What's new

Help me drink my kava!

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
I am a beginner. Having waited an excruciatingly long time to get it delivered to the UK, I'm afraid to drink it: the taste is (apologies if I offend) disgusting. Even mixing it was too much for me. I did, however, manage to neck enough of it to feel a mild, but definite, intoxication.

I'm a recovering alcoholic and I must have this plant in my life. Any suggestions for getting rid of, or used to, the taste?

Bula!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I am a beginner. Having waited an excruciatingly long time to get it delivered to the UK, I'm afraid to drink it: the taste is (apologies if I offend) disgusting. Even mixing it was too much for me. I did, however, manage to neck enough of it to feel a mild, but definite, intoxication.

I'm a recovering alcoholic and I must have this plant in my life. Any suggestions for getting rid of, or used to, the taste?

Bula!
You'll find yourself among many here (myself included) with issues of past various chemical dependency.

If you don't want to taste it at all, here's what you do:
Chill it down. The colder the kava, the less you'll taste. Every night I drank kava was a battle in the past for me. Once you chill it, drink it all in one go while not breathing through your nose. Rinse your mouth out with water really thoroughly (while still not breathing through your nose) and you will taste very little to no kava.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
As long as you do not gag immediatly, you can drink it.
Otherwise, mixing it with orange juice seems to work very well. I rarely do it because i want to get it over with quickly

N

Noname

use less water and quickly drink it then have apple juice after or mango or something that's not acidic no lemon orange or pineapple juice. You'll get used to the Taste lol

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A friend of mine liked mango juice but I find pineapple the best at taking the edge off the taste. Or just get used to it. It might take a while but it will just get easier as you go along. Honest.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
You could also try kava times cocoa instant kava. I haven't had it personally but it sounds like it would be great for people who can't stand the taste of kava

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Welcome, eventually you'll get used to the taste, look forward to it and won't mind it :)

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
As you can tell already, everyone here has their personal preferences on how to consume Kava. I've managed to find ways that it tastes ok, and some ways that it actually can taste good to some extent. The main issue for me (which might not concern others,) is I like that kava doesn't contain a bunch of calories and other additives. For me adding all these extras to mask it defeats part of the reason I consume kava.

The more you drink Kava the more manageable the taste will get. It never really tastes good to me but I don't mind it. I believe a lot of it is in my head due to associating the awful taste to the pleasure it will bring. One odd way that I've had people try it is to follow the taste with a little drink of flavored coffee creamer. It seems to mask the aftertaste quite a bit. Strange but it works. Also like Kapm said try holding your nose. I can't remember the percentage but a vast majority of your taste actually comes from your sense of smell.

I hope the best for your recovery and journey with Kava. BULA ::chugger::

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
Thanks err'body

The holding the nose thing worked a treat (how did I not remember such a childhood hack for medicines etc). The cooling, too, I necked it straight and chased with some tropical juice. Think I've quite strong reverse tolerance, so just need to keep it up 'til I love it. However, I can notice quite a good mood and no anxiety :) It reminds me so much of cocaine: both the numbing and the taste, slightly. Whereas I've no love of that drug, the taste and numbing are pleasant.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Zaphod taught me to chase kava with ginger beer and that changed my life, wipes out the aftertaste (if that's what I want, but some kavas taste goooood, seriously) and kills any potential nausea. Just a swig or two or three do the trick. Fentiman's in the UK is a very good brand but any West Indian store should have good stuff.

BTW, my experience of weaning off alcohol was it took a few months as I gradually drank less and less and eventually just stopped drinking any alcohol at all. I have since felt not a single craving for alcohol at all. And yet, I didn't *quit* drinking, I *stopped* drinking. It isn't something I did, rather, it was something that happened to me, and kava was behind it. No cravings, no troubles, no regrets, it was utterly painless and complete, after about 45 years of drinking beer. If what you experience is only half as good it'll still be amazing and worthwhile. Life is a lot more fun now, and a lot more relaxed.

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
Ah, didn't think about ginger beer, a nice fiery one!

One other question, I am ok to be taking kava along with SSRIs aren't I?

Vice

Kava Enthusiast
Seamy welcome and congrats on starting your kava life, it will be well worth the effort you put into it. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy some of the better tasting strains and tolerate the rest. Chocolate helps make kava stronger for me so it was a no brainer to mix kava with chocolate almond milk. Kava gets absorbed by your system more if you have some fat with it. So the C milk helps with that as well as taste. I have capping machine for filling and making capsules. Some herbs work better or longer if you take them in cap form. A friend just could not drink kava no matter what, she would gag the second she smelled it or it would hit her lips. So I capped a bunch of sifted med root. I put 4-5 drops of black seed oil in each cap. After she took 6-7 caps I'd make her a cup of hot tea with cream and right after tea would hit her stomach her cute little face would turn krunky kruck faster than the kavasours tears into a bag of new kava.

I've tried the caps too when I was out and about and have found that they do take a little longer to kick if you don't have some hot tea, but when they do the krunky goodness last longer.

I will warn that if you don't drink a lot of water or some drink, after you take some caps it can be ruff on the stomach. It's like a numbing belly bomb that will creep up on you

I hope you can stay off the booze
BULA!

D

Deleted User01

All I can tell ya is hold your breath and take 2 or 3 quick gulps over the bathroom sink. Rinse your mouth and have a sip of water and get ready to be relaxed. Unlike others who taste nutmeg, vanilla, flowers in spring, and honeydew drops; all I taste is kava and I have rinsing it out of my mouth for years. Whatever makes it happen ...

KavaKhris

Kava Curious
Sure I'll help ya drink it, just send it my way! ;)

To be real, just glug it down and slam a little chunk of pineapple to chase, but don't eat too much or you'll dull the effect! Can't be much worse than taking a shot of some vile liquor.

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Hold your nose, you can chug a 4oz shell pretty quick, then chase with water or milk or anything. Makes it much easier than trying to drink it slow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
So I'm finally getting somewhere. Chugging with my nose closed and washing it down, I can barely taste it.

Definitely getting some effects. Maybe a wee bit jittery, but I'm currently weening off an SSRI which somebody else had attributed to the jerky effects. It's not a criticism, but slightly unexpected. As I type, I can feel my coordination is slightly off.

I'm currently on the BKH 11 year waka. Haven't experienced the negatives of micronised yet, so I'll gulp it while I'm still a newbie.