What's new

Kava Census 2 Brainstorming

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's time to put together the second non-annual-whenever-I-feel-like-it kava census. For those of you not aware, the census is where I poll the demographics of the forum as well as ask questions that might produce interesting answers, like whether people feel adding emulsifiers improves potency at all.

Here is the thread from the first one: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-census.2494/

Things I'm definitely going to add to the poll:
- Questions about instants, micronized and extracts, which have taken over the forums by storm since the last census.
- More specific location polling that will be used to create a map of where users live. (Quick note: No answers are mandatory so you can skip them if you want)

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Zip codes would be ideal, you can leave out the rest of the info if you want. In terms of locality, zip code is good enough and it's easy data to work with.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It is, but we also have quite a few international users. There'll probably be around 50-100 responses, so doing work by hand isn't that bad.

xerarch

Kava Curious
- Questions about instants, micronized and extracts, which have taken over the forums by storm since the last census.
Since that's the case, perhaps you could offer a "Less than 1 tablespoon" option under "Preparation > How many tablespoons of kava do you use for an average kava session?"

When using micro, my sessions are measured in teaspoons, not tablespoons.

A couple other ideas:

Under "Effects > Do you find kava helps with any of the following issues?"
I use kava for stress relief -- what about including "Stress" as one of the options?

Under "Effects > Have you experienced any of the following side effects with kava?"
What about including "Dry eyes" as one of the answers? I don't know if it effects many people, but it's a common side effect for me.

"Preparation > What temperature water do you make your kava with?"
Maybe a "Varies" or "It depends" option? For example, I use cold water for the first kneading, then do a second kneading with hot water. Something I learned from some of the folks on this forum...

Thank you for undertaking the census again, kavadude! I wasn't here for the last one. & will be curious to see the results.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
For sure. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do re: micronized, instants and powdered root, but there is going to be separate sections entirely for them.

I feel like anxiety covers stress.

Dry eyes is a good one, I definitely get that.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What about em? I already had a tudei question ("Do you think drinking tudei is safe?") on the last one, we're definitely going to keep that one.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Kava gives you tinnitus? That's a first, I think @nemo likes it in part because it helps his tinnitus.

I feel like kava headache is probably a result of dehydration, exacerbated by kava's diuretic effect but preventable. I'll add it anyways.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Interesting. Yeah, I definitely get the ol' ringin' in the ears when I've had a few shells. Am I the only one? I guess we'll find out.
No, at times, on a good Kava, I will get this ringing in my ears. Ill even add to it. I get this nut smell, in my brain, when I breath through my nose. Its a very lovely sensation. I wonder how many others have a ringing in there ears? Or a phantom like smell? For lack of better words. Much Love Roaddog....

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
No, at times, on a good Kava, I will get this ringing in my ears. Ill even add to it. I get this nut smell, in my brain, when I breath through my nose. Its a very lovely sensation. I wonder how many others have a ringing in there ears? Or a phantom like smell? For lack of better words. Much Love Roaddog....
That's interesting! I haven't had any phantom smells, but my olfactory system may be overloaded with the flavors and smells of the earthiness that is kava root. I get the ringing pretty much every time I drink it.

violet

Do all things with love
If I don't get the ringing I am a little disappointed.

I feel like stress and anxiety are two totally different things. Stress is usually an external factor, while anxiety is internal and can sometimes seem idiopathic in nature. One can cause the other and you can have both, but for many it is also one or the other.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
But stress is only problematic when you perceive it internally as the unpleasant feelings we term anxiety. Anxiety is a prerequisite for something to be considered stressful. Like if someone cuts you off in traffic or is rude to you, it's stressful and anxiogenic, even though it has caused you no lasting physical harm. So if drinking kava helps you deal with stress, it's because it helps you rightfully not care about those sorts of events by eliminating anxiety. In a poll about what people use kava for, it simplifies things to roll stress relief and anxiety together.

One thing's for sure and that is that I've had too much kava to figure this out and will revisit tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

How about adding tinnitus and headache as side effects? And nut milk bag as prep option?
Its a double edged sword for me. If i have a good drink of kava i can be well capable of hugging a Taipan...the world is beautifull but i need to understand my actions & surroundings are under kava time. I dont know if the kava helps the tinnitis or stops me caring about it. But yes somethimes i can notice the tinnitus increase with kava. We need to remember that Tinnitus can be vastly different between individuals, mine is from industrial,weapons & diving injuries so its a physical injury where as with others can be a stress issue. I have days when its simply not there & others that are very bad. My only reprieve is that ive had it so long ive sort of learned to ignore it to an extent.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I normally don't have any tinnitus, unless I've been to a death metal concert recently. Which is maybe once every month or two. When the kava feeling hits (at the 30-40 minute mark) it's usually the first thing I notice. Followed by warmth in the face-breast-chest-neck-and-head.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
heady kava ear ringing is pretty common and noted...perhaps it could be considered 'Transient tinnitus'.?