What's new

Kava and Prednisone

HerbalDude420

Mr True Colors
I can't find anything on the web saying there is an interaction between them but i was wondering if any one on here has ever been on prednisone and drank kava? I am now down to only one 10mg dose for 2 days after a two week regime for a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy. Might just wait the two days but a good nights sleep that kava provides has been out of reach the last two weeks.

D

Deleted User01

I have no idea. I hope you are feeling better. @violet, any ideas on Prednisone. I hear ya on the good night's sleep, once you have Kava sleep then you yearn for it.

violet

Do all things with love
For reference, prednisone is an inducer of CYP450 enzymes, which means the effects of kava would probably be diminished if taken with prednisone in the system (kava inhibits CYP450). I often refer to this drug interaction checker and go from there. I'm not sure what I would say on the interactions for someone else, but @HerbalDude420 you have my most sincere sympathies.

I too am severely allergic to poison ivy. The last time I got it was from someone burning a brush pile sight unseen at least 50 yards from a walking trail, I could smell the brush fire in the air. Over the next couple days it began on my face and arms, then came out everywhere else. It must have blown right through my shirt, my whole upper body was one solid weepy poison ivy rash save a few splotches on my left side. Both of my eyes were nearly swollen shut, I looked like I'd come out of the losing end of a boxing match. I probably ate more benadryl that first week or so just trying to sleep away the misery than I had over the course of my whole life. I hope you are feeling better soon!

violet

Do all things with love
Poison ivy/oak should never be burned. Burning it causes the urushiol oil to become airborne which can cause massive contact rashes with exposure. Inhalation can cause swelling of the lungs and serious breathing problems.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm very allergic to both ivy and oak. :( Whenever I get it, I head straight for the doctor to get a cortisone shot and some follow up pills. That has always worked for me. Without it, I would wish I were dead.

Between that and me being a 24x7 gourmet meal for all mosquitoes (both male and female), it has pretty much ruined my desire to want to be a Daniel Boone in the great outdoors.

D

Deleted User01

That mosquito thing is weird. I can be outside and the they leave me alone. But if either my Son or Wife go outside, it's chow time! Of course it maybe the the fur thing ...

HerbalDude420

Mr True Colors
My better half smokes let just say her fair share and mosquito's love her blood or ther nicotine in it for all i know. when i was heavily using garlic the stayed away from me.