What's new

Kava paste

infraredz

BULA!
Regarding RT, based on Kava's strange mechanism of action, I have no doubt that there is some sort of strange pharmacological action going on, including sensitization (aka reverse tolerance).

That being said, I think the sensitization is compounded by the fact that so many people don't use the right preparation technique or the right kava in the beginning.
Sounds good. I'm interested to see what this stuff can do. Is the effect somewhat like a body buzz?
Depends on the cultivar (and the total kavalactone concentration, but importantly, the chemotype).
Therefore, you should read the reviews for the kava that you are interested in.

Since you bought Paradise Kava's Fijian, you would look here: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/forums/paradise-kava-product-reviews.61/

The effects are listed in the reviews, as well as our incredibly informative FAQ... http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/

Effects

The effects of Kava can be felt within 5 minutes, and last for about 3-5 hrs on average can be felt for up to eight hours. Some report longer-term effects, including a feeling of mental clarity, patience, and an ease of acceptance for days after ingestion.
Effects include:

One of the best properties of kava is that it relaxes and eases stress and anxiety but does not make one "loopy", "hazy" or in any way mentally impaired.
Kava has been demonstrated to be a very effective treatment for anxiety; equal to Buspirone and Opipramol and more effective than valerian or St. John's Wort, without the side effects associated with benzodiazepines such as tolerance and negative cognitive effects and sedation.

How does Kava Work?
See this thread for a general overview of how kava works and gives us the feeling we all love!
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/how-it-works-kava.1580/

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Sounds good. I'm interested to see what this stuff can do. Is the effect somewhat like a body buzz?
Well @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , for sure can give you great advice, on his products. We call him Chris. Great dude. Anyway, I ordered the AWA MAHAKEA Micronized kava, and its both heady and body. I find it to be a great run of the mill, place to start with micronized. But he has other, probably more harder hitting, and heady, if that's what your looking for. Which is not always what I want. I like my muscles to relax, after a hard days work, and still feel a nice heady feeling with that distinct Kava smell. That's what I'm looking for. I find all that with the AWA MAHAKEA Micronized kava. Like I said he has 5 or 6 too choose from

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I agree with him on that, I'm not really sure myself how much of it is real and how much of it is improper preparation/low dose/weak product. A lot of of us (about half) reported experiencing RT including myself so I think it is worth mentioning to people who are trying it out for the first time.
I agree. I felt it from day one. So did the wife. But I did my research first. I think the biggest beginner mistake, is taking it after eating. I learned as much about preparation, when to consume, health risks, all that, from day one. So I felt it as strong on day one, as I do tonight. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I agree with him on that, I'm not really sure myself how much of it is real and how much of it is improper preparation/low dose/weak product. A lot of of us (about half) reported experiencing RT including myself so I think it is worth mentioning to people who are trying it out for the first time.
Maybe @blindy107 or @BULABUCK or @Deleted User01 could come up with an "essential" drink recipe called "The RT". Instructions include: "You put the RT in the coconut and call me in the morning" :)

blindy107

Kava Lover
Intravenous kava ;)

Honestly I think what most suggest is probably the best. Amazon Fiji waka or a similar inexpensive kava root and just overdo it until something happens.

It took me over a month but i found that even in that time just the act of straining and kneading was a soothing post work ritual for me.

infraredz

BULA!
Intravenous kava ;)

Honestly I think what most suggest is probably the best. Amazon Fiji waka or a similar inexpensive kava root and just overdo it until something happens.

It took me over a month but i found that even in that time just the act of straining and kneading was a soothing post work ritual for me.
I would recommend very strongly against getting kava from amazon, eBay or the like

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Really? I thought Fiji waka from wakacon was tested out and found to be clean. Am I mistaken?
I think you're right on that, as far as the Fiji goes but I can't reference who said that right off hand...The Vanuatu from Wakacon was recently found to have tudei kava mixed in which explains the wildly different experience a few people had with this kind versus other Noble kavas, myself included.

I'd suggest, if you do buy their Fijian, to do your own acetone tests (if possible) and post results for us! It's possible sometimes they get good, clean kava and other times tudei spiked kava and are not quality checking.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, I have tested all 3 kavas on Amazon. They all passed the test. I use a lot of there kavas. The brown bag Vanuata, from mind&mood kicks ass. It also tested Nobel. But first and for most you must try some kavas from our trusted venders, they rock. Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

KevinJames

Kava Curious
Well day 3 of trying this stuff at night. Steeped 2 tablespoons. I think I have the Fiji Kava from Paradise?
I steeped the stuff (2 TBSP) for a few hours, then blended, then strained through the strainer bag I bought from Paradise. Drank it down. Nothing.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Well day 3 of trying this stuff at night. Steeped 2 tablespoons. I think I have the Fiji Kava from Paradise?
I steeped the stuff (2 TBSP) for a few hours, then blended, then strained through the strainer bag I bought from Paradise. Drank it down. Nothing.
Are you talking about paste or Paradise's Fiji kava powder ? If it's kava powder, 2 tablespoons is a very low dose for most people and you probably need to start using more. If you're new to kava, you should expect that it may not work it's best until you put some more time into it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Steeping is entirely unnecessary. Blending/kneading for 5-10 minutes is.

Yes, I understand the reverse tolerance thing. I thought 2 TBSP was the standard dosage?
Not at all. Some (@Vekta ::madmadfacez::) use 2tbsp per session, others (me) use more like 8-10. Do not be afraid to add a tbsp or two per session if you aren't getting effects.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Haha, well if you're lucky you won't need that much after you break through RT. I am definitely a hardhead.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
8 - 10 TBSP? The bag was $50
So, I guess, if this works out, it's going to be an expensive hobby eh?
That is an expensive one. And expensive doesn't necessarily correlate to better or stronger in every case. (Although Paradise is good stuff)
I also use about 8 TBSP per session. There are more affordable options you might wanna start with like Bula Kava House's Boroguru & Borogu. Kava By Rex's Fiji and Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Boroguru. If you wanna try lighter stuff, Rex's Tongan and Kava Boy's Tongan are more affordable and good in a different way.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Steeping is entirely unnecessary. Blending/kneading for 5-10 minutes is....
+1 some form of agitation is key. Some people use the traditional knead and squeeze, some use blenders, others just shake the crap out of it in a glass jar. Heat also helps too.
You might find this interesting from The Kavapedia. It's a little confusing to figure out his table, but once you do you'll understand what he is saying about the effects of heat and agitation.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Steeping in hot water for a period of time has been find to possibly help once you begin the kneading process to break the kavalactones away from the root but other than that probably doesn't do too much.
As far as heat goes it's still up in the air on exactly what temperature is best to extract the most kavalactones or what temperature begins to degrade kavalactones given how few studies have been done on this.
In addition to the helpful article HeadHodge has posted, this should at least give an idea of the possible temps (don't take my word for it) .
To give you a hint that pretty hot temps (definitely more than warm but not dangerous) shouldn't hurt the grog when kneading; I've made chocolate chip cookies with kava baked at 350° f that seemed to have an effect after being in the oven for 9-10 min but I've only made them once and don't want to come to conclusions until I make them again. :D

KevinJames

Kava Curious
Well I have several rides on the kava train. Last time I did 7 TBSP and felt nothing. After a while, drinking 2 cups of this stuff makes you feel kind of ill. Not puking ill, just from consuming that much dirt water. It's not economically viable as far as a buzz is concerned. To have to use 10 TBSP out of a LB that costs $50 is ridiculous.

I mean I'm not a hard head either. Usually the smallest amount of something kicks my ass. I don't get it.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well I have several rides on the kava train. Last time I did 7 TBSP and felt nothing. After a while, drinking 2 cups of this stuff makes you feel kind of ill. Not puking ill, just from consuming that much dirt water. It's not economically viable as far as a buzz is concerned. To have to use 10 TBSP out of a LB that costs $50 is ridiculous.

I mean I'm not a hard head either. Usually the smallest amount of something kicks my ass. I don't get it.
Now your absolutely positive your taking kava on an empty stomach? If so maybe there is something to this reverse tolerance thing. I don't know. I use 6 or 8 teaspoons and I get double vision. I would suggest getting a couple bags of cheap Amazon kava, and use the shit out of it. That should break ya through for cheap. Just an idea. Much love. Roaddog....