What's new

Mystery kava

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
For those of you that may not know, I am in Brazil, taking care of some family business, I brough kava with me but I ran out. There is something here called "Mercado Livre" which translates to Free Market AKA Amazon, lol. I am going to take a page from Shakas's book and order some. I sent a message to seller to find out where the kava is from before I order. It's roughly $33 a pound w/ free shipping.

I hope I can find out where it's from before I pull the trigger, I doubt I'll be able to find out much more than the region, I think expecting a COA is a pipe dream, lol. Here's hoping this will be a good one.

Ironically, the prep details call for it to be boiled...yuck!

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...e-gratis-_JM?quantity=1&variation=39255930576

Zaphod

Kava Lover
For those of you that may not know, I am in Brazil, taking care of some family business, I brough kava with me but I ran out. There is something here called "Mercado Livre" which translates to Free Market AKA Amazon, lol. I am going to take a page from Shakas's book and order some. I sent a message to seller to find out where the kava is from before I order. It's roughly $33 a pound w/ free shipping.

I hope I can find out where it's from before I pull the trigger, I doubt I'll be able to find out much more than the region, I think expecting a COA is a pipe dream, lol. Here's hoping this will be a good one.

Ironically, the prep details call for it to be boiled...yuck!

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...e-gratis-_JM?quantity=1&variation=39255930576
Just live stream the first few shells. If you keel over or your liver spontaneously combusts we will call the Brazilian authorities for you to come get your remains.:(

On a more serious note - not sure on your time frame but I am sure us forum members could round up a few lbs to ship to you directly if it came down to it....

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just live stream the first few shells. If you keel over or your liver spontaneously combusts we will call the Brazilian authorities for you to come get your remains.:(
Lol, sadly they wouldn't really give two shits about it, there is something here called SUS, which is healthcare for all. Unfortunatelly it sucks and the majority of people have private insurance.
On a more serious note - not sure on your time frame but I am sure us forum members could round up a few lbs to ship to you directly if it came down to it....
I sent a message to Squanch and I could have a pound sent down here in 6-10 days, worst case scenario, but I appreciate the thought. :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Go for it! All I’d do is sniff the bag and taste some powder. If it looks, smells and tastes like familiar kava...I’d dive right it. ::chugger::
Yeah I figured for $33 a pound and/or $66 for a kilo, it wouldn't hurt to try it, if it's decent enough, I'll bring a couple kilos back with me. (y)

Still no answer from the vendor, never a good thing. Maybe they live by the philosophy of "Island time".

Update: Got the answer this morning, the vendor tell me it's from the Pacific...No shit, I guess I had/have to be more specific and asked again which Island it is from!? :banghead:

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Deixe cozinhar por 3 - 4 minutos a partir do momento em que se inicia a ebulição, após esse tempo, retire do fogo e deixe repousando, tampada, por 10 minutos.

então vomitar!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Looking at it on the site it's screaming Solomon's Islands to me. That funny yellow tinge that looks similar when it comes out the other end. :facepalm:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Update: Got the answer this morning, the vendor tell me it's from the Pacific...No shit, I guess I had/have to be more specific and asked again which Island it is from!? :banghead:
You know how kava makes its way through family connections... maybe it's... authentic Hawaiian Portagee ʻAwa :D

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
In case anyone is curious how Portuguese people ended up in Hawaiʻi or what the deal with Frank DeLima's humor is, try listen to braddah Andy Bumatai.

And he's right. There's a difference between celebrating local culture, and just being mean. Like, where I grew up in Pennsylvania, the "Portagee" jokes were Polish instead. You know why? Because there were lots of Polish people and they thought it was funny too. Most of the time, anyway.

Besides, Polish cabbage makes you go future way more than beans.

What? Fut? Dig yo butt, all the way to Pizza Hut. If you don't, I don't care. You can smell my underwear.
-- One local kine rhyme, in case you go future...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
In case anyone is curious how Portuguese people ended up in Hawaiʻi or what the deal with Frank DeLima's humor is, try listen to braddah Andy Bumatai.

And he's right. There's a difference between celebrating local culture, and just being mean. Like, where I grew up in Pennsylvania, the "Portagee" jokes were Polish instead. You know why? Because there were lots of Polish people and they thought it was funny too. Most of the time, anyway.

Besides, Polish cabbage makes you go future way more than beans.

What? Fut? Dig yo butt, all the way to Pizza Hut. If you don't, I don't care. You can smell my underwear.
-- One local kine rhyme, in case you go future...
Traditionally Brazilians poke fun at people from Portugal, as Americans poke fun at Polish people.