What's new

Kava works better with food in your stomach?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
you're in the minority if this is the case for you, but i think i've seen a couple other people mention over the years.
most of us here will tell you the opposite. in vanuatu everyone made sure to tell me not to eat before.
the general consensus was to not eat after lunch so your stomach was neither too full or too empty.

i personally tried to drink kava a couple hours after thanksgiving last year and would say the effects were diminished by about 60-70%. likewise, when i was in tanna my hosts wanted me to eat dinner, so i obliged, i then drank a whole water bottle full of tanna kava + one shell. that kava is known to take peoples legs after 2 or 3 shells...i was very functional though, because of the previous food. it still worked, it just lacked the pleasantly overwhelming sensation one would normally attribute to such doses of strong fresh tanna kava.
::chugger::

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I drink Kava all the time, whenever I can. But yes, it hits me harder (better) on an empty stomach. That being said, most things will do that. I also feel it after I've eaten. I just like the clean Kava feeling you get on an empty stomach.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
In the Pacific kava countries people habitually have their meal after kava, not before.
If your stomach is full of food, or even part full, the kava is "competing" with the food for absorption through your intestinal lining. The kava will get into your blood, but with a slower release so the effect is less.
On an empty stomach you get the full impact within 5 minutes or so.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I get nauseous if I don't have just a little bit of food before having micronized. The effects are definitely diminished significantly after a full meal. I do however like to have a hardboiled egg or a little bit of cheese before taking kava, the effects are still pretty much full on and I don't get the nausea. If I do it on a completely empty stomach, it tweaks it a bit. That's with micronized though. With medium grind, finely strained, I can do it on an empty stomach no problem. But I prefer micronized for the more "sharp" and full-on effect that it provides. That and I'm lazy. ;-P

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I See. Maybe I just feel BETTER eating before having kava. As sometimes kava can have funny effects on my stomach. It might be that I have subconsciously equated a more normalized stomach with a more effective kava experience.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
There is too much junk in this house this time of year. Hard to walk buy gourmet cookies and not snatch one up, each time you walk by lol. I definitely nibbled too much yesterday afternoon as I diminished effects of the root. Before dinner session had only taken me 3/4 of the way there. No more nibbling after lunch for me.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
If I am starving to the point that it hurts and I feel shaky and weak, the kava will make me nauseous. In those situations, I'll eat a small piece of fruit or about three bites of something before kava.
My ideal session starts with four or more hours of fasting prior to kava consumption.

Kava_Lavar

Kava Curious
Definitely not the case for me. For me to have good effects I need a good 8 hours of sleep and drink in the morning when I get up without food. I will wait to have food 2-3 hours after and I get a a nice feeling. After my first meal drinking anymore kava seems like a waste as I don't benefit much at all.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Over time I've personally found a very fine line when it comes to the amount of food in your stomach and being able to sleep after kava. If I skip dinner, and drink kava I can almost guarantee I skip a solid night's sleep. I can tell when this is going to happen when I can literally feel the kava hit my stomach. As long as I have a little food in my stomach, as in having eaten in the last 4 hours, the kava hits just fine, and I'm able to sleep. For some reason when I drink kava on a completely empty stomach the experience can be a bit jagged in terms of stimulation, even if I'm drinking a heavy variety.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
For me, eating takes the edge off of the jittery effects as well. No matter what, I won't sleep for 3-4 hours after I've finished my session due to the paradoxical jittery/heavy feeling.

Edit: I've accidentally fallen asleep from kava only one time ever. Kava doesn't help me fall asleep at all. It just seems to make sleep more productive and restful. It helps me heal and recharge.

KavaCat

Meow.
I agree with most everyone's analysis. An empty stomach, in the regards that you need to have abstained from food for a couple hours, and not eaten anything too heavy? Definitely a must for the best experience. Ravenous hunger that's been gnawing for hours, and then drinking kava? Always gives me some nausea. Yeah, the effects are stronger, but not THAT much stronger. I often use the metho of letting myself get very very hungry, have the kava, and immediately chase it with a snack, with a portion about the size of my thumb, or so. Like a small stick of cheese or a dozen goldfish or oyster crackers. A quarter of an apple. Most of these range from 100-200 calories, to given an idea. Works really well.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Food after kava though, let me tell you.

Sooooooooooooo relaxed right now, still taking my time to let you guys know what's in the photo and now in my belly.
Crispy skin duck breast, fingerling and truffle mash (with an egg cause I didn't have dairy, worked eggcellent.) and flat leaf parsley.
The Effects I get from the kava after eating, are different. More of a heavy-headiness.
Trying to think of one thing that stresses me out or worries me. Not possible.
To clarify, I first had like 3 "shells" of 12 yr old Fijian laterals on an empty stomach.
Then, an hour later or so, I ate the photo.
The food in the photo.