What's new

Kava ..Take One

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In regards to eating afterwards, yes. Fatty foods tend to increase it's absorption. One strange thing I've found about certain foods is that if I eat fried chicken before (and it seems like any time before) it will kill kavas effect nearly entirely.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Kapm

Breweries have known for years that acidic foods/ drinks cause dialiation of digestional capilliaries = faster absorbtion of booze. That's why the majority of drinks are highly acidic. Carbonation of drinks increases acidity dramatically. There's a reason people get loopy on champaign and wobbly-pops.

I don't eat meat, but I suspect that fried chicken might constrict those same capillaries. Perhaps it is alkaline.

Given that we know that an empty stomach = krunk, we can posit that kava needs direct access to the digestive tract. Therefore you'd want to be eating foods that act as a catalyst, and open up circulation.

If anyone feels like drinking some pepto bismal to see if that completely negates the effect would be interesting to know. Although potentially a waste of good kava.

Your best bet is the polynesian way of fruit post kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Carbonated kava.....I could only imagine the wretchedness of your burps would be increased ten fold.

Makes sense though. I'm going to have to try something acidic beforehand to see if I can tell a marked difference.

violet

Do all things with love
If anyone feels like drinking some pepto bismal to see if that completely negates the effect would be interesting to know.
Just my n=1, but I've downed it a couple of times out of desperation to rid myself of kava-induced nausea. It didn't seem to have any affect at all on the kava's effects. It didn't relieve my nausea either.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I think the order should be first pepto then kava for the pepto to 'maybe' cancel out the kava

Are you sure the nausea isn't cerebral? Not sure if pepto would help.

D

Deactivated Account

I always chew a few Mylanta chewables anout 30 mins before hitting the nakamals. Seems to help me. I will also have one in the morning with my Berocca (soluable vit B).

Greasy food straight after for me ( i mean a large pizza to myself) will easily see me driving the porcelain bus.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Ohhhh man. I just primed with some ginger candy and finished with some ginger ale.

Then I brushed my teeth for like, 20 minutes. No idea what I was doing. Super stoned right now. Could 9.

Loose evidence of the acid effect. I honestly can't handle any more!

D

Deactivated Account

Ohhhh man. I just primed with some ginger candy and finished with some ginger ale.

Then I brushed my teeth for like, 20 minutes. No idea what I was doing. Super stoned right now. Could 9.

Loose evidence of the acid effect. I honestly can't handle any more!
Champion !

D

Deleted User01

Headhodge, I love your ice tea story. I don't drink at lunch because it lives with me all afternoon but a spoon full of Kava in the ice tea might be the ticket. Take the edge off of a workday afternoon. I see a lot of postings about nausea and I have never gotten nausea from Kava. Think about this, I take my 3-4 oz of Kava in 30 minute increments. So the effects built slowly but surely and there is less shock to my system. Also, I know immediately when I have had enough. There is no need to get brutally krunked once you are feeling pretty good. Except maybe on Sat. nites ....:D

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
My first feeling from kava had some not so nice after effects ..my head felt kinda fuzzy for a day after and my throat is killing me ..that could be all unrelated ..I'm gonna give it another go but kinda disheartened me