What's new

melo melo

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
This kava seems a LOT different than I remember, this isn't a bad thing, but has anyone else noticed it's much more... Heavy and muscle relaxing?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hey man, yes it is different. For me, it's just quite potent, when it was always fairly light before. We just had this batch HPLC tested for kavalactones, and also for flavokavains and although I'm waiting for the CoAs to be sent over, I was told the results over the phone. Older batches tested at around 8% kavalactones, whereas this one was about 10.5%, which is pretty dang high. Chemotype I believe was 243xxx, which means it shouldn't be too heavy on the physical side, but different it is.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Hey man, yes it is different. For me, it's just quite potent, when it was always fairly light before. We just had this batch HPLC tested for kavalactones, and also for flavokavains and although I'm waiting for the CoAs to be sent over, I was told the results over the phone. Older batches tested at around 8% kavalactones, whereas this one was about 10.5%, which is pretty dang high. Chemotype I believe was 243xxx, which means it shouldn't be too heavy on the physical side, but different it is.
I enjoy it quite a bit. I needed something a little more on this side of the spectrum. I was going to get this and then something heavier when I dug in a bit, but I may just order more of this instead lol, does the trick just fine.

KavaCat

Meow.
I just came by the forum to say that I'd had a friend, whose first bag of kava, was bula's melomelo. He had a very hard time motivating himself to drink it, because of the taste and effort, so I swapped him another kava (micro) for what was left. I believe he got this batch back in mid-2014, but even as a now-experienced kava drinker, I have had a very hard time drinking it. Even for kava, the taste is absolutely ATROCIOUS. Hands down the worst kava I have had, and I now understand why he couldn't get into kava (although he certainly is now, after he's had the micro). I even tried cutting it into another bag of melomelo, which I got from elsewhere, to no avail. Still just the worst. This is the kind of kava that gives kava its bad rep in the taste department. I've tried eight to ten different kavas now, and it's definitely #1 for worst taste. Like, I can't even get over how bad this stuff is.

Now, its effects are fine! I want to emphasize that the effects are good. But as of tonight, I had my first ever true kava-heave, that didn't involve heated/ thickened kava (which had a slimy texture). After about two shells, my gag reflex had just had enough, and I spewed everywhere. The only thing that came close to tasting as bad as this particular kava, was the first bag of kava I ever bought: wakacon's vanuatu, the cheapest crap-kava on amazon. That's pretty bad too, but I was able to get it all down. This is the first time I've not been able to get a kava down. I threw it out. Sigh. I'm sorry; I wish BKH the best of luck, but I am not having a good experience with these products. I'm hoping it's just terrible luck and a really gross tasting batch that will improve next time.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@KavaCat Sorry the taste isn't to your liking. Melo Melo and Boroguru supplies were both affected bu the cyclone and our ability to procure them moving forward is in doubt. We hope to be replacing them with a kava from Tanna, and another from Ambae, We also have a really great new Solomon Islands kava. I hate that you threw out your unused Melo. If you see another kava you'd like to try send me an email at [email protected] and I'll create you a personal discount code to help make up for it.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
So bula kava kavas taste is on the extreme end. How ever they were my first experience with good kava and hold a special place in my heart. The melo and Kodiak have both put me in a place close to nodding off lol.....very potent! Taste is very strong but so are effects. Different tools for different jobs. Wanna relax, play some piano and feel great grab a Tongan, Fijian or Hawaiian from a well known vendor. Wanna get rooted to the couch or achieve euphoria.......grab some koniak, Melo melo, or nambawan!

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
That Solomon's is pretty easy going in the taste dept. Make it with room temp water then stick it in the fridge and it won't be bad at all. Pretty tame stuff, comparatively. Good to great effects also. drinking a lighter, second wash batch now and the taste is barely there. I've found pouring a capful or two of lemon juice in bad tasting kava really knocks down the gag-inducing part of the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.