What's new

Kava and Memory

infraredz

BULA!
For those who use kava medicinally daily do you notice any relation between memory and kava? I personally have found its mildly impaired my memory at times, although it seems this is mostly with higher DHM strains.

Does anyone have experience with memory impairment or difficulty with memory recall?

Has anyone had experiences using kava while taking a class, especially one that's memory-intensive?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I can't speak for the class part, but I've been drinking for almost 8 years now and I can spit off a 12 digit string of numbers and letters while drinking kava and before just the same. It seems my ability to remember is not that impaired by kava, but I did kinda screw up the possibilities of a clean slate when it comes to memory recall due to my reckless past with chemicals. I could have horrible memory and I just don't realize it because I'm comfortable in my forgetful skin :)

infraredz

BULA!
Indeed, I guess I should always take into account my past mistakes as far as my memory is concerned. I was just curious about the possibility that there might be some sort of state-dependent learning going on or something.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I did notice one thing. I think short-term memory can be slightly affected. Every night when I'm all kavad up when I set my alarm I usually will shoot up in bed like 30 minutes later to check to make sure I set my alarm. If I make a mental note to remember that I set my alarm this won't happen. It seems like automatic functions become even more automatic when kava is involved. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it to see if I can pinpoint other specific examples.

P

pitshack

I have noticed some effect on my memory as well. I also did an excellent job of destroying my memory in years past due to overindulgence, so I have that working against me straight out of the gate. I also take tegretol for mood stabilazation which is also known to cause "cognitive blunting", which is science speak for slightly rertarded.;) Since I started using kava it seems the kava synergizes with the tegretol to make me extra retarded at times. I'm planning on getting off tegretol. When I do I'll give an update.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Yea same here past memory damage . However when i do drink a shell at work at the end of my shift right before i clean the kitchen It seems as if i forget what iam doing . For a min then carry on.

earth mother

Love and Light
Funny, I was just talking about this with my husband today. Due to the actions of my past life I am not the best at retaining info and am pretty spacey at times...Well since I have started this journey with Kava in school my grades seem to be improving. My notes are on point as well as my ability to recall info discussed in class. I had my midterm in Ethics yesterday and it was almost like an outer body experience. I get the theories, but keeping the names of the philosophers who came up with them that is where I struggle. He put the exam down and I was almost giddy and one of the first ones done. In my Earth Science class...and I am no way a math or science girl, but the last two tests I have gotten a 90% or better. So, I would have to say for me personally it seems to be helping my recall....Yet another Win :)

D

Deleted User01

It's possible but I think aging is having the most effect on my memory. In reality, is there any drug that brings on Euphoria that doesn't screw with your memory. Alcohol, MJ, Benzos, Kava... I think they all mess with your mind a little.

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I take a range of Nootropics and Adaptogens that seem to be very synergizing with Kava.
I think the combo has made me some sort of euphoric genius! lol

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Late to this thread but must make some comments....

No matter how much kava i consume, and how "wasted" i become, i never forget what happened the night before.

@Deleted User01 yes, phenibut. Don't play with it for recreational uses though. Profoundly habit forming with real withdrawal potential.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
When I'm well krunked I occasionally experience short term memory difficulties, however I kind of attributes this to a lack of focus. Overall I'd say it actually has IMPROVED my memory.

D

Deactivated Account

Odd, i get memory issues also.

Everytime i have kava….i wake up & find ive forgotten to turn the TV off.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Cisco is one hell of a certification. Because it's a command-line prompt, there's no icons to reference. It's all command line and it's all jargon and acronyms. Still, kava came through in the end. Scored a 947.

Where have I been? I've been krunkly studying for the CCNA. That's where I've been.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Cisco is one hell of a certification. Because it's a command-line prompt, there's no icons to reference. It's all command line and it's all jargon and acronyms. Still, kava came through in the end. Scored a 947.

Where have I been? I've been krunkly studying for the CCNA. That's where I've been.
Welcome back your highness, and congratulations.

Chris Gauthier

Kava Curious
Maybe, like some here, I'll have memory problems when I'm really really krunk, but afterwards, especially the next day, I'll find my ability to focus on tasks to be much sharper. I think it's a win overall.

The interesting thing about kava for me at this point in my short time with the root, is how little I can remember of the actual effects the next day. It's like I can't remember the way it feels, I just know intellectually that it was awesome in specific ways. Every time it's a vaguely new and familiar simultaneously.

KavaKenji

Kava Curious
I have read all the interesting anecdotes. Maybe another source would be research studies? Is there someone that can help?

To add an anecdote, I have observed that my memory is lucid while I'm drinking kava but the next day unless I dropped anchors (or took note of what was going on at different stages of my kava drinking) that the memory includes a feeling of heightened senses but not a lot of detail.