What's new

Kava Newcomer - needs help with start of journey

Makaveli

Kava Curious
Hello everyone,

It's been a while but I've overcome some pretty big obstacles and bad habits in my life. Through a lot of spiritual work and experiences wih sacred plants etc. I realised I do like 'feeling different' sometimes but want it to be natural.

Hence I arrived at Kava.

I have some coming tomorrow - Instant Kava and Magic Malekula. I ordered from someone who was easily capable of getting it to me here in the UK. They are a well known brand but the was a mixup which they took great care to rectify and am, ignoring the set back, probably satisfied with how its turned out.

To start my journey I will call an event - my friends wedding in 10 days time. Now in time I may appreciate the more deeper and subtler aspects of Kava but on this occasion - I do not want to drink alcohol!! Same time I do kinda want a more natural buzz.

I was hoping for some advice from memebers here that can help me prepare for this event where Kava can be companion instead.

I hope this is a great journey.

Thank you

BulaJones

My tongue is numb!
I am pretty new to kava, but I have found kava to be a good replacement for alcohol. It is a GABA-a antagonist similar to alcohol or benzos. This will relieve anxiety and induce a little euphoria. The nice thing about kava is you maintain mental clarity. I would still avoid driving as it does impact your motor skills.

My advice:
Check out the 'New to kava' documents in the top menu of this site.
Take it on an empty stomach to get the maximum effect.
Drink lots of water. Kava is a strong diuretic.
Don't mix with alcohol. Your liver is your friend.
You might want to take it for a few days before your party. Some mention a reverse tolerance with kava, meaning you might not feel the effects the first few times you drink it.
Don't overdo it. Too much kava can make you physically feel drunk. You will stumble around and even get the spins. This is really unpleasant since you are mentally sober.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@BulaJones that's some solid advice right there. Also kudos for cautioning against driving on kava. I feel like that may be something we don't talk about enough. Kava (depending on dosage) can and will impair you, and driving shouldn't be on the list of things to do.

Makaveli

Kava Curious
Thanks guys

Anyone else who has got any insightful advice as well I'm very grateful

I think I should start with the Instant Kava building up to my party... Perhaps a heaped tablespoon or so a night

Then as times goes in learn to 'knead' the root powder

How would I use it at a party? Drink a glass then keep a 'diluted' set in a flask for me top up as other go for their beers??

Thanks

BulaJones

My tongue is numb!
I found this to be a good kneading tutorial: . I still need to buy from this vendor.

There is kava candy. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be ideal in a party situation. You can also just prep a batch and bring it with you. I have some old growlers left from my drinking days that I am going to repurpose for kava.

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum @BulaJones! ::awesomesmiles:: There are a ton of us that have cut our alcohol consumption thanks to kava. I'm one of those and I've never been happier. :D Dude, you are in the right forum for sure.

Makaveli

Kava Curious
Thank people

Along with other things I'm hoping Kava will be a powerful addition into cutting alcohol out completely but also to enhance my life as well.

My first set of instant kava has arrived. Any ideas, tips or directions toward how best I should proceed?

jetsman21

Kava Curious
Thanks @BulaJones that video was very helpful! I've started using kava to reduce my anxiety and drink less also and so far so good. Don't think I've fully broken RT yet but every batch I make now is hitting me a little bit harder so I think I'm on the right track!

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Thank people

Along with other things I'm hoping Kava will be a powerful addition into cutting alcohol out completely but also to enhance my life as well.

My first set of instant kava has arrived. Any ideas, tips or directions toward how best I should proceed?
With instant, try 1 or 2 tsp in about 4 oz of water. Drink that mixture every 20 mins until desired effects.

Makaveli

Kava Curious
I've just had my first Kava!

Ok I had one large table spoon mixed with a small mug of warm water.

I put the kava (instant) in then the water, then stirred then used a handheld small electronic mixture and - knocked it quick as possible

Does anyone know how many grams 'roughly' will be in a tablespoon as I have 50g of instant

Also is this procedure correct and should I continue?

P.s. Does anyone else find that their first whiff of kava that it smelt a bit like p***y!!!

Makaveli

Kava Curious
Hello guys,

Let me know if I'm not supposed to paste this but I've had this today - http://www.globalkavaexports.com/quick-kava-sample-size-25gm

First timer and had a tablespoon stirred with warm water, now I've just had 2 teaspoons once again with warm water

I'm thinking if Kava even works is one thing, and if it does - does it require like 10-15 grams of instant for me to feel anything??!!

This bag of 50g might not last that long

Just chilling apart from that and would be grateful for any expert opinion

Thanks

Makaveli

Kava Curious
Ok thanks ...and as for the rest??

"First timer and had a tablespoon stirred with warm water, now I've just had 2 teaspoons once again with warm water

I'm thinking if Kava even works is one thing, and if it does - does it require like 10-15 grams of instant for me to feel anything??!!

This bag of 50g might not last that long

Just chilling apart from that and would be grateful for any expert opinion

Thanks"

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I sadly wouldn't know cause I don't use instants .. but you also may still be in the beggining stages. Kavas the weirdest herb I've ever encountered and still continues to suprise me ... some days it works some it doesn't .. idk haha

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yes lmao!... I also will toss and wash if I don't have the equipment haha. It really isn't a bother ... if I plan on drinking alot I just prepare a big batch and poor into a 2 litter. But I enjoy preparing it... it's like a ritual !

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
In fact I'm at work right meow.. and plan on preparing a teaspoon WOrth and drinking ever half hour or so and see it that gives me a different experience than just kneading 2 tablesloons and drinking right away