What's new

kava and pregnancy

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
Hey there...

soooooooooooo... last night I got a surprise from my wife. Found out that child number 5 is on the way!

She's been rather enjoying Kava, but we were wondering if anyone knew much about kava while pregnant. Any thoughts on this? Is it safe?

I did a search but didn't find much.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Well, I've read that islanders used to stuff kava up their vagina to induce abortions.
There are no official studies on this, that I'm privy too, but usage while pregnant is commonly discouraged.
Probably relatively safe, if used in true moderation. Both in dose and frequency.

Last edited:

rcvjohn

Kava Curious
That's what I figured. (not the abortion part... woah, that's creepy) But I think she's just gonna enjoy her chamomile and red tea for now.

But hey! We're having another baby!

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
are you going to name it after the cultivar you were under the influence of the night it was conceived ? ::awesomesmiles::

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Tongan Pride!
Sounds nice... hah.
Tongan Pride Cullimore, beautiful name, I'm sure the wife will agree.
If that doesn't work, I can break it down more. Rex often buys his Tongan kava from KavaBoy. The name of kava boy's kava is "Hinehina". Rex has told me his Tongan Pride can be "Lanu Mata" or sometimes "'Uli 'uli". (y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

@rcvjohn . I would say no Kava, no alcohol, and no other drugs period. Yeah, I'm same guy that would give his kid a teaspoon of Nene. But a fetus is different. And I don't need any scientific research to tell me whether this is right or not. She only has to sacrifice for 9 months to enjoy her child forever. So to make up for the Sacrifice, cook for her. :hungry:

blindy107

Kava Lover
I would skip it. Being a cns depressant can really limit development from my reading. Been trying to get my fiancé to try kava as well but she's been nursing up until a week ago. Well she did today for a second as well....to curb a meltdown.

We DID enjoy sushi on multiple occasions though. Despite all the warnings against it.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
We considered this question when I was preparing the Kava FAQ for my society's website. I did some research and found this fragment in one government-sponsored report:

"Use of kava during pregnancy or lactation has been cautioned since kavalactones may be
present at concentrations, which would likely have an effect on the foetus or infant (Brinker,
1998). Despite this caution, it has been reported that Pacific Island women have, at least in
the past, drunk kava during pregnancy in the hope that it will give an easy labour and produce
a fine child, and also during lactation to induce milk flow (Frater, 1952). "

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/publications/documents/30_Kava1.pdf

D

Deleted User01

What if he's an awful cook?
Then he can get his Boy Scout Handbook out and learn from scratch. My wife appreciated me making scambled egg tacos in the morning. How tough can that be? How about some BBQ when the weather clears. Make mass quantities so you don't have to do it so often. And then there is the handy dandy crock pot. Throw a bunch of stuff in there, turn it on, and in the morning it's magic.

R

Rookietwoshoes

My ex husband could screw up a piece of toast. Any attempt for him to cook would be construed as an attempt on my life. But that was very sweet of you to do that for your other half, @Deleted User01 . You're a keeper :)

D

Deleted User01

This is off topic, but I'm a selfish self-centered man most of the time. But I know there comes a time when you have to "payback". I don't want to take too much credit here but I pick my spots. Its appreciated and then I go back to being my normal self. I have to admit that women, wives, and mothers have to put up with a lot of sh__. Maybe I should save this posting for Mother's Day or something. Anyway, a pregnant wife is a very, very special case.

D

Deleted User01

Okay, let's put all of this awful cook nonsense to rest. My cooking rocks. She loves it when I cook... so, there! ;-)
Dude, some time down the road, youl have to give me some of your "lady pleasing" recipes. That's just another club in the old golf bag. I least give me your "lady killer" recipe and it doesn't have to have chocolate though it probably helps. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted User01

Oh know you didn't. :eek: Did you just say "foot". :LOL:
::frosty:: Perv in the house! Hide your wallet and run for cover ... stat! Deleted User01, you need to start drinking more Boroguru and less stimulating high Kavain kavas. And I thought Hedgie (@HeadHodge) was bad. Geez. :rolleyes: