What's new

If You Are Feeling Down...

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've noticed a similar thing, but I also, as others have said, think this may actually be a benefit of kava. I smoked ye 'ole mari**** for 15 years, and quit because I finally realized I was using it to -control- my mood. I like that kava doesn't allow me to do that, I can experience the physical benefits of kava while still being forced to deal with my psychological state with my own tools and faculties.
Hey, I love me some smoked marinade barbecue. It certainly does give your mood a lift. :D (By the way, you can say marijuana here now...)

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Ok. Morning session went well. Not much lift from the Borongoru but also almost no sad, heavy feelings. So pretty much went from neutral to neutral. The rest of the day went fine as well.
I appreciate those who say kava is nice because it doesn't mask feelings and all, but I'm talking more about a situation where I suspect kava is either causing or amplifying sad feelings. These were situations where I wasn't feeling depressed and within 30 min of kava use, felt a heaviness that wasn't pleasant come over me. Not a relaxed drowsy feeling. More of a heavy sadness not connected to any specific thoughts.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Sorry, I just realized those posts I referenced were probably not replying to me but to the original post. I was confusing this thread with another I had started.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
No No No, I do not use Kava when I feel blue. When I am anxious I will use a heavy Kava or if want to tickle my inner stoner I will use a heady kava. When I am down in the dumps I will use Mucuna Pruriens (L-dopa 98% extract) from powdercity.com. Another one you dont want to over do because it is a dopamine precursor. Unlike Kava it dont taste bad, just meh. Start small read up on it, do your research before you use this one, it is the real deal.
http://www.powdercity.com/products/mucuna-pruriens-powder-dosage

Muddy

Kava Curious
I'm glad of this thread. Last night, after chugging some Pouni Ono, I ever so gradually slumped into an unpleasant, vaguely desolate, place mood wise. It had happened before with Kava, so I'm recognising a pattern. It's true I'm not thriving these days and struggle to find purpose since I stopped working, so yeah I'm probably a bit depressed. But I was surprised by how low I got just a few hours after a couple of shells.

I have some Mucuna Pruriens but never felt anything after taking it. Perhaps I need to persevere.

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
I'm glad of this thread. Last night, after chugging some Pouni Ono, I ever so gradually slumped into an unpleasant, vaguely desolate, place mood wise. It had happened before with Kava, so I'm recognising a pattern. It's true I'm not thriving these days and struggle to find purpose since I stopped working, so yeah I'm probably a bit depressed. But I was surprised by how low I got just a few hours after a couple of shells.

I have some Mucuna Pruriens but never felt anything after taking it. Perhaps I need to persevere.
When I'm alone, kava somehow induces an introspective quality. The days my focus is more positive, it will help me pick myself back up. But if I have too much negative stuff in my head, it forces me to face that.

Since kava's not quite that magical, it's similar to alcohol or any drug as far as underlying personal issues go. The cause remains in the brain. The kava can help simplify some things or bring on the truth about others.

Although, I guess, one could drink enough to pass out for the night whilst still drinking, but I haven't tried that yet.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yep yep. That sounds about right. Kava isn't going to repair your social relationships all by itself, or get you a job. On the other hand, it might keep you away from booze and hard hitting drugs. But on hard days, I'll admit to being that guy at the bar who sticks around for a couple hours and reads "the New Yorker" until I get too fuzzy to process the ideas.

Last edited:

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
Yep yep. That sounds about right. Kava isn't going to repair your social relationships all by itself, or get you a job. On the other hand, it might keep you away from booze and hard hitting drugs. But on hard days, I'll admit to being that guy at the bar who sticks around for a couple areas and reads "the New Yorker" until I get too fuzzy to process the ideas.
It could get you a job.

Imagine the paychecks for your recordings for The New York Times - Kava Review Section? :ROFLMAO::cry::p

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I use Kava daily for anxiety, though that is a small amount to keep me medicated. I do use it as a crutch on my extra sad days and do drink more on those days and it does keep me calm. What I find though is the Kava never takes me there on my real bad days. Like no uber euphoria no matter how much I drink, calm and relaxation yes, but never make it to "there". Like today I have the house to myself and I am modding some guitar pedals and doing some guitar maintence and it is very cathartic. So I am already having a nice happy day. So I made up some traditional prep and it is easily taking me "There". I am learning more and more how my body works with Kava and what amount to use for the current situation I am in.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Kava is great for anxiety relief - absolutely fantastic. On those days where I've been jostled around and lambasted by all the ill-intentioned people in this world, it really does the trick. But if I'm missing my kids, or wife, or farm, or whatever - well, a six pack and a good movie are in order.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Today, for example, I was feeling a bit stressed out about several different things. Children, job satisfaction, Mother's Day anxieties, etc. I shook up some Vava'u and that worry disappeared like steam in a defroster (weird metaphor, I know). Getting rooted works about 95% of the time for me.

ondance-a-tron

Kava Curious
Ah, that sounds like it sucks. I don't get that... but the more sedating and heavy kavas make me lazy sometimes which can be annoying. Like, lessening the feeling of being depressed or upset but the lack of motivation is still there.
Other than that, I get the opposite of what's being described, most notably with heady kava. Probably has to do with the way I deal with negative feelings and what causes them for me. I'm naturally a pretty unemotional person.

iglooNakamal

Kava Enthusiast
Down in the dumps tonight. I'm going to try to kick back in the morning with some strong mate' in hopes to turn this around. Anyone have any suggestions that can combat the sadness when we just aren't in the right mindset for our lovely kava?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Down in the dumps tonight. I'm going to try to kick back in the morning with some strong mate' in hopes to turn this around. Anyone have any suggestions that can combat the sadness when we just aren't in the right mindset for our lovely kava?
Listen to radiohead and embrace your sadness.

YourOlePalAl

Kava Curious
I agree with this, but only because Kava isn't an escape substance. With some substances, you take it when you are sad and it helps you escape the pain for a while. Kava (and many other plants, like cannabis) doesn't let you escape your problems and tends to make you face them, at least for me. Every body works differently, so YMMV.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I agree with this, but only because Kava isn't an escape substance. With some substances, you take it when you are sad and it helps you escape the pain for a while. Kava (and many other plants, like cannabis) doesn't let you escape your problems and tends to make you face them, at least for me. Every body works differently, so YMMV.
Spot on. I think this is the reason that opiates are so enticing. They take away the pain, but when the drug wares off, your still left wanting to go back to that painless place. It's just an endless cycle of misery. I've never herd of a person have that happen to them from a kava or pot habit (no matter what the psas say).

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I was wondering if my situation with kava was unique. It started to make me feel like a zombie, with less ability to entertain deep thoughts, or to be motivated to do anything. I stopped a couple days ago and ordered Tyrosine, I think I'm just highly sensitive to fluctuations in dopamine, going too low causes me to "lose my soul".

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Crazy, I was just thinking about this thread and dopamine today. I had about six beers last night and woke up this morning very depressed and confused.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I was wondering if my situation with kava was unique. It started to make me feel like a zombie, with less ability to entertain deep thoughts, or to be motivated to do anything. I stopped a couple days ago and ordered Tyrosine, I think I'm just highly sensitive to fluctuations in dopamine, going too low causes me to "lose my soul".
I find some kavas can make me more sluggish than others. Some will give me a really nice night and I'll feel fine the next morning. Try drinking Yerba Mate for a boost the next day. There's a thread about it on this very forum.

Crazy, I was just thinking about this thread and dopamine today. I had about six beers last night and woke up this morning very depressed and confused.
The last time I drank alcohol I really noticed the depression kick in which is odd considering I drank it for nearly every day of 25 years. Sometimes you feel like yiki's thread that he started today... do I really like kava? but when you consider the alternatives it's a good thing to have around.