What's new

Melomelo

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
Who sells this kava? I know Chris has some he is going to sell soon, but I have never been able to find it. I hear a lot about it but never see it for sale. What’s it like? I want to try it!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's similar to other common Vanuatu stuff like Borogu/Borogoru. I've probably had it from about 3 different vendors and none were identical in the balance of effects and potency...but all were very Vanuatuan in scent. (This also assumes that when you buy melomelo, it actually is melomelo.

I haven't seen anyone sell it alone for a couple years, but if you've ever had N@H's kava or anyone that resells John Fordham's Klin Kava, then you've likely had a mixture of melomelo and borogoru.

PepperyPyrone

It's similar to other common Vanuatu stuff like Borogu/Borogoru. I've probably had it from about 3 different vendors and none were identical in the balance of effects and potency...but all were very Vanuatuan in scent. (This also assumes that when you buy melomelo, it actually is melomelo.

I haven't seen anyone sell it alone for a couple years, but if you've ever had N@H's kava or anyone that resells John Fordham's Klin Kava, then you've likely had a mixture of melomelo and borogoru.
Thanks, this explains a lot. Would you consider it somewhere between borogu and borogoru? Are the effects like the name implies? Mellow mellow. Borogu gets me wired but has a calming effect later. I love me some black sand!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My understanding of the melomelo coming from at least one vendor is that it is not a fine grind, tastes piney but in a very pleasant and sweet way, gives a first impression of being "weak" but isn't, makes you feel very good and very mellow but also quite sociable and very attuned to people you are with, on several levels. The effects are somewhat sublime and exquisite, and not a sledgehammer. Or at least, this is what I have heard. Closest thing in effect, though not taste, would be leka hina.

It's one of the great ironies of life that the most potent aphrodisiac kava ever will become available three days after I lose erectile function for the next year and possibly/probably forever. But I've been reading about oral sex and hear good things about it. Only question is how to talk a woman into it. Wait, I know, just give her a few shells of melomelo, and, if need be, whimper and beg. I hear making out first helps.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Thanks, this explains a lot. Would you consider it somewhere between borogu and borogoru? Are the effects like the name implies? Mellow mellow. Borogu gets me wired but has a calming effect later. I love me some black sand!
One of them had a super strong 'zingy' pepper/pine smell...but the effects seemed relatively mild, but good, similar BKH Borogu or KWK Borogu, with no edge to it. But whether or not I get an edginess from certain kavas usually depends on my personal anxiety level/susceptiblity at the time.

Another MeloMelo I had was extremely bitter and lingering in flavor. It was extremely potent and on some nights, it took me on quite a ride. I think that one was mixed with Tudei. In general, I enjoyed it, but at my dosage it certainly wasn't mellow. It would have probably too extreme for new comers or people expecting a mild tea experience.

The other one I had was more like the first one, but slightly stronger...slightly fuller. So maybe Black Sand would be a good comparison.

I'm not sure if I had any fresh melomelo in Vanuatu, but did go to an Ambae nakamal and I think Ambae largely produces Melomelo. So there's a good chance that is what the serve there. It was great daily drinking kava.

Also; If you've ever had Solomon Islands kava, the vast majority of their root is from Melomelo and Borogu clones from Vanuatu.

Last edited:

PepperyPyrone

One of them had a super strong 'zingy' pepper/pine smell...but the effects seemed relatively mild, but good, similar BKH Borogu or KWK Borogu, with no edge to it. But whether or not I get an edginess from certain kavas usually depends on my personal anxiety level/susceptiblity at the time.

Another MeloMelo I had was extremely bitter and lingering in flavor. It was extremely potent and on some nights, it took me on quite a ride. I think that one was mixed with Tudei. In general, I enjoyed it, but at my dosage it certainly wasn't mellow. It would have probably too extreme for new comers or people expecting a mild tea experience.

The other one I had was more like the first one, but slightly stronger...slightly fuller. So maybe Black Sand would be a good comparison.

I'm not sure if I had any fresh melomelo in Vanuatu, but did go to an Ambae nakamal and I think Ambae largely produces Melomelo. So there's a good chance that is what the serve there. It was great daily drinking kava.

Also; If you've ever had Solomon Islands kava, the vast majority of their root in from Melomelo and Borogu clones from Vanuatu.
Thanks! Sounds like a Borogu divergence to me. Yeah Solomon Island kava from N@H is heady-wired overkill, I still have the half pound. Sometimes I will mix it in with others to wake me up during the day. It’s like a strong coffee. Gives me the jitters. Great information.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
IIRC (it's been a long time!) MeloMelo was the first kava that I got krunked on. Can't remember where I purchased it from, but I absolutely loved the stuff.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
So I guess it's pretty safe to assume (though admittedly still an assumption), that since every vendor is suddenly getting Melomelo all at the same time, that they're all getting it from the same source. So the only difference will probably be the price. I suppose I'll buy the one that's the cheapest, even if they only undercut by a dollar. :D

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
So I guess it's pretty safe to assume (though admittedly still an assumption), that since every vendor is suddenly getting Melomelo all at the same time, that they're all getting it from the same source. So the only difference will probably be the price. I suppose I'll buy the one that's the cheapest, even if they only undercut by a dollar. :D
Haha, it does seem a strange coincidence since no one has been able to get any for years. I've been trying very hard for a couple years now. But its actually based around circumstance. Normally they consume most of the Melomelo supply domestically as it is a prized variety. Since the volcano went off on Ambae (and is possibly getting ready to go again) a lot of crops were damaged from the ash and are having to be harvested so there's been a small surplus which farmers are finally letting go to export. I can't speak for anyone else but I met with farmers on Ambae about a month and a half ago and arranged our shipment direct.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Oh No. I hadn't heard that yet. Here's the update from the Daily Post today. http://dailypost.vu/news/update-on-...cle_b0a3997c-2459-59ce-a0ed-eefbca383893.html Sad for the people of the island. I guess there will be more melomelo available and then none for another 3-5 years.
It's sad that they're going through such a disaster. Selling off all that kava is literally like tapping into a savings account for them. Plus, damaged plants will die if they're not harvested so they may as well dig what they've got. In a roundabout way, purchasing Ambae kava helps fund recovery from the volcano. So as long as it was purchased for a fair price I wouldn't feel too bad about drinking it. Just remember where it came from, and pause for a moment out of respect.

I sure hope they've got safe nurseries or family on other islands to preserve melomelo as a cultivar.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
There's a lot of melomelo on Maewo too, hopefully they will continue to avoid any serious windblown ashfall. Farmers on Ambae are even having to sell off their cattle as there is less and less for them to graze - no end in sight yet.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk