What's new

Liver concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
Can anyone settle my anxiety about liver damage caused by kava? I realize that only certified noble root should be consumed but i just want some reassurance.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Plus there's thousands of years of kava culture on the south pacific islands, with no (bona fide) reported cases of liver damages. That's proof enough for me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I drink on average 3L of grog every day for the past year and both my liver and kidneys have been thoroughly checked and are completely OK. I mean blood tests, X-Rays and MRI. But I can only warrant trad prepped medium grind, root + water.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
My liver has actually improved on kava with the exception of when my multivitamins were poisoning me. Once I stopped those, liver improved and I never did stop Kava aside from a day or two here and there.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Just don't mix it with anything like alcohol or Tylenol and you will be fine. And drink lots of water. Probably the biggest potential risk to your body is dehydration since it's a strong diuretic

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
This is actually the most concerning thing, drinking kava that was purchased from a local magic shop. :confused: :D
The only reason I purchased from them is because I was waiting for Kava in the mail. I am recently quitting alcohol and feel like I need kava daily

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Just don't mix it with anything like alcohol or Tylenol and you will be fine. And drink lots of water. Probably the biggest potential risk to your body is dehydration since it's a strong diuretic
I second this so hard. I'm about 99.9 percent sure the one awful Kava experience under my belt was because I didn't hydrate enough. Felt like a mini flu. My strategy is usually to drink a lot of water ~45 minutes beforehand and start drinking more several minutes after I've drank all of it (don't want to dilute it in my stomach).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I second this so hard. I'm about 99.9 percent sure the one awful Kava experience under my belt was because I didn't hydrate enough. Felt like a mini flu. My strategy is usually to drink a lot of water ~45 minutes beforehand and start drinking more several minutes after I've drank all of it (don't want to dilute it in my stomach).
Back in the old days, when I would only drink kava at night and got krunk a lot, I would make sure to hydrate well all day long (and stop eating by 4 pm) but even so, when I was drinking kava in the evening I also drank extra water then, as well.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I just get gassy easily and at the wrong times really obnoxiously so, that bean-zyme stuff helps a bit though. Then it ruins my digestion somewhat, otherwise besides a weird feeling I get in my nose after consuming some I don't have any issues (I'm actually getting it less now with the funky scent that gets stuck up there and a dry nose after drinking, maybe it's some sort of reaction when your body isn't used to it? I dunno, just mildly irritating). Just don't eat a lot after you drank some, your belly will not be happy. I don't really have much of a desire to eat right after I drink anyways, kava is filling to me as it is. I get down a little snack and that does it for me.

I would the next biggest thing is keeping hydrated, I still haven't found out how to perfect that yet with how much i should drink after kava and when. Sometimes I can accidentally give myself a headache. Though I always hydration issues and that's no stranger to me especially when it gets warmer outside. Outside a lot on my feet every day and it uses a lot of my fluids in addition to coffee drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.