What's new

How to properly prepare.....

Jason123098

Kava Curious
I got/used my capsules...took 7 at a time....didn't really do anything.
So i bought Fresh Vanuatu Kava Root - Premium Borongoru - 1/2 lb.
How exactly should i prepare it?9i know there will be some instructions on package but wanted some advice).
Do i need a muslin bag? Should i use cold, hot or boiling water?

Thanks in advance.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Typically, yes; you use a strainer bag (which could be muslin or nylon). Some people just use women's knee-high's (I've never tried it, but it seems well attested). You use cool (or warm to very warm, if you want) water. You put a few heaping tablespoons in the strainer bag and knead it under your water in a bowl for 10ish minutes. Squish the root powder around against itself and your fingers until it feels less slimy and more gritty and the water becomes thicker like coffee with creamer, so you can see little or no light through it, when pouring it. Chug it in reasonable amounts at reasonable intervals (maybe 1/2-1 cup every 10-20 minutes). After the first batch, repeat with the same root and a little less water in another so you get all good stuff out of your root powder.

Jason123098

Kava Curious
Typically, yes; you use a strainer bag (which could be muslin or nylon). Some people just use women's knee-high's (I've never tried it, but it seems well attested). You use cool (or warm to very warm, if you want) water. You put a few heaping tablespoons in the strainer bag and knead it under your water in a bowl for 10ish minutes. Squish the root powder around against itself and your fingers until it feels less slimy and more gritty and the water becomes thicker like coffee with creamer, so you can see little or no light through it, when pouring it. Chug it in reasonable amounts at reasonable intervals (maybe 1/2-1 cup every 10-20 minutes). After the first batch, repeat with the same root and a little less water in another so you get all good stuff out of your root powder.
So half a pound i can only use roughly how many times? Can i use a t-shirt instead of a muslin bag for example? Also the kava i mentioned, is it any good?

Jason123098

Kava Curious
Welcome
There are plenty of preparation methods listed here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kava-preparation/
It is definitely worth trying a few.
Also, this thread might be useful for you as your journey with Kava begins: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/reverse-tolerance-or-no-response-or.11401/
1. Measure out 40 grams of ground kava. I usually use boroguru.
2. Place kava into tripled kava strainer in mixing bowl, or in the case of the newer finer boroguru, it will be better suited to use a fine Fijian strainer instead.
3. Microwave 400ml of water to 120 degrees or in 1100 watt microwave for 1:20.
4. Mix dried kava with the 400 ml water inside of strainer in your bowl. Be sure to thoroughly mix the kava and continue to until you see no dried pieces.
5. Put on your nitrile gloves and squeeze and knead kava for 20 minutes.
6. Clean out your strainers and put your prepared beverage in the fridge.
7. Wait a couple of hours
8. Drink!!
9. Profit
This is most suited to me because i do not own a blender....but i don't own a kava strainereither..let alone 3.....any alternative? Also can't i just use warm/hot water instead of the microwave? :S

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I got/used my capsules...took 7 at a time....didn't really do anything.
So i bought Fresh Vanuatu Kava Root - Premium Borongoru - 1/2 lb.
How exactly should i prepare it?9i know there will be some instructions on package but wanted some advice).
Do i need a muslin bag? Should i use cold, hot or boiling water?

Thanks in advance.
My advice is always ignore package instructions with kava.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So half a pound i can only use roughly how many times? Can i use a t-shirt instead of a muslin bag for example? Also the kava i mentioned, is it any good?
What brand is that kava? Who did you buy it from?

1/2 lb is 36 TBS. how many usages will depend on how you prep it and what a usage is for you, which in turn will depend on what you are using it for, what is your goal in drinking kava. Your yield will, depending on all the above, be somewhere in the range of 4:1 to 24:1. So, you have 2 1/4 cups of medium grind, and this will yield you between 9 and 50 cups of grog, and typically a dose might be anything from 1/2 cup to 4 cups, depending on the ength of session you like. So you usages will be between 2 and 100. Sorry if that isn't helpful but it is accurate. Obviously, there is no "right way" with kava, only what is right for you at the time.

Otoh, typically, when people start drinking kava, they make many wasteful mistakes, I know I sure did. Also, when they start to really enjoy it they go a little ape on it, again, I did. All of that is normal and to be expected, part of finding your sea legs.

You can use a t shrt, muslin bag is better.

Last edited:

Jason123098

Kava Curious
What brand is that kava? Who did you buy it from?

1/2 lb is 36 TBS. how many usages will depend on how you prep it and what a usage is for you, which in turn will depend on what you are using it for, what is your goal in drinking kava. Your yield will, depending on all the above, be somewhere in the range of 4:1 to 24:1. So, you have 2 1/4 cups of medium grind, and this will yield you between 9 and 50 cups of grog, and typically a dose might be anything from 1/2 cup to 4 cups, depending on the ength of session you like. So you usages will be between 2 and 100. Sorry if that isn't helpful but it is accurate. Obviously, there is no "right way" with kava, only what is right for you at the time.

Otoh, typically, when people start drinking kava, they make many wasteful mistakes, I know I sure did. Also, when they start to really enjoy it they go a little ape on it, again, I did. All of that is normal and to be expected, part of finding your sea legs.

You can use a t shrt, muslin bag is better.
Purchased it from Kalm with Kava, the kava type i listed.
So what guide/prep would you recommend for me then? as a beginner and no blender/muslin bag.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Purchased it from Kalm with Kava, the kava type i listed.
So what guide/prep would you recommend for me then? as a beginner and no blender/muslin bag.
well, good news. In answer to you quality question, yes, it is good, very good. And also a good "first kava," I think.

You'd be fine with a blender or smoothie maker and then strain through a tea strainer like Mrbinx69 says. The powder to liquid ration will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Rough guide: for mild relaxation 1 or 2 TBS per cup of liquid. For strong relaxation 3 TBS and for mild intoxication 4TBS per cup. I would not recommend stronger than that unless you have a bit of experience already. Also, you can reuse the makas that are left after straining, either by using less water the next time around or a little bit more dry powder added. And you can do this more than once. Basically, until it doesn't seem to be producing much of anything.

Jason123098

Kava Curious
well, good news. In answer to you quality question, yes, it is good, very good. And also a good "first kava," I think.

You'd be fine with a blender or smoothie maker and then strain through a tea strainer like Mrbinx69 says. The powder to liquid ration will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Rough guide: for mild relaxation 1 or 2 TBS per cup of liquid. For strong relaxation 3 TBS and for mild intoxication 4TBS per cup. I would not recommend stronger than that unless you have a bit of experience already. Also, you can reuse the makas that are left after straining, either by using less water the next time around or a little bit more dry powder added. And you can do this more than once. Basically, until it doesn't seem to be producing much of anything.
Yeah but i do not posses a smoothie or blender :(

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah but i do not posses a smoothie or blender :(
In my younger years, I went to the fabric department of a Walmart and bought a square yard of sheer curtain material. Worked just fine as a strainer; I think I used it for years; I just put it over a big bowl, put the root powder in the middle, grabbed it with the left hand above the root powder to form a pouch and kneaded away with the right hand in water. (...and, to repeat, I have seen women's nylons often recommended.) T-shirt could work, but I've never tried it or seen it specifically recommended. c.f. below:

Last edited:

Jason123098

Kava Curious
I will check out the video thanks, i just bought muslin bags or whatever it is exactly called from K-mart...i do not know though if it is the right one....
Says for putting in docorations and jewelry....obviously though there not going to put on the label 'to prepare kava'.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I will check out the video thanks, i just bought muslin bags or whatever it is exactly called from K-mart...i do not know though if it is the right one....
Says for putting in docorations and jewelry....obviously though there not going to put on the label 'to prepare kava'.
I'm sure they would if they thought that would sell the bags!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
But a muslin bag is a muslin bag right? lol
Ill soak one of em in water and see what happens...if it drips through is that a good or bad sign??
I'm sure they're all about the same thing. I used to have some, back in the day, from a healthfood store that were marketed for making tea. I never tried it for kava, but they struck me as being a little thick for kneading through... But I've seen that some of the vendors give them away, so they must work. Personally, I like nylon mesh bags other vendors sell (which is similar to the curtain material I used years ago).

If it was me, at this point, I would just try it. If you can knead up a beverage that looks like coffee with creamer or chocolate milk and that numbs your mouth, then you're on the right track. If you end up with wood chips floating on the surface or your water won't pass through the material and after kneading for 10 minutes your water is still pretty translucent, then you can try something else.

Last edited:

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I can vouch for nylons. I use ladies tights, you might call them pantyhose. I cut a few inches from a leg and tie it off.