What's new

Micronized vs instant

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Which is better? I am patiently waiting on my 11 year waka order but now want to place some more orders. I am a beginner and don't want to do the kneading and prep. So which is better for effects? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Which is better? I am patiently waiting on my 11 year waka order but now want to place some more orders. I am a beginner and don't want to do the kneading and prep. So which is better for effects? Thanks

Micronized will be a bit stronger due to consuming the ground whole root (minus macas in some instances), and instant is easier to drink with less stomach and intestinal discomfort.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

Hey there. Were you able to get your 11 Year order in before we sold out? We ran out a few days ago but hope to get restocked soon.

To answer your question, it's important to know the difference between micro and instant. Micronized kava is extremely finely ground kava root. When it's done right, it stays pretty well suspended in water but won't dissolve. Our instant kava is done by taking the fresh, undried kava root, grinding it, and doing a water extraction. The resulting super potent kava liquid is then dehydrated. It's an expensive and time consuming process, but our instant can't be beat.

You should try both. As @Kapmcrunk pointed out, they have different features. I personally prefer instant because ours tastes like you're drinking kava made from fresh root, which is nearly impossible over here on the mainland US. The 11 Year Waka is our biggest seller though. You really can't get a better quality micro, especially when considering the cost.

I'd also be remiss not to mention that making kava the traditional way with kneading and squeezing is really nice for feeling a connection with kava's history and culture. It's super easy and will save you money compared to instant and micronized. It's always nice to have some instant on hand for when you're short on time or motivation, but I recommend doing some kava lomi lomi at some point.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Judd

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Hey there. Were you able to get your 11 Year order in before we sold out? We ran out a few days ago but hope to get restocked soon.

To answer your question, it's important to know the difference between micro and instant. Micronized kava is extremely finely ground kava root. When it's done right, it stays pretty well suspended in water but won't dissolve. Our instant kava is done by taking the fresh, undried kava root, grinding it, and doing a water extraction. The resulting super potent kava liquid is then dehydrated. It's an expensive and time consuming process, but our instant can't be beat.

You should try both. As @Kapmcrunk pointed out, they have different features. I personally prefer instant because ours tastes like you're drinking kava made from fresh root, which is nearly impossible over here on the mainland US. The 11 Year Waka is our biggest seller though. You really can't get a better quality micro, especially when considering the cost.

I'd also be remiss not to mention that making kava the traditional way with kneading and squeezing is really nice for feeling a connection with kava's history and culture. It's super easy and will save you money compared to instant and micronized. It's always nice to have some instant on hand for when you're short on time or motivation, but I recommend doing some kava lomi lomi at some point.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Judd
Thanks. Yes I ordered just before you sold out. It should be coming today I hope. Next order I think I will try both. Maybe medium grind someday but sounds like a lot of work! I want easy. Lol

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks. Yes I ordered just before you sold out. It should be coming today I hope. Next order I think I will try both. Maybe medium grind someday but sounds like a lot of work! I want easy. Lol

You may find overtime, that kneading kava has a therapeutic effect and It becomes a welcomed ritual.

Welcome to KF.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

And it really isn't that much work. I find kneading kava less annoying than making a pot of drip coffee.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

When I started I started with microgrinds. Super easy, convenient, and easy to control dosage when you are new...all good things for a beginner. That being said traditional prep is easier than it sounds. You really can't screw it up. At worst it will be more or less potent based on your method...but only by minor amounts. Good luck!

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thanks everyone..this forum is great. So I have ordered 11 year waka, the micro sample pack from GHK and Nene instant from GHK. I wanted to get GHK's instant sample pack as well but it was sold out. Think I should have some good ones to start with. My 11 year waka is supposed to arrive today so tonight will be my first time trying kava! Will try not to eat past noon!

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thanks everyone..this forum is great. So I have ordered 11 year waka, the micro sample pack from GHK and Nene instant from GHK. I wanted to get GHK's instant sample pack as well but it was sold out. Think I should have some good ones to start with. My 11 year waka is supposed to arrive today so tonight will be my first time trying kava! Will try not to eat past noon!

So disappointed! I got a notification from UPS yesterday saying it was on truck and would be delivered...never came then today I got one say it has been delivered and it never came. No kava for me this wknd :(

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
So disappointed! I got a notification from UPS yesterday saying it was on truck and would be delivered...never came then today I got one say it has been delivered and it never came. No kava for me this wknd :(

Thats harsh, sorry to hear that.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thats harsh, sorry to hear that.
And I placed an order a couple days ago with GHK and just checked the status and it says "oh hold"...is that normal? Funds came off my card as soon as I placed the order. I am not having much luck!

kavagirl37

Kava Curious

I got my 11 year waka and just tried my first shell. I only did 1.5 teaspoons in 8 oz water with a splash of milk. Got the mouth numbness going on right now. Will see how I feel in a half hour and maybe do another 1.5 teaspoons. Taste wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Peppery but I didnt think it was gross at all.
Certainly not as gross as a shot of booze. Lol

WaltonGroggins

a.k.a. "Kount Grogula"
I got my 11 year waka and just tried my first shell. I only did 1.5 teaspoons in 8 oz water with a splash of milk. Got the mouth numbness going on right now. Will see how I feel in a half hour and maybe do another 1.5 teaspoons. Taste wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Peppery but I didnt think it was gross at all.
Certainly not as gross as a shot of booze. Lol

I've found that my minimum effective dose for KWK's instant Pouni Ono is 2tsp, and that GHK's micro Mahakea works better with 3tsp.

Kalm's label suggested 2-4tsp, so I decided to stay within that dose for my instants/micros, and I've never felt the need for more than 3Tbsp per day (three 2-3tsp doses).
YMMV, of course

Early on I liked to start the day with 2tsp of Pouni Ono, then have two 3tsp shells of Mahakea after work, spaced 20-30 min apart.

Hope this helps you find your sweet spot as quickly as I did, but have fun experimenting!

Last edited:

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thanks...I just did another 1.5 teaspoons a half hour later. So 1 tablespoon total. Prob erring on the side of caution but I have read this stuff is potent and I dont want to overdo it. How long do you typically wait between doses?

WaltonGroggins

a.k.a. "Kount Grogula"
Oh I see 20-30 minutes. I can feel a weird sensation in my head. Is that what heady means?

It's a bit subjective, but I use "heady" to describe effects on the mind and "heavy" to describe effects on the body.
In general, Heavy denotes more muscle relaxation and/or sedation. Heady can indicate any of the following: euphoria, giddiness, focus, alertness/stimulation, and more.

Heady cultivars are often better suited for the daytime, whereas Heavy ones are more appropriate for evening hours.
There are also "balanced" kavas that have heady/heavy effects in equal measure (like GHK's Mahakea, in my experience).

If you're familiar with cannabis then I feel this is an accurate analogy:
Heady = Sativa
Heavy = Indica

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Okay yes I am familiar with cannabis. Is the 11 year waka a heady kava? What would you recommend as a good heady micronized kava?

WaltonGroggins

a.k.a. "Kount Grogula"
Okay yes I am familiar with cannabis. Is the 11 year waka a heady kava? What would you recommend as a good heady micronized kava?

I haven't tried the 11 Year Waka, and the only micro I've used so far is GHK's Mahakea...
However, if you're seeking a heady instant* kava, then look no further than KWK's instant Pouni Ono.
It far exceeded my expectations (which were fairly high, due to its popularity with heady-leaning KF users). I started with 3tsp and adjusted from there.

*instant & micronized are both fine powders with identical preparation and about equal potency, in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.