What's new

If You Are Feeling Down...

verticity

I'm interested in things
Crazy, I was just thinking about this thread and dopamine today. I had about six beers last night and woke up this morning very depressed and confused.
That likely has to do with NMDA receptors which alcohol can mess with..

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I find some kavas can make me more sluggish than others. Some will give me a really nice night and I'll feel fine the next morning. Try drinking Yerba Mate for a boost the next day. There's a thread about it on this very forum.

The last time I drank alcohol I really noticed the depression kick in which is odd considering I drank it for nearly every day of 25 years. Sometimes you feel like yiki's thread that he started today... do I really like kava? but when you consider the alternatives it's a good thing to have around.
Hmm, I'm hesitant about the caffeine, my plan is to combine tyrosine or mucuna with Kava. I've gotta have a huge sensitivity to dopamine/norepinephrine because I remember taking a couple grams a day of Taurine for a couple weeks and eventually getting a highly energetic euphoria. I don't know of many others who would say Taurine gave them euphoria.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hmm, I'm hesitant about the caffeine, my plan is to combine tyrosine or mucuna with Kava. I've gotta have a huge sensitivity to dopamine/norepinephrine because I remember taking a couple grams a day of Taurine for a couple weeks and eventually getting a highly energetic euphoria. I don't know of many others who would say Taurine gave them euphoria.
The caffeine from yerba doesn't make you jittery at all and there is plenty of other good stuff in there.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It can probably be too numbing if you are very sad. It can help or hurt during stress. I find it helps if its a situation where it is wise to be passive

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It can probably be too numbing if you are very sad. It can help or hurt during stress. I find it helps if its a situation where it is wise to be passive
I road rage a lot less since drinking kava which is good seeing as I drive all day for a living :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hmm, it has monoamine oxidase inhibitors so it would have a profound effect on dopamine levels through caffeine as well. I guess I'll buy some.
@EQ will know more than me but it contains the same feel good chemicals as chocolate, theobromine/ide, something like that. When I was drinking alcohol regularly I found myself really sensitive to caffeine. Coffee and even tea would make me feel quite ill afterwards sometimes. I couldn't drink sodas with caffeine in at all either. Since I tried Mate I drink it quite a lot and never feel ill afterwards (unless I have too much in which case I can feel a bit wobbly).

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
@EQ will know more than me but it contains the same feel good chemicals as chocolate, theobromine/ide, something like that. When I was drinking alcohol regularly I found myself really sensitive to caffeine. Coffee and even tea would make me feel quite ill afterwards sometimes. I couldn't drink sodas with caffeine in at all either. Since I tried Mate I drink it quite a lot and never feel ill afterwards (unless I have too much in which case I can feel a bit wobbly).
Yeah! I noticed that. When I drink mate, I get all wobbly and a little dizzy, but that never happens from just straight caffeine.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
If you are feeling down in the dumps, depressed, sad, grieving, etc. then Kava might not be the best thing.

I have had a lot of ups and downs in my life. It's part of being a humanitarian worker who moves from place to place, away from my family, often alone or in the process of making new friends and then losing them. While Kava is awesome at dealing with anxiety and overdrive, it doesn't do a great job when you're stuck with your thoughts, tired, and unmotivated.

Does anyone else have this issue? I've found that even if I drink clean Nobles, I can have a next day depression that is pretty uncontrollably negative. It only happens once in awhile, but when it does it can be destabilizing and disabling. If you're going through a grieving process, or you've had a fall out with a loved one - it seems that Kava can dampen it even more.

One of the very few weaknesses of Kava.
I have noticed this sometimes..Although my life for the last year keeps getting worse. Ready to give up . Health,divorce, overworked, in debt, depression, anxiety, codependency,constant fighting, self loathing, low self esteem and confidence. When will it end going on 6 years sober from drugs and alcohol but it seems my life and mindset are in the same spot just without it.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Idk how relevant it is to mention this since it could just be me. I found out that the physical discomfort I was experiencing after drinking kava was from what I can tell caused by the tensing of my abdominal muscles every time I exhaled. This is something I used to do al the time when I was stressed out, so now that I've recognized and put a stop to it, I drank some 'Ono and I don't feel too bad, I feel like I can take a satisfying breath. Maybe higher doses are required to experience muscle tension relief? Muscle tension has always been my number one source of depression, making it uncomfortable just to breathe and lay down and try to sleep etc. the lack of good sleep could've caused the zombification. Just some theories.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Finally, had the last of the 'Ono I prepared yesterday and I feel good. Not sure why exactly, it could be because it's the only certified noble I have, or it could be because I fixed some muscle tension. If it's because the Borogu and Waka I bought from Bula Kava House are not fully noble, than I guess I'm gonna have to change my position from undecided to complete dislike to Tudei

ondance-a-tron

Kava Curious
Going to throw my 2 cents in... I don't know about mucuna with the kava being the greatest idea. My own experience with that combination ended with a tense nauseous feeling and vomiting each and every time. Not that this will happen to you but, keep in mind you may (or may not) have an unpleasant surprise if you combine mucuna w/ kava considering excess dopamine activity can make you prone to nausea like kava.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I have noticed this sometimes..Although my life for the last year keeps getting worse. Ready to give up . Health,divorce, overworked, in debt, depression, anxiety, codependency,constant fighting, self loathing, low self esteem and confidence. When will it end going on 6 years sober from drugs and alcohol but it seems my life and mindset are in the same spot just without it.
I know this post was a while ago, but I didn't see it then and I hope you're doing alright. PM if you need to talk.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going through a lot right now. My husband may have to have major back surgery. There's a chance it could paralyze him. There's a chance that he could become paralyzed if he doesn't have it. To me, kava seems to unlock my emotions. If I'm really stressed, it definetely helps. If I'm really sad, it seems to quiet that part of me that pretends to be ok no matter what. It allows me to feel my emotions without them overwhelming me. Sometimes kava takes me to a place where I find myself having a good cry, but in those times that's exactly what I need.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Idk how relevant it is to mention this since it could just be me. I found out that the physical discomfort I was experiencing after drinking kava was from what I can tell caused by the tensing of my abdominal muscles every time I exhaled. This is something I used to do al the time when I was stressed out, so now that I've recognized and put a stop to it, I drank some 'Ono and I don't feel too bad, I feel like I can take a satisfying breath. Maybe higher doses are required to experience muscle tension relief? Muscle tension has always been my number one source of depression, making it uncomfortable just to breathe and lay down and try to sleep etc. the lack of good sleep could've caused the zombification. Just some theories.
Try a heavier kava like Stone or Papa Kea for muscle relaxation.

AgentBloke

Kava Curious
As mentioned earlier on this thread, I've found Kanna to be incredibly useful in times of particular distress. It allows you to almost dissacociate yourself from the emotions around a problem and view it more rationally.

Still, it's not something I'd use recreationally. It is (for me at least) very potent, and demands respect. It's an SSRI so people on other medications should be wary of interactions that might cause. There is a very real danger of seratonin syndrome if you combined it with other anti-depressants.

A very interesting plant though, completely unlike Kava but certainly useful and relatively safe compared to many prescribed medications.