What's new

Help me drink my kava!

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
Oh don't worry, my coordination is usually slightly off after a good shell or two of kava :) . That's just a common side effect.
Ha the effect on coordination is a desired one. I've got a big bowl of the micronised 11 year waka from BKH, purely for ease of preparation, but I may try the Borogu next. I think it's a Vanuatu? How would you compare the effects of the two, if you've tried both?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
11 yr waka is very sedating for me. Balanced I would say but slides into good sedation. Borogu is a standard kava that is pretty reliable wherever you get it from. I find it balanced but maybe more heavy, not as strong as the 11 yr waka. Both have their uses for different occasions. If I've had a bad day and need strong relaxing I go for 11 yr waka, everyday drinking more borogu.

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
I'm glad to hear that actually. I've found the 11 year very sedating too. I like to work late into the night so perhaps Borogu while I work and the 11 year to see me to bed. Although they're doing away with the latter now...

Interestingly, I would usually take either melatonin or diphenhydramine (Nytol) to sleep and I haven't felt the need to since starting kava.

Vice

Kava Enthusiast
I'm on the same page as you guys, the bkh borogu is an any time root, but I go for it mostly during the day early evening when I just need to chill but not pass out. I can have the 11 year micro an small doses and still keep it together and function doing most things like running my chainsaw or wood chipper. Hehe just kidding I only use them when I'm mad ::toungez::

I had so many herbs I used to take before kava for sleep and chillaxing and I rarely use them since kava or when I need to take a brake from mothers mud water
bula brothers

Seamyb88

Kava Curious
I'm on the same page as you guys, the bkh borogu is an any time root, but I go for it mostly during the day early evening when I just need to chill but not pass out. I can have the 11 year micro an small doses and still keep it together and function doing most things like running my chainsaw or wood chipper. Hehe just kidding I only use them when I'm mad ::toungez::

I had so many herbs I used to take before kava for sleep and chillaxing and I rarely use them since kava or when I need to take a brake from mothers mud water
bula brothers
Which other herbs do you use Vice?

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
A bite of some really rich chocolate will keep your taste buds at bay while you chug. That and slam it as fast as you can!

Vice

Kava Enthusiast
Which other herbs do you use Vice?
Valerian root(a root that smells much worse than kava) corydalis(taste much, much worst than kava) hops flower, Indian worrier flower, elephant head flower, Chinese cats claw to name a few. If you want to learn about any of them you can PM me

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes, you are getting somewhere, that's excellent.

I find I don't have to hold my nose when chugging, just getly and fully breath out of my nose right before chugging. Finsish chugging and then put the shell down before breathing in again. hen I chase with a swig or two or three of ginger beer. Bingo, no probs.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm glad to hear that actually. I've found the 11 year very sedating too. I like to work late into the night so perhaps Borogu while I work and the 11 year to see me to bed. Although they're doing away with the latter now...

Interestingly, I would usually take either melatonin or diphenhydramine (Nytol) to sleep and I haven't felt the need to since starting kava.
that's what my wife found. She used to regularly take melatonin and with kava that quickly dropped to nothing.

Marie

The very first time I made kava I was of course quite anxious to sample my creation and dove right in... It was not the most pleasant experience and I'll never forget it, as far as the taste was concerned anyway, the rest was lovely. I experimented with adding sugar, adding flavors, and changing my medium (everything from almond milk to almond-coconut blend to soy milk) and then I just stuck it in the fridge and made myself be patient. That was it for me. I chill every batch no matter how anxious I might be to gulp a shell. I actually enjoy my kava very much this way and look forward not just to the benefits but the actual act of drinking it. Most surprising is my husband reacted the very same way. He did not enjoy drinking any I made before the "big chill" and now it's something he's as eager to drink as I am. Maybe it's just us but it could be worth trying.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
Wow so many people that dislike the taste. I feel as if I'm the only one here that enjoys all the flavor of the root and it's numbing effects.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Make it super strong so you don't have to drink much. Chug 6ish ounces in one go. Chase with a slice of pineapple. The pineapple really cuts the aftertaste.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
Taste isn't horrible. One person on reddit said it was the equivalent to powdered vomit, that is way off. Tastes medicinal.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm so used to warm kava it doesn't bother me at all. If I make a batch I'll put it in the fridge and it does get colder as it goes along but I don't find the taste alters that much, in fact kava that's been in the fridge for a while if anything tastes a bit more peppery. If I'm aluballing every shell will be lukewarm as I use water from the tap or bottled water if I'm in the lorry, doesn't bother me at all.