What's new

Kava while training for marathon / ironman

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I have always loved running, cycling and swimming.
My plan is to run a marathon this spring.
One day I would also like to train for an ironman.

How would kava fit into a training-routine like this? Are there any serious runners or any other serious sport related in here who have tried it?

EDIT: I only use kava for sleep at nighttime! Not before physical activity!

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I've been a runner most of my life (no marathons though). Also I do a lot of lifting.

Kava makes me too lazy for it to be of any use for me before anything physical, even in small amounts. Maybe that's just me.

I do find kava very useful when my muscles are tight and stiff, and sore the next day. A good bit of
the blessed root REALLY relaxes the muscles and soothes and loosens them. Feels great! I've gotten much relief
from kava when used this way.

I've also used kava right after a workout. Meh. Feels OK, but doesn't do much for me overall. Just doesn't seem to "fit".
I'd rather drink a protein shake.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I've been a runner most of my life (no marathons though). Also I do a lot of lifting.

Kava makes me too lazy for it to be of any use for me before anything physical, even in small amounts. Maybe that's just me.

I do find kava very useful when my muscles are tight and stiff, and sore the next day. A good bit of
the blessed root REALLY relaxes the muscles and soothes and loosens them. Feels great! I've gotten much relief
from kava when used this way.

I've also used kava right after a workout. Meh. Feels OK, but doesn't do much for me overall. Just doesn't seem to "fit".
I'd rather drink a protein shake.
I second that!
How about training the morning after a night's kava-drinking? What are your experiences about that?

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I actually do that pretty much once a week. I like to drink kava on Friday evenings, and then I usually go to the
gym and lift Saturday late morning. I feel a little sluggish when lifting, but not enough to really hinder anything.
It lowers my stamina slightly, and largely that's mental, not so much physical.

It's not *much* of a hindrance, but it is a little noticeable. It's certainly better than drinking alcohol in the same scenario!!

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I'm going to weigh in here. If you want to run a Marathon for grins, then Kava is no problem. If you want to be a world class athlete, then any drug of any strength is a problem. I'm been in athletics all my life and I fooled myself by thinking otherwise. But doing a Marathon so you can check it off your bucket list, you'll be fine. And by the way, if you finiish the Marathon, I want to hear all the gory details ... and they will be gory. :eek: But as we get older, my buddies and I have a saying, "any run is a good run". :D

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I would consider myself a high level amateur triathlete. I've completed 3 Ironmans in good time, although that distance isn't my fortay. I've qualified for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship three times, including this year. I drink 2-4 shells of kava about five times per week. I don't drink before a serious workout, but after is fine and doesn't affect me the next day in any noticeable way. Go for it!

D

Deleted User01

@Judd Rench, iff you completed 3 Ironman competitions, and if you drank kava during the 2 weeks before the event, then I would concede that Kava has no effect. Hell, I might even concede that Kava is a good pre-game warmup. And that is a good thing! Honey .... get my tennis shoes out and make me some grog for the "the road". :D

P.S. And Cudos to you for doing 3 ironman's no matter where you placed. I get tired just watching them on TV. :rolleyes:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench, iff you completed 3 Ironman competitions, and if you drank kava during the 2 weeks before the event, then I would concede that Kava has no effect. Hell, I might even concede that Kava is a good pre-game warmup. And that is a good thing! Honey .... get my tennis shoes out and make me some grog for the "the road". :D

P.S. And Cudos to you for doing 3 ironman's no matter where you placed. I get tired just watching them on TV. :rolleyes:
I usually stay away from any intoxicants for about two days pre race. but that's just me being paranoid. Many high level racers I know will even have a beer or two the night before a race to calm the nerves. During training, kava really can be nice after a tough session to ease muscle tension. It really can be good for athletes. That being said, about a year ago I had three strong shells about an hour before a Crossfit workout and puked all over the place about halfway through. It's a post workout drink, not pre. I have a friend who works in sports management and branding who thinks marketing a version of my upcoming bottled kava to endurance athletes would be a good way to go.

Thanks for the kudos. Training for long distance triathlon really does take over an athlete's life. And going that far definitely requires dedication and developing a serious pain threshold. I don't normally flaunt personal accomplishments, but what I've been able to do in triathlon definitely makes me proud. Ironman personal record is 10:36 on a tough course, which is in about the top 5%, so I'm no slouch.

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I would consider myself a high level amateur triathlete. I've completed 3 Ironmans in good time, although that distance isn't my fortay. I've qualified for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship three times, including this year. I drink 2-4 shells of kava about five times per week. I don't drink before a serious workout, but after is fine and doesn't affect me the next day in any noticeable way. Go for it!
I have been running marathons for around 3 years, and consuming kava weekly around 1-3 times throughout that time, I average around 50 miles per week in my training. I do not consume any kava the night before a long run mainly due to stomach issues and dehydration, a long run for me is anything above 8 miles. I avoid caffeinated food and drinks and also drink around 1 gallon of fluids daily. I have completed around 40 marathons/half-marathons all while drinking kava during my training, and it has helped my recover from injury and rest after high intensity workouts. I have found very few negatives to drinking kava while training, it is a much better alternative to things like ibuprofen for inflammation which will upset the stomach and cause constipation if taken frequently while training. I should also mention I do not consume kava 1 week before major races, and I don't consume alcohol at all.
But I think I need kava the night before these races in order to calm the nerves. It would be a disaster with no sleep before a marathon.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
But I think I need kava the night before these races in order to calm the nerves. It would be a disaster with no sleep before a marathon.
A single serving probably wouldn't affect you negatively, but yes, try it first.