatient like I am--then you've already ordered :)