What's new

How to prepare root chips?

Ethan

Kava Curious
So I ordered some of kavafieds lateral root chips. They're supposed to arrive later today, and I'll happily post a review for them :)
Does anyone have an idea of the best way to grind the roots? I have one of those ninja grinders for vegetables... So... Maybe that? Also should I be careful to not make it too fine of a powder?

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
So I ordered some of kavafieds lateral root chips. They're supposed to arrive later today, and I'll happily post a review for them :)
Does anyone have an idea of the best way to grind the roots? I have one of those ninja grinders for vegetables... So... Maybe that? Also should I be careful to not make it too fine of a powder?
I couldn't give you good advice out of this, but out of sheer curiosity, could you split one of them open lengthwise with a razor blade and post a pic of what it looks like?

My curiosity stems from wondering if you could remove the makas and chew the remaining part of the root and perhaps get a potent effect from that... (?)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've put whole lateral roots in a spice grinder with successful results. I think a ninja would certainly do it.
Alternatively, you could chew it up and spit it out until you have a root ball the size of a baseball or soft ball and then strain it. This would be more unpleasant with dried kava than fresh though.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Vitamix blender works really well. Ninja blenders are often compared favorably to Vitamix (damned expensive but awesome), so I would imagine that would work. I just ground up some root this morning, took just a few seconds on low in the Vitamix. Smells SO good - especially when the kava dust wafted around my kitchen!

Ethan

Kava Curious
Broke the shit out of my ninja grinder lol. The engine basically stopped. I'm testing the chewing prep now. My goal is to do 55 grams today. But no way... I've chewed like 10 grams(and haven't even mixed them with water yet) and I'm already feeling it!!!

Ethan

Kava Curious
Lol love the video. But I'm doing my best! Drinking it now. Nothing unpleasant about chewing the root . Less bitter than medium grind imo. The taste of the grog isn't bad either. Although I did consume it in 50% coconut water 50% distilled water. Even the smell of these roots is relaxing. Again, not bad at all. I'm now two shells in and I've got a nice heady kavalactone buzz. No nausea whatsoever

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
@kasa_balavu I've been wondering, do Fijians sometimes pronounce "W" with a "V" like they do in Hawai'i ?
As in; Lawena --- Lah-veh-nah ?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Our dear leader thrust a new constitution upon us in 2013. This new constitution grants the name Fijian, previously reserved for the indigenous population, to all citizens.
The indigenous are now referred to as iTaukei.

iTaukei call it lawena, but Fijians of Indian descent sometimes pronounce it like you heard... with a "v".

Lawena, when not referring to kava, means "meat".

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
So in native iTaukei there is always a difference between and W and a V.
Also, @kasa_balavu , if you don't mind me asking, you seem to be quite educated and have perfect english, much more than an average dude from a village, do you have a parent from aus/nz/us...? or were you educated outside of fiji ?
or am i just completely underestimating the education system throughout the islands ? :pompus:

::shell::::tanoa::::shell::

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
So in native iTaukei there is always a difference between and W and a V.
I believe so, but I can't say for certain whether that is *always* the case. There are a number of iTaukei dialects. In the official and most common one (Bauan - the dialect spoken by the "biggest" chief at the time the British arrived), yes V and W are different.

if you don't mind me asking, you seem to be quite educated and have perfect english, much more than an average dude from a village, do you have a parent from aus/nz/us...? or were you educated outside of fiji ?
or am i just completely underestimating the education system throughout the islands ?
Thanks for the kind words, and no, I don't mind you asking.
I was educated in Fiji. I did leave the country for a scholarship at a university in India... but I was young and stupid and I dropped out two years into the program. I spent most of that time at LAN parties playing Age of Empires and Counterstrike, so I don't consider those years a net positive as far as my education was concerned.
High school is as far as I got.

So discounting those two years in India, I received the same education as "the average dude from a village". The difference I suppose was the socio-economic level of my parents, and the fact that they were english-speaking. I lived on Taveuni island until I was 15. It was relatively undeveloped with most of the population making a living off the land... I'd guess that the average kid didn't have any books other than the bible at home. I grew up with a massive bookshelf... and I read everything I could get my hands on.

I reckon that makes all the difference in development. We have free education in Fiji, but clearly that isn't enough. Once the basic needs are taken care of up to level where the kids aren't needed to toil the fields and have enough leisure time of their own... give them books from a very young age. Without a love of reading, most of education is a process of force-feeding and rote-learning. But now I'm going off-topic.

I suppose to summarise... my english is decent because of pure luck: I was born to english-speaking middle-class parents who loved reading and passed on that love to me. English-speaking because we are kailoma – of mixed european/fijian descent (arrived circa 1820). BTW I'd probably blend in in your home town... I look white lol.

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, 1820. They must have been some of the earliest settlers. I just finished the biography of William Mariner in Tonga (incredible read, BTW), which took place from 1806-1810. Fiji was mentioned many times. A much different world then!

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Wow, 1820. They must have been some of the earliest settlers.
They were. An english ship-builder partnered up with an american businessman and they grew quite wealthy together... the englishman's son married the american's daughter and the rest is history.
The ship-builder acquired an island called Wakaya and is buried near it's highest point. Incidentally, this island (now owned by the creator of Fiji Water) is the source of the popular 11yr/12yr kava sold by BKH and ParadiseKava.

I just finished the biography of William Mariner in Tonga (incredible read, BTW), which took place from 1806-1810. Fiji was mentioned many times. A much different world then!
Wow, definitely sounds incredible. Have put the book on my wishlist :)

YogaNatureLvr

Kava Enthusiast
@kasa_balavu , I highly recommend the book, "An Account of the Natives of the Tonga Islands in the South Pacific Islands." It is the true story of a 14 year old English boy who lived on the Tongan islands for four years in close proximity to two Tongan kings after his ship was taken over by force and virtually all of the crew was killed. I could barely put it down. It is like reading an action-adventure story of the highest quality, filled with amazing historical details about pre-European contact Polynesian life. Someone should make a movie out of it.

The book is old enough that it is in the public domain, so you can download it for free on Google books (that version is in two separate volumes that you will need to download separately) or for $1.99 on Amazon Kindle.
Amazon productAs a bonus, the Tongans' ceremonies surrounding "cava" are mentioned extensively. Also, there was a lot of contact between Tongans and Fijians at that time, so you learn quite a bit about Fiji as well. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Last edited: